Does the algorithm choose addresses for each postcrossers fairly?

If we want to have a problem fixed in the algorithm, we need to get the facts together to show what is the problem, was what I was saying with my statement on data/evidence.

If all we do here is venting opinions, I indeed need no evidence.

When somebody truly believes the system is unfair, I want to help find out the reason behind that as it can be so many type of reasons.

As for your wish to have the postcrossing team explain the algorithm, someone else already quoted their reaction on that from another thread.

I noticed that quotation. Thank you for your informing again.
I am sorry for my poor English in advance, but does the contents in that quotation explains whether the algorithm has preference to different users when choosing address? I did not see the details. I think my poor English is to blame.

Haha, you are right. Unless you have a quantum computer, nothing will be truly really random :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: But letā€™s be honest, for most cases the current pseudo-random algorithms are more than sufficient. Definitely good enough for postcrossing! :joy:

2 Likes

The reply diverted the discussion on algorithm per se to personal abuse. Too bad displacement happens frequently, as it is irrelevant, sentimental and only for the sake of argument. Apparently individual users are not a valid variable or concept in the realm of algorithm. Emphasising the ontology of individual users works somewhere else, but not this thread. Moreover, postcrossing sent stats for year 2021 to presumably all users; what follows ā€˜in 2021 you sent postcards toā€™ is a list of countries and regions, not of names of all individual users. In this light, itā€™s rightful and reasonable to react to the stats following its own logic and presentation.

This brings me back to my previous argumentā€¦ I wonder if Postcrossing would stop emphasising the country distribution, would discussions about country variety stop? Or would people eventually make their own stats and weā€™d go back to similar discussion?
(this is a question for everyone, not just to you, @yirobinson, it just followed from your words :)).

3 Likes

@yirobinson

Every person is entitled to his or her / their own opinion !

It should be treated with respect !
Calling the opinions of others who do not agree with you ā€œirrelevantā€, ā€œsentimentalā€, ā€œshort-sightedā€ and even ā€œpersonal abuseā€ (all your words) is showing no respect to others !

10 Likes

Are you a troll? I honestly donā€™t understand what you
want.

8 Likes

There have been many times before when I was very tempted to post this song instead of spilling more words.

But tonight, well, here it is:

WHERE IS THE LOVE ?

7 Likes

I donā€™t know if you want me to answer this question or if it was just rhetorical :slight_smile: but to be sure, I really donā€™t want this kind of thing happening. Each member is equally important, no matter where they live.

I was only writing about it, because if members wanted to have aqually from different countries, itā€™s not possible, unless each country had the same amount, ā€œsame speedā€ active members. Of course then also should be made sure, that not too many Finns send only to Austrians etc and it would be totally different thing then, not anymore like Postcrossing is, and I donā€™t see it will happen in a realistic world :slightly_smiling_face: which Iā€™m happy for.

2 Likes

Iā€˜m from Germany too and just started with postcrossing a few days ago. Honestly it makes me sad reading some people dont like sending/ receiving cards to/ from us. It just takes a whole of my euphoria.
Everybody should think about that youā€˜re not sending cards to countries. Youā€˜re sending cards to peolpe.

26 Likes

Please donā€™t feel undervalued about it, I think what have been presented and discussed in this topic are only small minorities of whatā€™s happening in the official site of postcrossing. Iā€™m sure there are many postcrossers that see other postcrossers as a person rather than a destination! I totally agree that weā€™re sending cards to persons not to a country of origin. Welcome and Happy postcrossing!

9 Likes

@ChrisstP I receive a lot of cards from Germany AND I love receiving cards from Germany. For me, this is a big plus of Postcrossing :wink:

2 Likes

@doryfera Thank you so much for your reply. Itā€™s warming up my heart that you appreciate cards from Germany.:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I can personally relate to this pattern too, illusionary as it may be. However, if the algorithm did treat newbies (users with fewer than 50 sent or received postcards) preferentially in terms of the variety of destinations, then it would probably create an incentive for people (in particular those who are more fixated on so-called rare countries) to open a minor account, which I donā€™t think is a trend Postcrossing wants to see at all. Since such bias seems to do more harm than good, motivation to do so sounds very unlikely.

3 Likes

ChrissyP- First I want to say welcome to Postcrossing! I have been a member for many years and have gotten cards from all over the world. Today I got 4 official cards all from Germany and I never get tired of it! :heart: I send and receive cards from people, not countries. I hope you get many great cards in your mailbox. :grinning::star:

8 Likes

I wonder if travel mode is actually altering peopleā€™s expectations too, as I get the impression that for a lot of ā€œrareā€ countries most cards are sent during travel mode, so thereā€™s no user there to actually send a card back to. Antarctica is case in point, no one sends there, even though cards are sent from there.

Between that, and the incredible amount of postal restrictions across the world which also limit who can choose whomā€¦ Iā€™m always impressed with the thought and effort that does into managing this project.

7 Likes

Hey, hey, a lot of us also say we love to send postcards to Germany! Itā€™s relatively cheap and fast!

And yes, you are right. We send postcards to people, not to countries, and in that sense it makes no difference where to send them. And because of that, I wouldnā€™t take it personally when they complain. They complain about the lack of variety, not about the character of the recipients, for example.

However, it would be healthy to make a different approach. Iā€™ve got a map and I paint the countries I receive or send to. But I printed other maps for Germany, Russia and the EEUU and the goal with those three is to colour every LƤnder, Oblast and State, so I perceive Iā€™m drawing addresses from really different places.

5 Likes

I guess would not only one minor account but they would close the minor account, if they reached 50 received cards and then open a new one. Also people would have several minor accounts to the same time. People would finish postcrossing, if they mean to have enough different countries. Thatā€™s not the purpose of postcrossing.

1 Like

In a proper discussion, itā€™s important to differentiate between being critical to certain phenomena and showing no respect to users. The arguments on this side primarily focused on the algorithm but received subsequent counter-arguments targeting at persons and applying negative verbs. In this light, it certainly falls into personal abuse. In essence, some usersā€™ satisfaction of the status quo shall not and will not overrule the othersā€™ concerns. Simultaneously, the concerns over algorithm are not raised for other users, but the management team. Such concerns will only be alleviated through official and reasonable explanations. Thatā€™s it.

I joined Postcrossing about 10 years ago and before I did I had a look at the Countries and the Stats. Iā€™m no mathemetician but I could easily see where 50% of my cards would come from and a few more countries making up the other 50%. I also assumed from time to time Iā€™d get a card from a ā€œrareā€ country. And thats pretty much what has happened ever since.

I couldnā€™t be bothered checking all the newbies to see if they have more rare countries than me but there is no reason to think so. I often look through the gallery and there arenā€™t heaps of rare countries and probably less now that people are travelling a lot less. It is what it is and people who want ā€œrareā€ countries all the time should look at other ways to achieve that.

Iā€™m active on the forum and that enables me to get more variety and cards according to my wish list. Then family and friends send or give their postcards and Iā€™ve got some lovely ones from people who are giving up Postcrossing. I donā€™t care if the card is not addressed to me. Buy on-line.

My understanding is that the people who run Postcrossing, moderate etc. are not in paid positions and run the project for altruistic reasons. It costs nothing to join in, you can see before you join up where most of your postcards are going to and coming from so instead of looking for some conspiracy theory, I prefer to enjoy my postcards and if there comes a time I donā€™t enjoy it, Iā€™ll just stop sending :sunglasses:

34 Likes