Does the algorithm choose addresses for each postcrossers fairly?

You are right, here is one suggestion about it being mandatory for only some countries, I don’t like it, but of course it’s good to discuss and I’m not the one who decides :slight_smile: :

But back to topic: every now and then, when I get a new member, I remember this thread. Last time the new member with I think a little over 10 sent and received, only had the most common countries.

Of course sometimes it happens that a new member gets a rare country, but also old member. New member doesn’t necessarily know what country is rare, so it doesn’t matter.

And it’s not easy to think about the fairness, when we don’t know if the member prefers to send to a rare country, or would rather send in their own country for example. (Someone can think it’s unfair that a new member must send to very far, some can think it’s unfair that they only get the three most common ones - in that way I think the algorithm is fair, it doesn’t ask the feelings, it only gives the address within the few preferences and restrictions.)

3 Likes

After reading all these concerns I decided to check my own country and repeated…just drew 10 addresses, all US. So I saved a bunch of postage and hopefully they travel a little faster. Maybe I can just send domestically all summer!

I would never want the own country option to be mandatory, but I occasionally I check the repeated box to help reduce the backlog (such as the need to draw China addresses 2 years ago).

2 Likes

This conversation has raised a sufficient number of good points that I’m unsure whether or not I myself should turn on “Repeated” for the good of the community.

So let me ask you all, should I?

• Yes, Turn On Repeated
  • No, Keep Repeated Off
0 voters

For background, I just started Postcrossing in January 2024 and while I’ve had “Same-Country” on since the beginning, I am from the U.S.

Now, I can only have 8 active cards traveling at once right now, so I’m unlikely to make a dent in any overall U.S. backlog, but I can try for a while if that’s what the community thinks needs happen!

1 Like

you are new so enjoy all the wonderful variety that you can…old folks like me can carry a bit more of the load. I had 30 slots open so I can make a bigger dent. But one day consider helping out with the backlog…for now, just relax and enjoy all you can!!

3 Likes

Depends what you want! I have had repeated on sincei joined (I turn it off every once in awhile for fun), mostly because with all the German address, cards travel quickly so I get to send more! So there are bonuses as well :grin:

2 Likes

By now I have to conclude that the system works very random and for the feeling of a participant unfairly. I get the same countries over and over again. A friend, joining Postcrossing through me, being here 5 months shorter, has already got 10!!! more countries than me. Also, she has almost more send and received because she gets the countries that are nearer and so the card arrive quicker.
Its frustrating to me. Sorry to say so, but it is!!!

Don’t get me wrong, I love every adress I get and I sent a well-choosen card every time, even if it is a country where I have little hope of the card arriving. :four_leaf_clover::+1::two_hearts:

1 Like