Does the algorithm choose addresses for each postcrossers fairly?

That isn’t true. My address is also given out in batches. Sometimes the same day I draw addresses.

4 Likes

I also get batches sent same day, which I am not happy about as it takes my ratio of received above sent. And as I live in Australia the travel time is approximately over 30 days for my postcards to reach recipients, which means it takes awhile for me to balance the ratio up to receive more postcards. So far , I missed key times receiving birthday, Christmas and Easter cards. If I had a steady one sent after registering then I would be sure to get cards during these special occasions.

7 Likes

I don’t really care which country I send to. It’s more interesting to receive from unexpected places. But I’m happy with every postcard, because behind each one is a new person. I also want to say to people from countries with fewer users - when you get Germany or the USA again, there’s a good chance that for that person, your postcard will be the first from your country and will bring joy. Even sending 10 postcards to Germany - 10 recipients will get a postcard from a rare country for them. I currently live in Germany and always rejoice when I get a German address, as it means it will arrive sooner. Provided that people register incoming mail immediately. Unfortunately, many of my recipients register once or twice a month and then register a bunch of postcards at once, leading to inaccurate delivery data. And that’s important for me as a newcomer.

7 Likes

Well, even in Germany not everyone is getting mail every day. I know a lot of people who get mail only once a week.

In other countries people have to go to the post office and pick up their mail. If the next post office is far away not everyone has the chance to go there regularly.

6 Likes

Yes, I understand all the nuances and factors affecting registration and delivery. But sometimes it’s obvious that a person has little free time for registration, so systematically the mail is registered in batches 1-2 times a month.

4 Likes

It will get easier, when you can have more travelling.
Even when your received is more than sent, if you have cards travelling, those can arrive and your ratio is more sent again, even when you don’t do anything.

2 Likes

My traveling cards are running around 25% USA, 25% Germany, and 50% other.

1 Like

I might be the rare exception here…drew 10 names Saturday morning wth a nice variety. Only 1 to Germany and none to the US. They are going to India, Brazil, Australia, Korea, Japan, China, Finland and Netherlands. But maybe the recipients will be sad to get another card from the US?

4 Likes

Hi all! I’m very new to this, and have sent out 7 postcards so far. I do not have it ticked to send to repeated countries, which I might change to, as I drew Turkey, US, Japan, Malaysia, Germany, Taiwan, and China for my addresses. Thankfully my second sent postcard was the US address, so that was received fairly quickly, followed by the one to Japan. I feel like I will be waiting a long time before I am able to send more cards based on the countries the other ones are traveling to (minus Germany).

I’m not the most patient person, so this is a project in teaching me patience :slight_smile: I have a ton of postcards piled up and placed an order for some different stamp designs… and have no one to send them to. I know the rewards will pay off soon enough!

10 Likes

It gets easier the more you send, but those first months are so hard to wait!

Have you checked out the forum? I have gotten hundreds of cards from participating in Round Robins & Tags. Plus you can pick what sort of postcards you want, get to know members, and it’s a lot of fun!

2 Likes

I just started poking around in those. My brain is having a hard time wrapping around some of the things, but I did find someone looking for a postcard that I have so I messaged them for a swap.

I also participate in a group outside of Postcrossing where if anyone in the group is traveling that month, we all send a postcard to each other. Just started this month so that should get some mail coming. That is actually how I learned about Postcrossing and signed up when I found out!

6 Likes

The tag part of the forum might be a good place to start. I feel like it’s the easiest and most straightforward.

Welcome to PostCrossing!! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

I don’t remember who said it about the batches, but I decided to wait until I had at least 4 new addresses to pull together instead of 1 by 1 in order to get some “new” countries. I pulled 2 from Taiwan, 1 from Finland and 1 from Germany all within 2 minutes. Basically the same I always get (minus US) lol oh well. I had to give it a try :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Currently travelling and I don’t have the repeat setting enanled…

Have we figured out any tricks for sending to more rare countries yet?

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s unfairly but I do get a lot of Germany and Finland locations every time I request an address. I think that’s somewhere the most members are

3 Likes

How would you send to more rare countries when there are not enough members from rare countries? Or should those members get tons of postcards while others (those from countries with more members) receive less? Would this be more fair to satisfy the greed for rare countries?

Btw you have a gap of nearly 250 cards. These are also missing in the address pool. Ever thought about this? :wink:

17 Likes

Would be lovely to get rare countries, if only there was a postal connection with them to begin with!
And let’s remember, Postcrossing isn’t about collecting.
I love cards from/to Germany, because travel time is fast and cards don’t get lost.
I love Russia and USA, because I get beautiful illustration postcards not available in Europe.

When I started in 2011, I remember getting/sending to Japan multiple times, now it is a very rare country in my list.
And remember this
Big user-bases in USA and Finland (Canada too I think?) Don’t have postal connections with Russia, so now the rest of us, who do, have to pick up the pace.
Not only are there many members in repeat countries, but in Germany, there are many ‘hyper-active’, so to speak, members. To even be at the top 100 list of sent and received in that country is more than is needed in most orhers. So those user-bases do eat up a lot of space.
Like I don’t know what the send limit is for users with 10k, 25k postcards, but if there are so many of them, who also keep their limit bar to the fullest or close to it, then there is not much to do?
Anyway! Love you all, may your mail be full of love!

4 Likes

I am fairly new, only sent 32 (and 8 on the way). I have saved up open slots, because I wanted to send as many cards as I could from Andorra in Travel Mode. I drew 6 addresses:
Poland, Finland, Belarus, Germany, USA, Russia. Some of the addresses are long time members with over 4000 cards. I am so excited that all of them will receive their first card from Andorra :andorra:

21 Likes

Send limit is capped at 100 traveling cards and it won’t go up further, no matter how many you have sent.

5 Likes

I looked up Estonia on the postal monitor and it’s crazy, to which countries Estonia can not send. For example to Gibraltar (is there any problem going on in Gibraltar?), or Macau (you can send to China, why not to Macau?) or another example in Africa is Benin (I was last year in Benin, the international post works fine there). Maybe someone should ask the Estonian post, what is going on?

4 Likes