Do your handmade cards also get more often lost on the way?

Hey there,
I’m new in the postcrossing community, but I already find my watercolor painted postcards get more often lost on the way and never arrive. Do you made this experience with selfmade cards too?

4 Likes

Hello and welcome to the Postcrossing Forum! :slight_smile:

I have sent quite a few handmade postcards in the last few months and I don’t find that they get lost more easily than store-bought cards. I mostly make collages and they survive their trips amazingly well, even long-distance.
I mostly use cereal boxes as cardstock or blank postcards and they seem sturdy enough to make it through the sorting machines.

There are a few cards where I’m not sure if I may have to resend, but so far the loss hasn’t been significantly higher.

4 Likes

I’ve sent 4 cards without envelopes & they all arrived - one had a bit of damage from the sorting machines, but nothing serious.

1 Like

I would say handmade postcards (and handmade envelopes) travel waaaay slower, than just postcards

In all my 10 years of sending very weird handmade stuff through direct swaps, I count lost only 1 beermat which I sent, and two lost on the way to me (a sole of a shoe and a hand of a mannequin - objects more than cards xD)

4 Likes

[Sigh]

[Adds mannequin hands to profile wishlist]

To answer @Tull’s question: So far, I have not had any lost handmade cards–although I have put the more fragile ones in envelopes. I do try to make sure that I use adequate postage; sometimes non-standard sizes or shapes require a different rate. Good luck. :blush:

3 Likes

I think sometimes they take longer if they need to be hand-sorted. but no, I don’t think my loss/expire rate is different.

1 Like

My handmade cards seem to have the same fate as the commercially-made variety I’ve sent… Most make it, eventually! But one kind isn’t slower than the other.

1 Like

I think my lost cards have actually all been purchased ones, with my handmade ones having a success rate of 100%!

1 Like

I paint my handmade cards and to avoid serious damage I put them in envelopes. However some kinds of cardboard will bend and crack a little that is all that happens

1 Like

I send them mostly every day. And I found out that my handmade cards take longer to the USA … Like sometimes a month longer. But they arrive :slight_smile:
Especially if I send cards made out of wood.