Do you overpay?

For domestic, I’ll often use a 68¢ forever stamp on a postcard requiring 53¢ if the stamp theme is better aligned with the card and/or profile. We only have 2 options (sailboat or coral) for postcard valued stamps. Hundred of options in forever stamps.

For international, I use two forever stamps which then requires and additional 19¢. To make up the difference, I have a variety of older stamps ranging from 10¢ to 39¢, so I rarely reach 19¢ exactly. So yeah, I do overpay, but never by more than 20-30¢ anyway.

Sometimes, if the profile entices the option, I’ll use a combination of the older stamps to reach the domestic postage requirements as well.

4 Likes

I overpay by 5 cents for int’l cards so I can use 3 X 92 cent stamps on the card rather than 1 int’l stamp (the current design I’m not fond of). We have specific stamps at a much lower rate for the US from Canada. I like to send a good variety of stamps especially for those who collect them.

2 Likes

I overpay if it’s a special stamp. I have some collector friends who like certain stamps.

2 Likes

I can only echo @mchay , no wonder as we both are based in the Netherlands :grin: I pay a bit more as I’m buying stamps often not on a postal site but I’m trying to put the exact amount needed on the card. Before I found out where to buy older stamps I often overpaid putting two national stamps which haв better pictures and better choice instead of international oneы. From time to time I also order stamps with the pictures I like and it also makes sending costs a bit higher.

2 Likes

Hello! Quick question: so would I be able to use any combination of stamps (for example, 2 Forever Stamps + 2 x $0.10 stamps) to send a postcard internationally? I’m also mailing from the US

3 Likes

That’s exactly what I do sometimes.

2 Likes

Abs

Absolutely. The forever stamps have the current domestic letter rate value. Just add the additional 19¢ with other stamps and you’re good to go. You can find a large variety of older US stamps on eBay, often at less than face value.

Here is one I sent a few weeks ago…

and another…

3 Likes

Yes, any $1.55 combination.

2 Likes

Awesome! Thank you!

I don’t overpay though I use more than one stamp. There’s a lot of beautiful stamps of various values in Russia, and I always have enough of them to combine the necessary amount.

1 Like

I think I overpay all the time because I don’t have a lot of different stamps. Plus, I don’t really have the patience to figure it out (thanks ADHD). I’ve been doing Postcrossing since April (just passed 100 cards sent!) and just purchased actual domestic postcard stamps for the first time this week. This thread is encouraging me to explore more variety in stamps!

Never. Postage is waaay too expensive here for me to even consider paying more than the exact value.

I have to use multiple stamps anyway because since the last rise of prices we don’t even have stamps with the exact values I could use. There are a few minisheets available with one of the current rates but such a minisheet covers almost half of the postcard, where would I have the space for address&message then? :wink:

I have never seen that soccer/futbol stamp! Love it. Thanks for sharing with us. :blush:

2 Likes

For minimum math: two Forevers plus 2 10’s, or one extra-ounce 24, is probably your best bet.

1 Like

In my opinion it was quite nice if the stamp was larger or if they incorporated a magnifying glass.

2 Likes

You mean the current Cdn int’l stamp of Cape Breton Highlands? It’s just the wrong pic for a stamp that size. And it’s too bad as that is a spectacular place to visit but you can’t really tell where or what it is at that size.

3 Likes

I try very hard not to overpay, which is why I have a cheat sheet of current stamp combinations adding up to various amounts!

My current usual international combination is either:

1. Forever (68¢) + 2× 40¢ + 5¢ + 2¢ (5 stamps); or
  2. Forever (68¢) + 2× 40¢ + 4¢ + 3¢ (5 stamps).

Yes, that is exactly what I mean!

1 Like

I usually don’t overpay since I bought a stash of low value old commemorative stamps on Ebay, which I combine with current commemoratives to make the rate. The old stamps are much better designed, but would take up too much space if they were all I used.

If I sent a letter < 20gr outside the Netherlands, I have to pay € 1,75.
Now I could use the current stamps in Holland, which will show “1” on it, or I could use the older stamps prior to the '1" and ‘2’ stamps and then you need to make sure that you at least have € 1,75.

Which isn’t always possible. For example if I only have stamps of 44 cent, I will need to use 4 stamps put will pay 1 cent too much. But if I only have stamps with 39 cents on it, I will need to use 5 stamps since 4 is only € 1,56 and with 5 stamps I overpay with 20 cents…