Do you make postcards by yourself?

@gRapEsAndLemons I’ve never thrown away a postcard, but somehow I’ll have to begin some cleaning out because they really begin you use space… But I wouldn’t throw away an unique artwork created especially for me. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

@max_charly I’ve once recieved a collage card made by used stamps. It had a protective cover over the stamps, looking like a varnish, not like foil.

I’ve also recieved cards which were put in tight fitting plastic pouches (from Asian countries during the rain season) - I guess they were posted at a post office with hand cancellation, so the stamped card could be put inside the protective cover before beginning its travel.

Isn’t there a topic about handmade cards on the forum? Perhaps you could ask there again. :wink:

1 Like

We have a very lively thread about creative projects in the German language community:

Alles rund ums Basteln und Kreativ sein

It has a lot of resources and even tutorials, and of course you can ask questions any time!

2 Likes

Very cute :slight_smile:

1 Like

Wow, so many mail artists! That makes me really happy. I love self-made cards! Is there a special corner/list in this new forum to sign up for a swap of self-made ones only?

1 Like
1 Like

I make:
painted cards, collage cards and drawn cards

Elo all,
Happy New Year!!

Please teach me how you make your own postcards.
Those who print, which software do you use?

I want to make mine too.

I think handmade are awesome. So much more time and effort has gone into it.
I love making my own.
And it’s a bit boring just buy one.

3 Likes

I usually use a photo I took by myself. When I send to somebody who states “no handmade” or “no photo” I send something else buying somewhere.
Meanwhile as I let printing company the photo postcard printed, I have excess cards. (Printing company only allows to print over 30 cards or it costs too much) So I’m planning to sell the cards somewhere. Does somebody have any ideas? I can imagine only ebays or etsy. With Yahoo! auction or Mercari you can sell only in Japan.

2 Likes

Hi, shpock, kleiderkreisel, momox
Have a good day

I’ve never done nor sent homemade cards. I have had ordered cards to be printed. I don’t consider printed cards homemade because technically you paid for them and a printing service such as vistaprint or gotprint made them with the same way that your store bought cards are made.

2 Likes

Interesting definition. To me a card still counts as “handmade” if the intellectual property rights on the card are my own. If I took a photo and use it as a card it is handmade to me and it is irrelevant if my old printer at home or a shiny one at a printing service was used. I honour other peoples printed cards in the same spirit. (In my postcard collection all homemade cards are stored separately.) I am aware that this is not the common interpretation of “handmade”, just wanted to put my thoughts on this subject out there. :face_with_peeking_eye:

6 Likes

I occasionally use one of my drawings on a postcard. I also have quite a few store bought cards from around my state. I love to see what other amateur artist are doing. I like all types of cards from folks.

23 Likes

Yes I make postcards myself such as this one but I also buy many postcards and send them out. It really depends on what the post-crosser prefers.

15 Likes

I will avoid sending my Zazzle cards to someone adamant about “No handmade cards!” fearing they meant purchased-only. As I mentioned elsewhere, they’re great for using the message space to write a description/explanation instead of something more mundane.

1 Like

I make Zentangles on post cards and send those out.

2 Likes

Here’ a couple of my handmade postcards, I’ve been looking through some of the pics here & would be happy to receive any of them.

5 Likes

I

love making and receiving handmade postcards. I made a few flower and abstract postcards and sent them out to different people.

Here are them:

3 Likes

I like to make and send and receive handmade cards (they are always unique!), but I try to send only to profiles which request them, or as private swaps. I put time and effort into making cards and I don’t want to send them to someone who won’t appreciate them. I also try to match the subject matter to the receiver’s wishlist. If I don’t have something I think they’d like, I’ll just send a normal postcard.

I mostly paint mine with watercolors and so far they’ve held up well and been well received, even when I’ve sent without an envelope.

4 Likes