All about handwriting

The problem might be less cursive vs print, but more what everyone’s own personality made of the taught letters over time … :slight_smile: Some develop a real “Sauklaue” (German for really bad, illegible handwriting, literally “pig claw”).

As @Wolfsmondfee wrote, my own personal handwriting is a mix between print and cursive. When I write very fast without care it’s not always that legible to outsiders. I’m more careful in sending out cards esp. when the Latin script is not their first language.

7 Likes

Wow how mind blowing! Never thought about this as I had it in school as well. Didn’t know they don’t teach it anymore. What do they teach now? Just Blockschrift?! Or what? XD

1 Like

I usually can make out the general content from the cursive handwriting, but sometimes it depends on how cursive it is too. I think the hardest part would be to decipher the name, because the name might not be one which I am familiar with, especially for European countries. And I like to start my message to the Postcrosser when I register the postcard with a “Hi (name)”. Unfortunately, I can’t do that for names I cannot seem to make out. :cold_sweat: I might have accidentally butchered some names which I deciphered wrongly, and I always feel bad for it.

Personally, I don’t write in cursive, even though I have learnt the basics of it.

6 Likes

Oh… those are hard, specially when everything looks like u’s and the a’s and o’s are pretty much the same.

And my teacher says I should write w’s and z’s this way when writing in German… :thinking:

Yes, names can be tricky! Sometimes I google the name I understood plus the country to find out if I got it right. But if I don’t trust my findings I just leave the name out of the message.

4 Likes

I’ve actually had a discussion with friends about this a few days ago, I also usually add the dash in the middle of the Z and I remember being taught to write it this way, but apparently this isn’t the “official” way to do it according to the Vereinfachte Ausgangsschrift. It really is a mystery.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that… But I will remember about it when I write a postcard for person from asia. Thank you for letting me know! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When I am not sure about the name, I compare the letters in the name with the letters in the message. The message consists of words I know so it gives me kind of a library of how this person writes each letter. I found this trick works quite well for me.

3 Likes

Here is the cursive I grew up on:

And here is cursive from the early 1900s:

9 Likes

Wow, I wouldn’t recognize that capital G in first sight (of course the context and the rest of the word usually make it much easier).

The cursive from the early 1900s is beautiful! I don’t know if I could reproduce it though.

3 Likes

@angelicca

The early 1900s one would be challenging to me. There are a few different styles of a few letters in there like: F, S, T. :slight_smile:

1 Like

As someone who is a current young adult, I know that we got three weeks of instruction in third grade and I can’t even develop a signature for myself. I can’t speak on the youth of other countries but I personally have a hard time reading it unless it is basically just wavy print. I would say write with it if you feel like it but keep in mind the age on the profile if they are from North America at least.

That is because there is no one cursive taught in Germany, but many different ones… I know that my mother didn’t want me to visit one of the elementary schools close by because they taught a cursive (Vereinfachte Ausgangsschrift) that she disliked a lot! So I was sent to another school (that was nearly the same distance, but taught Lateinische Ausgangsschrift).

5 Likes

As I know it was used to until a few years ago in Turkey but then system changed.
I think almost everyone can read.

2 Likes

I can read mostly any cursive, but I don’t use it because, well maybe it isn’t that readable to all.
I have learnt this one (and it is still learned in school but gradually starting to be something of the past)

1 Like

It’s the same in Poland. I also always write in cursive, unless someone mentions they can’t read it. I had no idea that something like “printing script” even existed, at first I thought writing in block/capital letters was meant by that.

obraz

There is something called “pismo techniczne” here (“technical script”), this might be similar to printing but is normally not taught at all in school.

obraz

5 Likes

:sweat_smile: We have different versions depending on your age and the script you were taught at school but nobody learns to write “W” with the two lines crossing over each other. And many Germans strike through their Zs but it is not required either. I fear you have been lied to. :pensive:

From many similar misspellings of my name, I concluded that many Americans have trouble with my cursive “s” vs. “r” and I thought that’s probably because I learned a different cursive script than they do overseas. But looking at the alphabets you all posted in this topic, the versions of “s” don’t look that different! Maybe my recipients were simply unfamiliar with any kind of cursive writing because they never learned it. :thinking:

For me, the local differences in our scripts are not so much the problem. It’s everyone’s individual script. Some people write very clearly while others write either fancily with lots of unnecessary (but beautiful!) added swirls and circles as distracting decorations or others simply have messy handwriting. And especially bad handwriting is still easier to read if it is written in print letters instead of cursive. And especially especially if the reader is used to a completely different writing system, e.g. Chinese, and/or just started learning English, I imagine that cursive can be very difficult to read.
Most of the time, I refrain from making it even more complicated by writing in cursive even though I really want to because it looks more beautiful… Since I learned that cursive is not taught in the US anymore, I even think twice about writing in cursive to that country, too, although they should be familiar with the English language and I have rather clear handwriting imo but my experience says, no, better write in print…

The Sütterlin script some people already mentioned hasn’t been taught since it was replaced in WWII. Because Hitler apparently still had enough time to replace our writing system. Because Gothic font was allegedly created by Jews and also German propaganda had to be legible in foreign countries, too, it was replaced by “normal” Antiqua font. And subsequently, the cursive script that was taught at school was replaced as well. Well, that was very long ago. And nowadays, most Germans can’t read the script anymore so there is not a high probability of any of you receiving a postcard written in it. Interestingly, Sütterlin (and other Kurrentschriften) looks a lot like cursive Cyrillic script!

3 Likes

My cursive style is closer to the early 1900 style you posted rather than the modern style. It’s also why I mostly print on my postcards. Almost no one seems to be able to read my cursive accurately.

2 Likes

I learned cursive writing in home school not sure if it’s normal to learn at public school though.

I do exactly this, too! Or I search for a list of common names in that country and see if I can match one to my Postcrosser. :joy: Sometimes, it even works!

This has worked for me, too! (Not always, but it helps!)

@syaffolee, apparently you and I time-traveled together when we learned cursive, because that’s the version I learned, too, in the late (19)90s. :sweat_smile:

My natural handwriting is a hybrid of cursive and print, and it’s very italic. (I hold my paper at a steep angle when I write, and it shows.) In Postcrossing, though, I do make an effort to dial back the cursiv…ity? (Oh, wow–I just looked it up, and “cursivity” is a word) so that my writing is more legible. I especially try to make my name clear in hope that the recipient won’t have to endure the stress of having to guess it. (It stresses me out, at least.)

Although I can mostly decipher messages in cursive without a problem, it’s drastically easier when they’re printed.

3 Likes

It might be the way she learned. I don’t know which region of Germany she’s from and she also lived in Russia for a long time, but I don’t know if this changes the crossed w. It may just be her own handwriting or one she likes? Go figure. I find it amusing though, now I got used to writing this way too - I wonder if people think I’m advertising for a certain car brand :rofl:

2 Likes