Do stamps in your country expire? đŸ€”

It is the first time I hear of stamps expiring. They don’t in French Polynesia (as far as I know). Some stamps from over ten years ago are even still on sale - I was able to buy the previous year of the Tiger stamps - from 2010 !
In France, all the stamps that have been issued since 1849 (with a few exceptions) are valid : Question n°26004 - Assemblée nationale

1 Like

Maybe @IndonesiaRaya can help. Do you have the regulation or article?

2 Likes

@meiadeleite , @yudi
Our stamps never expire, according to
Ministry of Communication & Information Regulation Nr 21 Year 2012 article 7,
about Stamps

2 Likes

Postage stamps that are valid for postage in Australia at the current time are those:

• Inscribed “Australia”, from 14/02/1966 to current
  • Inscribed “Australian Antarctic Territory”, from 28/09/1966 to current
  • Inscribed “Christmas Island Australia”, from 4/03/1994 to current
  • Inscribed “Cocos (Keeling) Islands”, from 09/07/1969 to 02/09/1979
  • Inscribed “Cocos (Keeling) Islands Australia”, from 17/02/1994 to current
  • Inscribed “Norfolk Island Australia”, from 20/09/2016 to current
1 Like

Malaysian postage stamps do not expired and good to use as long the stamp is not cancelled.

Generally speaking people don’t use old stamps for posting mails due to resale value.

2 Likes

Does that mean currently valid stamps/banknotes with the queen will become invalid once the replacement King Charles are issued? Or just dial circulation until Queen Elizabeth versions are phased out?

No there will be a grace period, until Charles portrait is released, the Queen will still be used on stamps, banknotes and coins.

It won’t be till some time in 2023 when New stamps and coins will enter circulation.

And even then they will be used side by side until the Queen is all gone.

Once in circulation, a date will be announced for withdrawal and removal of older stamps, banknotes and coins.

3 Likes

Why 1933? Very curious to know :upside_down_face:

From the 1933 the Danish postal service started using a harder-to-copy technique. I’m sure 1933 stamps are trivial to copy today, but that’s just the cutoff for historical reasons.

3 Likes

The gulden ones did expire. For years gulden stamps (after 1980) could be used next to the euro ones. They expired suddenly, without an option to exchange. Many people got stuck with old stamps, they intended to use, not collect. Also for those gulden stamps, the claim was, they’d never expire (until they did :thinking: ).

1 Like

Im amazed that U.S.A. has certain stamp’s that actually change their value. Say the “additional ounce” stamp was originally (when I purchased them) 20c, then went to 21 cents, back to 20, and now is worth 24 cents :woman_facepalming:t4:. I’ll take it but makes me need to check its value each time I use it.

I just ordered some US stamps from the 1990s from a dealer. I buy them for face value and it’s a nice change from our Forevers that members are probably tired of seeing

1 Like

I think there is no rule here in Chile that indicates any expiration date for stamps. In fact, in the online store of Filatelia by Correos de Chile they have a list with all the stamps for sale and they have some from the early 1990s that are sold at the same value at that time (whose values are sometimes very low today due to inflation).

However, I do not know if stamps prior to 1975 can be used, since in that year the peso began to be used as national currency. Between 1960 and 1975 there was the “escudo” and before 1960 there was another “peso”.

Chinese stamps will not expire. It can be used as long as it is not contaminated, cancelled or damaged.

It is amazing that they were sold by their face value and not higher.

No expire for stamps issue in Thailand. :thailand:

We can use old stamps, even those with a certain value shown on the stamp (for those we just have to add as many on postcards/envelopes so that we get the correct value of the current price)

The stamps with no value on (only stating domestic/Europe/World) can be used as normal (no need to add any extra depending on when the stamp was bought).

Dealers often buy up estates from old collectors and end up with a lot of stock on hand. With this guy I look carefully as some of his product is marked up, but I’ll buy it it’s face value

1 Like

I think it is not possible in Ukraine if even Ukrposhta itself sells its leftovers with higher price.:sweat_smile: Though, I think it still makes it cheaper than buying from collectors. Ukrposhta sells with face value only the ones which are bound to the currancy rate (like 1$ or 1,5$) because they are costly to begin with.