Do larger postcards cost more to send? (USA)

unfortunately the wooden postcards will never be able to be sent for normal prices…they are rigid and not bendable…that immediately makes them a package according to the new regulations…I work for the post office in the usa

1 Like

Oh, darn! I’m sorry to hear that. I have a lot of Lantern Press wooden postcards in my stash. Guess I’ll just hang on to them :cry:

Edit: Would it be possible for you to post the new regulation? The only thing I can find in the International Mail Manual is section 241.217.e, regarding first class international mail, which looks like it allows a rigid item in an envelope, as long as it has an additional non-machinable surcharge.

that is where SOME clerks may let it slip thru…with the non-machineable…but the vast majority will not. the ones at my post office won’t but I usually put the postage on and slip it into the outgoing mail bin/slot rather than present it over the counter (the sorting plant people are not likely to reject things that can be iffy, they will assume it came over the counter). I would never pay the $17 price you had to. I would shop around until I found a clerk that let it thru…if you go to the website and select the calculator by size and shape…I chose letter size and content is rigid! I estimated 2oz for a piece of wood and got the end result of just under $3

I am not a clerk…I can only go by what I am told about the not bendable/rigid making it a package. looks like you have room to argue the next one if the website says it still be sent for just a special handling surcharge added.

1 Like

Thanks so much for that calculator, @Angeldreamer. I don’t have to be sad anymore: I weighed my wooden postcard (it’s a little hard to see the weight in the photo) and it’’s only 1 oz, so the calculator says $1.60, which is first class international postage ($1.30) plus the non-machinable surcharge ($0.30). I can still mail them after all, yay!

1 Like