Disable logins on the old forum

:laughing:

My mistake. Our galleries are on the new forum, no problems. Sorry to take up your time!

1 Like

Hello @paulo thanks for your kind message. You can delete my old data. I donā€™t use it anymore. Thanks a lot. With love from a very happy Postcrosser :two_hearts:

1 Like

Hi! I saved all the necessary information from the old forum on my computer. Now I only use the new forum. thanks for your kindness! my data can be deleted.
:heart::pray:t2:

Hello @paulo, how can I access the u2u on the old forum? I would like to double check if I still have any important messages left.

@guyt
I am not Paulo, but I can also give you an answer.
You can access your U2uā€™s just like you used it before .

1 Like

Iā€™ve done a quick run down for the U2Us to see if thereā€™s anything I should keepā€¦
Iā€™ll do it more thoroughly laterā€¦

Thanks for letting us know :sunglasses:

Thatā€™s really a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet thing to do,thank you Paulo.

There is one disadvantage when logins on the old forum are disabled:

Usernames on the official site and on the old forum often were different.
On the new forum, they have to be the same as the official Postcrossing user name.
Example: Our dear @meiadeleite was known in the old forum as Ana. Assumed that I have to search for my friend Ana from the old forum, I cannot find her here anymore, instead I find an Ukrainian user with this name.
As long as I can log in to the old forum, I can have a look at the member list and can see which offical postcrossing name is behind a forum name (old).
When logins are disabled, this possibility is gone.

1 Like

Hum, thatā€™s true. Unfortunately the ā€œPostcrossing usernameā€ field appears in the profile pages which wonā€™t be accessible anymore. Making profile pages visible without login would make public information that is not visible now (without login), which wouldnā€™t be correct.

I think itā€™s quite rare that to be needed, but could consider posting a list somewhere of all the (old) forum username/Postcrossing username combinations (those that differ) for reference, but I wonder if it may also cause some confusion too as the Postcrossing username may now belong to someone else entirely by now (which was true even before as there was no proper check other than that it existed an account with that username at the time).

1 Like

would be helpfulā€¦ (if you donā€™t have to put much work into thatā€¦)
I think if the list contains a note that the old username could now belong to someone else there will be no confusionā€¦

Just my thoughtsā€¦

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the advance notice, Paulo! I saw it late, but not too late. :slight_smile: In 2021 I tried to save my U2Us, but couldnā€™t log in, now it worked (after I remembered that the old forum is at forum.postcrossing.com - I couldnā€™t find a link on the Postcrossing homepage), and I have saved them all and deleted them afterwards. :slight_smile: All done now, thank you very much! Iā€™m very happy that you will keep the old forum available read-only - the information on past meet-ups and meet-up cards is very important for me. :+1:

1 Like

Following up on what we announced in May, today we have disabled the login on the old forum.

We have removed the most sensitive data from the database such as the email addresses and the existing (encrypted) passwords, as well as some other personal data like (old) social media links (MSN, Yahoo, ICQ, ā€¦). We have also removed all private messages (U2Us) on the database which was also one of our main concerns.

For those who may miss the mapping from an old forum username to the main website ones, thereā€™s a basic mapping list available here. It only includes those whose forum username didnā€™t match the main website one. We canā€™t guarantee any accuracy on that as it may have been wrong from the start (there was no proper check) and usernames on main website may have changed in the meantime too.

I donā€™t expect any further changes to the old forum and weā€™ll keep it running in the same read-only mode going forward, just without logins.

2 Likes

hmmmā€¦
Just found the first error, Kroete is not Turtles here but Kroete68ā€¦ :wink:
I then looked up the fourth Bielefeld-thread in the old forum, looking for posts from Kroete but I found none! I have saved this thread and when I saved it in the past there were 17 pages - now only 14ā€¦ so lots of posts are missingā€¦ I doubt that they were deleted by usersā€¦
any idea, why?

Youā€™ll have to bring that up with her. :stuck_out_tongue:

Hereā€™s some: one, two.

That I donā€™t knowā€¦ if you can email me your copy Iā€™ll see if I can make sense of the differences.

ok, ok, I didnā€™t check all pages, I was looking for certain posts.

BUT!
Just forget and forgive meā€¦
I compared the English thread to the German threadā€¦
:blush:

1 Like

Hello,

Iā€™m returning after successfully finding my username. Is there ANY way to recover my messages (u2us)?

Thank you.

Regards,

Randy

Ainā€™t no way

It doesnt apear that U2Us are available at all. Can you see them? I am looking only for my u2us.

nobody can see them, they are no longer available, no way to access them.

1 Like