"Dear Journalist" community challenge — May's destination: Iceland 🇮🇸

Witch country would you do next after Iceland?

1 Like

Not sure! I think we should perhaps see if there’s any impact from this kind of action, before deciding to go ahead with more campaigns. :sweat_smile:

Assuming it goes well, which next countries would you pick? I’ve more or less detailed some criteria above: a country with a reasonable GDP per capita, a well-functioning postal service, where English is spoken or taught and relatively few postcrossers. Any suggestions?

2 Likes

India meets all of these criteria and compared to our population, we have very few Postcrossing members.

2 Likes

What about oversea territories or an arab country or Israel?

2 Likes

Excellent idea! Count me in. I will choose a card and address tomorrow. Just for the record, I’m not doing this because I’m eagerly waiting for my first postcard from Iceland, but because I find this such a great hobby and am convinced that many other people who have never heard of Postcrossing, may share my opinion.

3 Likes

I am so in! I will send one to “IceNews” as there are no check marks listed! Great idea!

4 Likes

I’m sending to IceNews :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hurray to you both! :tada: I’ve added your little ticks :heavy_check_mark: to the wiki.

Mine went off yesterday — safe travels!

4 Likes

Iceland has ONE new user! :confetti_ball:

Ok, it’s definitely not as a result of this campaign, since our postcards haven’t had enough time to arrive to their destinations, but still — it’s a 0.4% increase, and I give everyone permission to celebrate it while we wait patiently for postcards to arrive!

19 Likes

I sending out this colourful Germany Postcard to Viðskiptablaðið.
I already set a checkmark in the wiki.

5 Likes

Norway fits the bill. Some 15 times more inhabitants than Iceland, yet only 5 times as many Postcrossers. And we already have a perfect program to showcase it in, if you can find a member willing to show off their collection and hobby, a show that’s been going for years visiting regular people and their little quirks of life.

4 Likes

Antarctica sounds intriguing. Considering there are 4,400 inhabitants and presently 2 existing Postcrossers💌

UPDATE⬆️NM
After reading more into it, Antartica does not meet the requirements. As flights are scarce and there are many more countries to choose from. Carry on with your ideas🤗

1 Like

I know May is almost over, but what about sharing postcrossing with the Iceland Subreddit? That community has ≈ 53,000 members. I think if the post would be well received if it were written by someone who lives in Iceland (keeping in mind their community guidelines.)

If nothing else, maybe we could ask that subreddit for suggestions on groups that may be interested in exchanging postcards (libraries, schools, after-school groups, clubs etc.)

2 Likes

Luxembourg and San Marino are good ones, too. San Marino has 0 members and 0 received cards.

I am a Radio lover :heart_eyes: , so I buy World Radio TV Handbook (WRTH) every year! :blush:
I send these cards to radio station Rás1, Rás 2, and FM957, :smile:

6 Likes

Great, so hope you buy the 75th anniversary edition! :blush:

1 Like

So, May ended and we have just one new members in Iceland, which is a little sad…

What do you all think? Was one month perhaps not enough time? Should I have promoted this topic a bit more, to have some more participation? Do we give it a go with another country in June, or do we chalk this up as a failed experiment and move on? :thinking:

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome!

1 Like

Did you get any feedback from icelandic media? Did they contact you and do you know of any publications about postcrossing?
Maybe we should give it some more time (long travel times…) and a second try with another country?

1 Like

The postcards arrived with the journalists this month, a seed might have been planted. :seedling:

I believe it’s too early to draw conclusions on the rise of members from Iceland, that can only be expected after the journalist created a story.
So better to draw conclusions on feedback from them, did someone reach out to the post crossing team?

1 Like

And another thought on this topic:
The postcards were sent to the newspaper, radiostation, TV channel without specifying a recipient. How are the chances of such cards to reach the actual journalists and not ending their journey on the mailclerk’s writing desk? Maybe for the next country it could be better to invest more time in the research of suitable TV or radio shows (with the help of local postcrossers) and then adress the postcards to the editorial staff of these shows instead of the channel/station in general…

2 Likes