Date & weather info

I always write my date so the month is written.
Like today: 25th August 2022 Oulu, Finland +14,7 C
Sometimes I use date stamp which shows August as “aug”, and if the card has my city name on the other side, I don’t always write the place.

Most of the cards, letters or any notes, I write the date, place and temperature. And the current temperature, so the reader could imagine what it was like when I wrote it, if they care.
I did it when I wrote my diary, and as a child I had a cardboard piece in our car, where I wrote where we were going :smiley: with date etc. I even kept a sticker under my desk, and wrote a date when I cleaned it, and the time and music I was listening. It’s a habit.

But sometimes I’m confused what day it is, so my date can be wrong :grin:

2 Likes

Well, as most of us learnt English as a second language, we also learnt about the different ways of writing the date. So in America 5/1 will be the first of May. Still, you never know with a card from let’s say Pakistan, whether the postcrosser there adopted the English or the American way…
So, yeah, that’s why I also go for “1 May” or “May 1” most of the time :slight_smile:

1 Like

These days the conversion is done very simply: Just oopen “Google” and type “89 Fahrenheit Celsius” and you… MIGHT get an answer. :upside_down_face: Just noticed it doesn’t work just as beautifully for you as it does for me. If you write “32 celsius fahrenheit”, a neat little calculator shows up as the first search result :slight_smile:

Anyway, I’d say you may just as well go ahead with Fahrenheit and let people do some Maths - or just be totally shocked it could be 94 degrees anywhere in the world :wink:

1 Like

I usually write the date and the current temperature. And I really like it when the sender of the postcard wrote it for me as well. We can find it on google, of course. And photos and interesting pictures too. But we prefer postcards … :slight_smile:

1 Like

I always write the date, weather and location on my cards.
When the cards travel to the US, I also write the temperature in Fahrenheit :slight_smile:
Not only do I find this information very interesting on the cards I receive, but it also helps to find the cards easier in the system should the ID not be there/readable for some reason. With the date, my city and the first name I always sign with, the Postcrossing team should be able to find any of my cards quickly.

4 Likes

I struggle with missing or blurred postmarks, that’s why I’m grateful when the sender writes the date and location. To me that’s necessary information for a postcard. But it seems most people don’t mind about it.

5 Likes

It is also worth mentioning that sometimes the stamps are cancelled with a marker or pen and the postmark is missing. If the postal worker wanted to do this with my stamps, I’d probably scream “nooo!” Poor stamps :wink:

1 Like

Funny thing with this different units at your side of the ocean: a few weeks ago my company has visitors from Israel, so we all the conversation in English and for a long time I calculated every lengh into foot until the idea came to my mind “hey, they’re talking English, but they weren’t from the US or UK” :slight_smile:

But for the date: if the card goes to a country in Europe, I use “our” style of ddmmyy; to other destinations I write the month first.

2 Likes

I’m quite surprised to read that the date is so important for many people here. Usually I don’t include it in my cards in postcrossing (unless a profile demands it), because a) German Post usually postmarks most of the cards and b) I always write the card the day I request the adress, so the date is shown at the postcrossing site. And as I write the ID twice, I’m not sure that adding a date would help - if both ID-numbers are unreadable, the date likely is unreadable too. I do write it on my letters (outside of postcrossing), because most people won’t keep the envelope.
However, I mostly add the weather and temperature - I’ve just started doing so and got a few nice messages about it, so I thought I’ll keep it as a habit. For countries using Fahrenheit I convert the temperature from Celsius, which most people use here.

1 Like

Mini hack: You can actually Google, for example, “82f to c” and it works. Better and faster than spelling the words out.

3 Likes

And then there is Canada :canada: … We use both systems. For example we cook our pizza at 350f, but we’re having a day with a high of 25c. Our bodies are measured in feet, but we drive in KM. - it is a mess up here with measurements and dates. Haha

So, when sending to Canada use whatever units you’re comfortable in, we tend to know both. :smiley:

6 Likes

And I think a lot of us in the UK can think in both, to a certain extent too. I can roughly calculate centimetres, metres, kilometres etc. I’ll have a general idea what you’re talking about.

4 Likes

Yes!!! On cards within the US I just have been been putting F, but international cards I have to check what Celsius.

I always put the date, but not always the weather unless asked for it.

1 Like

I’d say the date “puts the card in context”…
The moment we receive the card, of course we know more or less when it was written (though I have received cards that travelled way over one year!), and we can check the “sent” date on PC (unless it’s a swap or tag or a lottery card). But when you reread a card or letter at a later time, it’s nice to know from what sort of “era” it is… That’s of course more important with correspondence from friends than with postcrossing. But then, some postcrossers turn into friends :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I always include the date with the month written and a little weather picture with the temperature in °c and in °f if sending to the USA. This only takes up a tiny amount of space so I’m not sure how that is a very good excuse to not include it. Personal preference sure, but no room? Write smaller :wink:
I usually also include these as part of the ‘decoration’ of the card, as a border or in a little box with the ID, as I always decorate the written side even if just different colour pens and different fonts. (Always waterproof ink too)
I then usually begin with a G’day from Perth and if I’m sending it from elsewhere I’ll mention where I live.
I’m an historian by profession (cultural heritage actually), so the recording of information is important to me. Also, like has been mentioned, postcards often aren’t postmarked at all or the postmark is incomplete, smudged or too faint to read so it can’t be assumed that this has the information.
It’s a personal preference to include this information but I like to receive it so I include it myself. I don’t ask for it in my profile though as they aren’t important to everybody.

4 Likes

I always write down’t the date. I like when a card shows the date so I do that as well.
About the weather: I have ID stickers of which some have a line where I just need to underline the current weather situation and where I can fill in the degree line. I fill that one out but if it’s not on the sticker I do not write down the weather unleass I am being asked for. I never understood why this was important. Also I always write don’t °C so when sending to the US I can not be sure if the receipiant knows °C and I must admit I really do not want to research the maching °F everytime.

2 Likes

In America (at least where I live) we were never actually taught how to write a letter, much less a postcard. I tend to write the weather/temperature only if I have room to do so. If there are other things that I’m more eager to share, I share those things first since postcards don’t have as much space. NGL I tend to forget about the date because I’m just really bad with dates and knowing them lol.

1 Like

This is so true!!

And: Depending on your personal settings on your computer (weather gadget e.g.) you can switch really fast between Celsius and Fahrenheit.

1 Like

@Ludek
I was also taught to write the date on my papers (mostly school stuff). I did this also for tab and when I played Categories (in germany it’s called “Stadt (Town), Land (Country), Fluss (River)”. Right, I wrote the date on tab and categories papers. >o<
From elementary school to vocational business school (I was 18 back then) I also wrote on every single paper my first and last name. Don’t ask why, I just did it.

For postcards I always write the location (in 99,9% of the causes my hometown because I write all postcards from home) and the current date. My current date is also always the date when I throw the postcard into the letter box.
But I never wrote the weather nor the temperature info on a postcard. Except for it’s a request in the profile. Than I do it. But otherwise not.
If I than had to write weather and temperature, I always check the internet. I don’t have a thermostat so I never knows the temperature.

1 Like