Date and Temperature - Imperial or Metric?

I see it as a tiny reminder of ‘your standard way is not everyone’s standard way’ (or to word it more petty ‘you confuse me, so I confuse you’), so I use the way of date (dd.mm.yy(yy)) and temperature (C) that is common here. It’s also the numbers one would experience here as a visitor (on screens and TV and newspapers and so on).

I don’t expect senders to change their local formats, but I also would not ‘translate’ given temperature, so that information is kind of lost on me.

2 Likes

I write date in my local format (so today is 12.04.23 on my cards, a little confusion is good for you :smile:) and temps in C if I remember (usually don’t write the temperature, but if I do the recipients can convert to F themselves if they want to).

2 Likes

Can you please post a link here?

I usually ask to Alexa which is temperature here in Celsius and in Farenheit and I put both of them if I am sending to USA.

But for example the date I use Spanish way with the name of the month in Spanish, both languages are similar names in months and I think it’s not so hard to know it.
A little bite of Spanish :wink:

2 Likes

I’ll be honest, I am totally new at this, just this week received my two first postcards (mailed out 7 from the system and a few requests from the forums). Never even thought to date them – as far as temperatures - I’ve mentioned it being HOT - but never put a temp, Maybe I should start?

2 Likes

For non-domestic cards, I write out dates like “April 12, 2023” to avoid confusion. For temperature, I always put both Fahrenheit and Celsius. For U.S. cards, I just put Fahrenheit and usually write dates our way numerically (I sometimes write the full thing out of reflex).

I really appreciate it when a card from abroad includes Fahrenheit, to be honest. It’s an extra thoughtful touch. I’ve learned an easy working conversion to do in my head, but it’s nice that I don’t have to.

I’ve received some cards with distance travelled written in kilometers. It doesn’t really mean anything to me, to be honest, just like “Oh, that’s nice, a big number.” I don’t write distance myself. It’d take up too much space putting miles and kilometers anyway, because I wouldn’t want to leave miles out.

2 Likes

@mobi I do it the exact same way

1 Like

I use the Celsius scale for temperature, since most other countries seem to use it, and it is very easy using the weather app on my phone. 90% of my cards go to Germany these days anyway, and I know it is used there.
For the date, I prefer this format: 12 April 2023. Seems more clear to me, and I learned to write it that way while living with a British family was I was young, I actually prefer it this way. So I write it this way for all my correspondence to anyone, including outside of PC.

3 Likes

I write out the month to avoid confusion, like lots of people here have said! So, 13 April 2023. I always put the temperature in Celsius but if I am writing a card to the US, I add a little C next to the temperature.

2 Likes

I use ID-Stickers - some of them have the weather on them some do not. The ones that give the option to write the temperature already have the °C printed on them so I just give the Celsius temperature. I do not write the weather if this is not meant to be written on the sticker.

The date I always write Day, Month, year but the month written as a word so today I would write 13 April, 2023 in English or 13. April 2023 in German. Even if I write the card in another language than English or German I use either of the formats. I also write the date if I do not use an ID Sticker

2 Likes

I changed my phone to display the temperature in C°
Since I’ve been writing it in my cards that way.

And I write out the month name to be clear.

2 Likes

Welcome to postcrossing.

Like with many things, it’s a mix of own style, common (expected) behaviour and fullfilling wishes if one self wishes to do so :wink:

So if you personally don’t care about temperature, don’t mention it. If you want to answer/follow such specific wishes, just do it. Or you decide/vary from card to card.

As for the date, I’d vote for writing it. It was and still is a very common habit, in many contextes even an obligation (tax office, working contract, bills, …).
Also here in postcrossing, I think more users like to see the date than are bothered by those few numbers/letters. Personally, I am always surprised if there is no date, but that also happens (22 of 133 received cards in 2023)

But again - if you don’t care or are bothered by it, just leave it and do it your own style

2 Likes

Thanks for the info. I’ll definitely start at least adding the date. :slight_smile:

For the date, I usually write it Day-Month-Year for everywhere but the US. When sending there, when I remember I write it in letters to avoid any confusion both to me and the receiver (i.e. 13th April 2023)

I always write the temperature in Celsius instead

1 Like

I do this too: use “American” format, but write out the name of the month. I put temperature in Fahrenheit as well (e.g.: 78° F.). I’ve noticed many profiles ask for notes on my local culture, and the differences in date and temperature format are part of my country’s culture, so I share that. We can celebrate small differences and still bond over our love of postcards!

3 Likes

That’s a very good question. Usually I write the date as in France (Day, month, year) and the temperature in °C. But it would be better, it is true, to write according to the recipient. Now I would write the full date : 13 April 2023 (with the month in the recipient’s language). And I would try to think about writing the temperature in fahrenheit and Celsius for the USA.

1 Like

FIRST: Welcome to Postcrossing!!! We’re generally a very friendly bunch who love all aspects of sending and receiving postcards!

I brought up this topic/poll just because I was curious about what other people did and why. And after reading the comments, I’m beginning to re-think how I want to pass on this info (time, climate). I’ve been with Postcrossing for a while and have changed a lot of what I first did as I received cards and thought, “That would look good. I should do that!”

So have fun with starting in Postcrossing and deciding different things that you want to do to make it yours.

:turtle:

2 Likes

I always write it American style even if it might be a bit confusing, like 4/3/23, because I figure it’s just part of the cultural exchange. And I also like to receive postcards with whatever format is used by the sender, whether that’s 12/25/23, 25/12/23, 2023 12/25, etc. But if someone has requested recipes, I always convert the units into metric for convenience.

3 Likes

As a Californian I always write metric and DD/MM/YYYY.

Everyone just knows what’s up

2 Likes

I have a rubber stamp that puts the date like 14 Apr 2023. And I don’t usually write the temperature, but when the recipient asks for it, I do it in Celsius. :slight_smile:

2 Likes