Much more sent cards than received

While I was looking at an experienced member’s profile I noticed they had Sent: 1335 many more letters than they Received: 1295; I calculated a difference of 40 postcards. How is this possible, shouldn’t the count be equal or isn’t the # you receive conditional on how many you send?

2 Likes

I also have more sent than recieved cards - 2272 sent, 2233 recieved (a difference of 39 cards). I nearly always use free slots at once to send new cards, and German post is quite quick - perhaps that’s why? The difference seemed normal to me. :wink:

4 Likes

@Inkspell
Normally, the cards you write must first reach the recipient before you can receive cards.
Logically, therefore, the number of sent cards is higher than the number of received cards.
In addition, you can also set yourself to inactive - that means, you continue to write cards, but you do not receive any cards.
When I was inactive, for example, I sent about 150 cards more than I received.

Because it’s not a bug, I move this Topic to the General Topics.

And can you please edit your first post and delete the name of the member. Thanks.

4 Likes

Okay this makes sense, Aurelia you are even more experienced :joy: @Bille I apologize for the inconveniance.

2 Likes

Thank you for editing the post.
I flagged the topic for the admins to remove the name of the member from the editing history.

2 Likes

I am confused because, I have edited my post but it is now hidden nonetheless. Should I edit it again, how can I resolve the issue I have caused all of a sudden :disappointed_relieved:.

1 Like

Maybe you can refresh the page? It could have been me (sometimes I have slippery fingers and press more than one button at a time…) but at the moment I see your post as normal. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Alright I have and it appears to have stabilized, I’m relieved :slightly_smiling_face:. Note to self. Writing about another user is always tricky, even if it is not meant negatively, sparingly use or use with caution the @.

3 Likes

I was recently on inactive status, because I moved to a new address. During that time, I could still send postcards, but my name was not selected by other Postcrossing members. As a result, I sent more postcards and received fewer ones during this period. Perhaps that experienced Postcrosser was on inactive status or on travel mode in the past, and, as a result, received fewer postcards than normal.

2 Likes

As a rule of thumb, I believe the difference is usually about as big as the number of traveling cards for each user. (That is of course ignoring the inactivity status.) It’s true for me in any case, but of course due to the different speed of individual postcards, it varies.

I once had over 300 more cards sent than received after having my account set to inactive for a while, during which time I kept sending (a lot). Once I reactivated my account, the cards I was due arrived quite quickly and the numbers balanced out to my normal difference.

1 Like

It also seems to me that this happens mostly to members who have thousands of sent, and from the fastest countries: they send a lot and their cards travel fast, so there are probably lots of slow cards on the way to them at any given time.

I send “only” 2-3 a week and they usually take at least 10 days, so that’s not happening to me. But if you send, I don’t know, 20 a week and half of them are received in 5 days, there you’re already 10 over.

4 Likes

Yes, that’s probably it! Member with 3,619 sent and 3,547 received here. I send within Germany as well, and cards almost never travel longer than a few days within my country. I sent 37 and received 23 in the last week. :smiley:

3 Likes

Others like myself can have the maximum number of cards of 100 traveling at one time so you can imagine all the scenarios possible from lost cards sending and receiving time in transit etc…think of it as a wave…as long as you ride atop the wave another can’t over take you in the same way if you were to stop sending cards eventually your sent/receive number will equal out…

3 Likes

2 months ago I got address to this girl, who sent 13 postcards, but she hasn’t received a single one.
Did all the postcards that were on their way to her got lost? How can someone send 13 postcards but not receive a single one?
My postcard to her has been traveling for around 60 days now, I’m getting worried she’s never gonna get it.
Has anyone ever seen a profile like that? :face_with_monocle:

5 Likes

Maybe she was inactive or in travel mode when she started.

9 Likes

Yes, that’s the logical explanation. There are one or two people on the forum who have done the same thing (joined, gone immediately inactive for various reasons, sent postcards but never received them). If this is the case with your recipient, 60 days or so ago, they became active for the first time.

8 Likes

I guess that makes sense, hopefully she gets my card soon, if she doesn’t that means it’s her post office’s fault.

3 Likes

I have 7 sent, 0 received. And 7 travelling. I’m new (this time around anyway…). I keep checking the post box :rofl:

11 Likes

I can understand. I have 7 sent, received only 1.

4 Likes

Or your post office’s fault :slight_smile:
Or something else.

Hopefully it arrives and gets registered :+1:
Which country is it to?

2 Likes