Cost of stamps…how is this affecting you?

Oh Joy! At least they have extended the deadline for using the non-barcoded stamps. I have a load of stamps I have to use. Wouldn’t it be great if postcards were cheaper to send like it used to be!

3 Likes

Here tariffs are increased every six months (international in January, domestic in summer). Sending a postcard or a letter abroad now costs 62 rubles (approximately 1 US dollar). It’s comparable to some prices in other countries, but don’t forget about the low income level of the population in Russia…

7 Likes

Here in the UK it is £1.85 (approx $2.25). I hope the increases don’t put Postcrossers off joining in the fun.

4 Likes

In Italy with the new (not-so-new but new for someone like me that’s starting to send out postcards now after years not doing it) stamps divided into areas it is 1.15€ for Europe and some other countries like Russia, 2.40€ for America and Asia, 3.10€ for Oceania :smiling_face_with_tear: I don’t know why it’s so expensive, and it’s not even the priority option, that costs way more. If Italian people have other way of mailing postcards that isn’t Poste Italiane suggestions are welcome :sweat_smile: I’m a newbie!

4 Likes

I wish the same, let’s hope Postage change don’t increase in india next year:)

2 Likes

In Spain for postcards.

Zone 1: 1,65€. (Europe + Groenland except Albania, Armenia, Bosnia, Cyprus, Georgia, Malta, Moldova)
Zone 2: 1,75€. (Rest of countries except zone3)
Zone 3: 2,10€. (Rusia, Australia, Canada, USA, Japan, New Zealand).

Very complicated and expensive!

4 Likes

As we all love sending cards I suppose we all will be more budget conscious. I know that is what I will be doing anyway . I sent out far more cards than received …

1 Like

Hope so too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m curious about this! Are they saying that you won’t be able to use older stamps anymore, and you have to use stamps with codes on them? That would be a real pity!

1 Like

The increase for the US is not much but I don’t know how will this constant rise in postage affect postcrosser in PR, considering we are the poorest US territory and 43.5% of the population is under the povery line. :face_exhaling:

3 Likes

Yes, all new stamps have a barcode/QR code on them (and they take up a LOT of extra space and they are UGLY!) I think it is because when the Royal Mail announce an increase, people bulk buy to save money. Thankfully, the extended deadline will allow most to use them up. I buy from Philatilink and get really nice stamps at a reduced price.

3 Likes

:pleading_face: That’s such a shame. Sending mail is a real link to the bigger world that many of us will never be able to experience due to cost.

2 Likes

Hi, I bought yesterday in Milano a few “non-value” stamps for Europe (Zone B) for €1.25 each.

We got news just couple of days ago that the postage is going to be raised to 15 SEK for domestic and 30 SEK for international. It was expected to have some changes, as they raise the postage little bit every January, but 4 SEK raise for the international postage is quite a shock nevertheless!

Sad to say but I don’t see myself getting back to Postcrossing anytime soon with these prices. I love the randomness and meeting new, different person every time when drawing an address, but now that the costs of sending a card will be around 50 SEK it will actually start to feel bad to get a profile I can’t send a good card to. I haven’t send any mail for several months and I am not expecting to have any time for that for months to come, but I am planning to buy some stamps before the postage raise anyway. Going to probably move on more forum based exchanges so I have possibility to be more selective and send cards that match the profile.

3 Likes

WOW!!! That’s £2.36 ($2.90 US)!!! As I am new to Postcrossing, I can only send few cards at a time so, for me, that’s affordable. I’m always stunned at how some members send a dozen or more in one day! YIKES!!!

1 Like

In Australia postage for letters has just gone up, BUT POSTCARDS ARE NOW CHEAPER TO SEND!! Rejoice! I don’t know how to edit the postage cost section to show this and I hope other Aussies become aware of the changes. As of Jan 1 2023 it is:
To New Zealand $2.60
Asia/Pacific $2.90
US/Canada, UK/Europe and Rest of World ALL only $3!!! I’m so excited about this even though I still have many stamps with higher values I can’t use :rofl:

4 Likes

I have just seen that the postcard/letter rate in UK for international destinations will be £2.20 from 3 April 2023. One rate for everything up to 100g. (Domestic rates: 1st £1.10 and 2nd £0.75)

2 Likes

Good Lord!!! Soon be cheaper to book a private jet and fly to the destination! :weary:

2 Likes

The price of stamps in :uk: is high but we still have a very good and reliable service: next day delivery for the majority of first class items is standard and second class takes two or three day. Many other nations have poor postal systems that still aren’t cheap. I buy E stamps from dealers and save about 25p per stamp. I only send free or upcycled cards now so as to save money.

2 Likes

Yes, I agree. The Royal Mail is pretty good. I get my stamps from Philatelink. Just got another batch of stamps today :heart_eyes:

2 Likes