Compendium about postcard wishes

For Postcards are too small for this!

2 Likes

You forgot to mention Jetoy cats.

And don’t forget the one in the hat.

2 Likes

… and in boots.

1 Like

I have recently amended my wishes to include “potatoes”, now Imma sit back and wait patiently for the spud postcards to roll in…

2 Likes

You’ll probably need to be very, very patient.

Guaranteed a postal machine with mash them … :hammer:

1 Like

I have mixed feelings about this …

Mixed Feelings

Now, look what you’ve done!
You’ve made me create my very first gif! :scream:

1 Like

So I don’t mind if people express what their “favorite things” are for postcards. I always read their “about” section to see if I have something that matches them well. I have noticed that some folks are really specific about what they like, and I was online looking for some new postcards today - and I wondered this…
What are the “most asked for” themes and topics, in your experience? I am trying to buy some bulk sets of postcards, so I’m thinking it would be smart to try to get some of the more popular “requests”. So far I’m looking at Black & Whites, Animal Themes, Art.
What do you think would be a popular set to have on hand??

5 Likes

Lots of people like trains, they’re good to have ‘in stock’. Cars and airplanes too.

Historical events/figures.

Art that represents your area.

Space themes.

1 Like

I’ve run across a few who like lighthouses, faeries, cats (not just blue ones)…

2 Likes

Don’t forget typical touristy single views. I just scrounged around for some from my local area as I’ve been drawing a few individuals over the last month who express an interest in learning more about where a sender lives.

2 Likes

Don’t forget that you can still send what you want, those « wishes » are not obligations. :wink:

12 Likes

This :100:

I think shopping (or, overshopping, the way I do it) for postcards is a really fun thing to do. I buy cards that look interesting to me. When I used to travel more, in the before-times, it was the highlight of souvenir shopping.

I try very hard to match the cards I send to the recipient’s likes or wish list, but sometimes it’s not possible. Most times, the recipient still really enjoys the card or what I’ve written (or at least they pretend to with their lovely thank-you messages).

I receive lots of random cards, and I love every single one. I’ve even discovered new artists this way. Personally, it’s the thought of the person who sent it that matters more for me. We’re all here to have fun and share little bits of happiness :smiley:

7 Likes

I always make sure to have some of the following on stock:

• classic tourist cards (mostly single view, preferably with a place name)
  • illustrated tourist cards
  • vintage tourist cards (real old or reprint)
  • cards showing people (I prefer everyday situations, many prefer traditional costumes or famous people)
  • map cards
  • castles
  • lighthouses
  • means of transport
  • animals
  • landscapes
  • cartoons
  • food
  • art cards
7 Likes

I would also throw flowers in, many people like them. They can also be used to cover the wish for nature.

3 Likes

If I had to make a “top 10” list of themes postcrossers like, I would probably say:

1. Classic tourist cards
  2. Food from your country
  3. Illustartions
  4. Art cards
  5. Single view cards
  6. Cats
  7. Vintage (black and white) cards
  8. Maps
  9. Seasonal cards
  10. Women
5 Likes

Most things covered but I would add
UNESCO Sites
National parks
Architecture-castles bridges churches etc
Variety is the main thing. There are some lovely box sets out there but I’ve found they aren’t the most requested… early days maybe.

2 Likes

Add to your list (a few of each theme) - odd shaped cards, ugly/strange, covid related, recipes.

5 Likes

I really love receiving any card even of its the same as one I’ve already gotten as the message/drawings on the back make it special.

I’ve found that I’ve matched to a few people who like Harry Potter which is great as I have Harry Potter cards.

I’ve also matched to a few people who like cats and dogs. Not so great as I don’t have many of those postcards.

And then transport has been requested quite a few times too.

1 Like