Collecting vintage postcards

One time I found a cool older Pinocchio postcard in a thrift store. I don’t remember exactly when it had been sent, maybe the 70’s. I decided to resend it, in an envelope with an explanation to the same address. I received a postcard back thanking me, she went on to tell me she is a theater director and had directed a play of Pinocchio. I attempted to do the same thing with a postcard addressed to Japan but I received that one back as unable to deliver to that address.

1 Like

I’ve collected postcards since I was 11 years old, including cards of all ages of places I’ve lived (Cleveland, Euclid, Ashland and Ashtabula, Ohio, USA + Kaiserslautern and Weingarten, Germany + Tokyo, Japan) and several topics. I use the ones of my current city to decorate my office and create a bond between me and the people I work with. I’m not from this area.

2 Likes

I’ve recently started collecting vintage postcards, some of my oldest (and my most favorite) so far in my collection being Christmas and New Years cards from the 1910s. I’ve gotten them from various places including online and at markets, and if they’re used I enjoy the stamps they used and trying to decipher what’s written on them. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I want to start doing this. Start hitting the antique stores.

I collect cards of New England railroading, automobiles, local views, etc etc… My favorites are RPPC = Real Photo Post Card. The image quality can be AMAZING! Those also cost a bit if the view is rare.

1 Like

I started collecting “vintage postcards” after I started post-crossing and it caught on.
Few of the reasons: They are beautiful and they are cheap to get.

More often than not, I am not collecting vintage postards but “back-sides of vintage postacards”.
I find that the hand-writing and the cancelation of the era havwe a uniqueness that cannot be reapeated nowadays.

For example this card sent from Mainz to Zurich, in 1922:

2 Likes