Cinderella Stamps, Faux Stamps and Artistamps

I’d like to introduce 2 types of Japanese cinderellas.

I also collect cinderellas from all over the world.
from Denmark

from USA

Sometimes send handmade cards with these cinderellas.

24 Likes

These are amazing :star_struck:

1 Like

Re cinderellas: There are two artists in Chicago who have been making satirical cinderellas, and actually using them to mail letters, for years. Occasionally they’ve had to play cat and mouse games with postal inspectors, but sometimes the inspectors actually seem somewhat amused by the two artists’ creations, even though those creations represent a (very small) loss of revenue for the postal service. At any rate, attached are two articles about each of the artists, along with photos of some of their work.

https://michaelthompsonart.com/section/42109-Postage-Stamps.html

4 Likes

And here is another small set of space “stamps”. These are really amateur stuff. But I must admit that that “Rwanda” Is at least illustrated :point_up:

1 Like

Following the Mail Art movement, many artists make their own stamps. These are often called artist stamps or Artistamps. That’s how I ended up with the Cinderellas at one point.

One of the first Cinderellas to come to my attention were the stamps from Lundy Island in the UK. When the British Post Office left the island in 1927, the citizens decided to produce their own stamps on the island.

Another funny British related Cinderella comes from the unrecognized micronation Sealand which is located on an old offshore platform near Suffolk.

A lot of great protest Cinderella stamps were created by The Perforated Post in Fleetwood, USA. Here is one of them.

When we finally found an old perforating machine my partner and me started making our own stamps as well.

Here are two stamps for the internal mail at the 4 days Postcrossing meetup in Bielefeld, Germany. One of them was also used as kind of a Cinderella maximum card.

21 Likes

Cindarella maximum card sounds really interesting :+1::slightly_smiling_face:

I have my own cindarella “Fakexicard” now I just need to find some Krteček stamp to cancel it :grin:

6 Likes

I assume that anybody who is already familiar with cinderellas is also already familiar with the work of the late, great, Donald Evans.

9 Likes

Hello I sent message. :leaves:

Ah, great. A stamp of the rare species “Nordbaer”. :grin::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

5 Likes

Hello, I read your Post with interest.

The Cinderella Polar Bear (Bielefeld) uses the outline design of the original Greenland Parcel Post ( Pakke-Porto ) stamps of 1905 to 1937. I have never seen that design used on a Cinderella before you posted. Did you print these? If so, any reason why you chose that stamp? The original stamps have a long and fascinating history and are valuable, very valuable in some cases. I have some originals that I cant Scan but also have Facsimile sheets specially issued with the variations, they were issued by Greenlandic Post in 1985 and are also now difficult to find. Here are two of my examples of the facsimile edition. It’s interesting to see how the Bielefeld meetup ( Hauspost) have adapted the original stamp design.
You can read about the originals here, if you received parcels from family in Greenland in 1915 and kept the stamps and wrapping in the loft i’d start looking now !!

Best Regards, D :honeybee:

2 Likes

Hi @Ceres1849.

Thank you very much for your exciting explanations. That is very interesting. To be honest, I didn’t think too much about the original stamp from Greenland. I chose the motif because the Bielefeld meeting, which has been around for a few years now, is closely linked to the organiser: Nordbär (you could translate it as “North bear”). So the motif fits very well. I also like the design of the Greenland stamp very much.

Hi Claas, thanks for the information, I think you designed a great stamp! I love to see ingenuity in design and your faux stamp fits really well to the subject.
Best Wishes, Derek

1 Like

After Speicher3 posted the pictures of the very cool Lundy Island stamps (of which, until that point, I did not know the history) I became more interested in Cinderellas and I subsequently found the pictured Herm Island stamp from a stamp dealer. In the dealer’s explanation, “pigeon post” stamps were “used to send urgent messages via pigeon to Guernsey.”

6 Likes

Cute :grin: I will also send more cindarellas soon. These ones that you are mostly talking about are interesting with some back story, but the ones that I have in my collection are mostly (only) for commercial purposes. That is a little bit less interesting :man_shrugging:

Going down the internet rabbit hole…

2 Likes

I recently saw this envelope for sale on the internet. Two Lundy Island Cinderellas were affixed to the back of the envelope, as was (and probably still is is), standard procedure, and the “official” metered postage was affixed to the front. Adding another layer of interest to the envelope is the rubber stamp indicating that the letter was “DELAYED BY STORM” before it left Lundy.

2 Likes

Oh! I have some postcards with this artist’s stamps on them. They’re really fun if you look at the details.

1 Like

Yes, I have one or two postcards picturing his work, too. There’s a very nice book called “The World of Donald Evans” which includes most (I think) of Mr. Evans’ work.

I have a bunch of those USPS Zip stickers but never found a use for them

I remember those US Christmas seals from my childhood in the 1960s!

1 Like