[Chat] Pull up a stump and set a spell, pop by for a cuppa and natter

Very sad news indeed I met her at a some of the London meetups. She was active up to quite recently both in this community and in some of the wider RRs and games. R.I.P. Anu

Very sad news, and so young too. Iā€™ve received some lovely cards and swaps from her in the past.

I wonder if this was the link - https://www.theangelcardproject.com/

Good morning, folks! :slight_smile: I have a resolution to get more active on the forums (so overwhelming at times to jump into new groups of people!) so, hello!

I notice discussion of postiesā€¦ alas, the Royal Mail has been very, very sporadic around here of late. The problems started in June-July when there was an outbreak in the sorting office, but things never really returned to normal. Itā€™s been days since weā€™ve had post ā€“ and since me and my mother write to each other every few days now we canā€™t see each other, I know thereā€™s something coming for me! (Not to mention some postcards, I think!)

1 Like

Good morning, all :kissing_heart:! With postage rates going up again in January, I thought it would be nice (and more economical) to send to and receive more cards from within the UK.

Is there interest in the British Isles community for an offer tag and/or a favourite tag?

• ā€˜offer tagā€™ (the person tagging you can choose a card from your offer album and then shows a link to his/her available cards for the next person to tag him/her)
  • ā€˜favourite tagā€™ (the person tagging you sends you a card from your PC favourites or favourites from another site, eg flickr, and then posts a link to his/her favourites to get a card from the next person tagging)

Iā€™d love to hear your view

1 Like

@Bayrisches-Madl Sabine, I love the idea of another British Isles tag, but as I donā€™t use online albums that wouldnā€™t be one I could join. It may be very popular with those who use online offers albums though. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Iā€™d love to join in a UK tag, maybe a combined favourite/wishlist tag? I never seem to have the time to keep my online offer albums up to date anymore!

3 Likes

Shall I just try and start a British Isles tag? I could keep it simple so everyone can take part. Something like:

British Isles tag

• Send a card matching the wishes / PC profile / favourites of the person you are tagging
  • Private message the person you are tagging for their address and send them a card within 7 days
  • Remember to write the name of this tag (ā€˜British Isles tagā€™) and your username on the card

I have never done that before. Is something missing? Please let me know and I am happy to start this new tag. Thank you!

3 Likes

Sounds fine to me, especially keeping it simple. Maybe you could also add, ā€œPlease let the sender know, in a private message, when youā€™ve received their card.ā€

Go for it! :+1:

2 Likes

The British Isles tag is open! As I am the first one to be tagged, I will send a card to one of the first five participants (selected randomly by postbot). Have fun, everyone

1 Like

Well then, looks like weā€™re about to have some long waits.

1 Like

I was just thinking this myself. Iā€™m just going to hold off sending until January now and see what the situation looks like then. I have an imbalance of received cards so incoming isnā€™t likely to be a problem but I might just set to inactive just in case.

1 Like

Been receiving post from the US within 10 days of postmark. Just before the latest lockdown/tiers, post to the US was also about 10 days, one California-based penpal said that a letter from IL (or other northern US state, I canā€™t remember) took more than 3 weeks to arrive.

Just to say Happy Christmas! :christmas_tree:
to those who celebrate,

ā€¦ and very best wishes in 2021 to everyone. :snowflake: :snowflake: :snowflake:

2 Likes

Happy New Year to you all!

3 Likes

Happy New Year everyone! :sparkles:

2 Likes

I now have 12 more received cards than Iā€™ve sent, they keep coming through the door the past couple of days! I think itā€™s because I donā€™t send cards steadily, I send a lot one week, then have a week or more off. But still, that seems to be a lot (not that I can complain really, all post is good post!)

I also have lots of postcards that are travelling from 30-60 days ago, hopefully theyā€™re just delayed somewhere together. Anyone else seen delays?

1 Like

Hi,
I have 13 more received than sent whereas itā€™s normally very well matched. Places Iā€™ve sent to in the past which have taken 4 or 5 days are getting on for 15 days so far. I have 14 out of 15 travelling and nothing is moving!
And yes I also have several that are 30 - 60 days travelling already.
I guess itā€™s probably not that you take a week off now and again, more likely to be COVID related.

I have 7 more cards received than sent. Iā€™ve had a few expired and some taking weeks to get to Russia and South Korea (and Portugal) but bizarrely Iā€™ve also had cards get to Alaska in a week and have received cards from the US and Germany in 6 days (which is about the same time a local letter is taking)!

I just treat every day now as letā€™s see what random surprises will land in the letterbox.

I donā€™t have much to measure it against though as I only started in August and itā€™s been pretty much hit and miss the whole time

Iā€™m also noticing plenty of delays with cards. Hopefully some of them make it before they expire! I think itā€™s probably a mix of COVID, the festive season, and Brexit (?).

At the moment Iā€™m in inactive and in travel mode so not receiving any cards. Right now Iā€™m at 290 sent and 270 received so whenever I switch to my usual home address (Iā€™m spending some of lockdown at my mumā€™s house and have been here for a month) Iā€™ll be due quite a batch of cards!