Change of postcard prices to $3.00 AUD to Europe?

sadly there are only a handful of submission…

2 Likes

After being very doom-and-gloomy above and saying what’s the point, I decided today that it’s at least worth sending some letters, suggesting the introduction of a postcard rate, as others have talked about above.

I’m sending letters to the CEO, the exec who seems most relevant, and the Board of Directors.

Then I wrote a slightly different one to their Stakeholder Council - they’re less directly involved, but part of their role includes feedback to AP.

And since AusPost doesn’t go around announcing contact info for any of these people, my letters are being sent to the address they provide for feedback.

Australia Post
GPO Box 9911
MELBOURNE VIC 3001

The key points I’m highlighting:

• Prices are so expensive that cards have become a luxury.
  • Prices are too complicated, so tourists can’t work out.
  • Also, postcard sellers won’t sell stamps alongside postcards due to the complicated prices.
  • The existence of the pre-paid prices show that AP already accepts that cards should be sent at a lower rate.
  • That the letter rate that currently applies is for up to 250 gm, significantly more than any postcard.

Maybe we can at least get them talking about it.

I might do a different one for the Minister as well - I presume she can’t make any decision on this, but it’s worth bringing it to her attention for any influence she can wield.

5 Likes

As the cost of everything is rising here in Australia I think if the postage continues to increase Postcrossing becomes a luxury that many will be unable to afford. How sad :disappointed: I know I’m thinking of reducing the amount I send because the cost adds up so quickly.
Seems outrageous when the executives at Australia Post are paid so much money.

2 Likes

One would hope at some point the guys getting all the bonuses would realise they’re undercutting their own interests…?

Anyway, I like your dot points @helent. The vendors not selling stamps is a great one, I had almost forgotten that was once a common thing.

I sent a parcel to the USA the other day expecting the fee to be extraordinary, but when it came time to pay, I almost laughed: $88.60 for 3.5kg. At that rate a 5g postcard should travel for less than 13¢.

4 Likes

Big news! Australia Post responded to my letter to the CEO, and advised me that a postcard/greeting card rate is under consideration!

On 31 May 2022 through to 31 July 2022, Australia Post ran a promotion for greeting cards and postcards weighing up to 50 grams, which reduced the cost to a maximum of $3.00 to send postcards internationally. This promotion was incredibly popular with our customers and was extended until 31 October 2022, when our annual seasonal greeting card rate commenced. From 1 November to 31 December each year, Australia Post offers a reduced rate on seasonal greeting cards and postcards of $2.60 for all international locations.

Due to the success of the recent promotion, Australia Post is looking to introduce this product into our standard services as an option for sending postcards and greeting cards in the new year. At this time, there is no official date set on the introduction, however you can check the Australia Post website here for any updates on the release.

Australia Post has a limited range of prepaid postcards available to Post within Australia and anywhere around the world for $2.40. These rates are set in line with the type of product being sent – a small postcard weighing less than 50 grams. With that in mind, Australia Post has moved to introduce similar pricing to items being sent internationally, that are smaller than the size and weight of a regular letter.

That sounds really quite likely!

13 Likes

Thank you @helent
If this materializes, it’s great news

3 Likes

Go girl, great work! :clap:

3 Likes

I’m late to respond, but I just wanted to highlight that covid isn’t gone, we’re just not talking about it. It’s still impacting postal services (and emergency services, and everything else). Many of the countries we can’t currently send to are not accepting international mail, there’s nothing Auspost can do about that. I appreciate it’s frustrating, but it is what it is for now. Borders and communications are opening slowly, it was 78 countries we couldn’t send to not so long ago.

1 Like

I really don’t see it this way.
Covid is around for 3 years now. Every postal service should be well adopted by now.
Covid if anything, should be a reason to provide even better service so that everyone stays connected. Not the opposite.

If the US and the UK have suspended service to 16 and 7 countries respectively, there is absolutely no excuse for oz Post to have suspended service to 66 (sixty six) countries

1 Like

Here in Melbourne, entire emergency service shifts are having to be replaced because they have covid. It’s not gone, and all our services are still under pressure, including Auspost.

Additionally, we are a long way from anywhere. Reduced flight capacity means reduced airmail capacity. Auspost has the decision to make to accept and store mail until more flights open up, or refuse post for those countries.

I’m glad covid isn’t impacting you anymore, you’re very lucky.

2 Likes

I agree that Covid has been a valid reason for problematic service in the first 6 months or the first year of the pandemic.
Still using Covid as a reason 3 years later is just complacency and an excuse for bad public service.

Anyway, that’s just my opinion.
There’s no need to become ironic about it.
Everyone, in their own way, has been affected by covid, either more or less.

1 Like

Much as I’d love to take some credit, I’m sure this must have been in the pipeline for some time, so other people above who have contacted AP in the past got the ball rolling, I’m just the person who wrote at the right time for them to be ready to make a soft announcement.

4 Likes

May I ask if there are any changes on GST next year since they increase the domestic stamp price from $1.1 to $1.2?

GST is 10% regardless of the face value of the stamp. Like your daily coffee, the price might go up, but the GST is always 10%.

1 Like

It’s happened! Get the word out!

3 Likes

This is absolutely terrific :partying_face: thank you for keeping us updated!

2 Likes

I was just coming on here to let people know this too! My postoffice told me yesterday :blush: since i send lots of cards! And I managed to find it on the website last night. Such great news! I sent several postcards with the Christmas rate, so its awesome there is now a reduced rate for postcards.

2 Likes

Thank you all. I am so glad that we can send our cards for $ 3.00 to Europe.

3 Likes

Update for this message:
China Post announced that they had resumed Surface mail to Australia since March 1st

3 Likes

I’m really hoping there will be a nice new $3 stamp announced in the next bulletin! :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes