Card to or from Antarctica?

I’m almost sure that’s not the case, there are several stations on Antarctica that have population all year round.

WIKI - Research stations in Antarctica

3 Likes

Ah! If that is the case — and if you have a bit of time — we encourage you to update Geonames and fix this for everyone using that database. It’s a tiny way in which you can also help improve Postcrossing!

1 Like

Norway (Norwegian Polar Institute) operates the Troll research station, which is manned all year around. 9 months of the year, there’s 6 persons at Troll. During the antarctic summer, there’s more researchers there.

2 Likes

Hi all

Can we send a post card Antarctica. I have read the process. Selected Mc Murdo station. Yet have a how much value postage stamp should we place on the card. Any one provide.

@POSTALSAURUS

On the postcard itself use a USPS Global Forever stamp.

On the envelope, attach stamps from your own country equivalent to the airmail rate to the USA.

2 Likes

Currently you can’t send to Antarctica from India; well at least using the cheapest rate.
Check with your postal service.

2 Likes

Thank you for keeping me informed.

How can you get US international stamps, to use them on the cover sent to the station, if you live outside the US?

Purchase them in USPS website or ebay.
Or you can simply just doing mint stamps swap in this forum.

1 Like

What is your purpose? If you want to send postcards or letters to Mc Murdo station; first check the postal monitor:
https://www.postcrossing.com/postal-monitor
Then check the postal service of your country for rates.

If I wanted to send a card (which I can’t because my country postal service doesn’t accept), I would use a standard stamp for the Rest of the World.

2 Likes

I got mine from eBay :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Pretty sure you can’t buy stamps from USPS unless you live in the US - their online forms only take US addresses.

This was a swap but it was mailed from Paraguay one of my best. I admire it all the time :smiley:The map is Amazing this must be quite an experience to all.

12 Likes

I am actually travelling to Antarctica (and Falkland Islands) on a cruise in November, and I’m curious about this, and using travel mode! I wonder what wifi I need to be on for Postcrossing to accept my travel mode destination as Antarctica :joy: The trip has been postponed twice due to covid, so we’ll see if it will happen this time.

Note: I am not offering to send anyone postcards from there, as I would be absolutely flooded with requests and I’m not even sure it’s possible :sweat_smile:

7 Likes

Wow, good luck, you are very brave! The ocean down there absolutely terrifies me even on video :sweat_smile: I would love to hear about the trip when you are back if you would like to share!
I think you can contact the admins about the Antarctic ID. I have heard people done it when they went on holiday somewhere where they couldn’t get the local wifi.

3 Likes

With Antartica you are likely to get IP addresses from whichever country provides the network access for that area (which itself is probably provided via satellite) which won’t be Antartica itself. Thus, most likely you will hit issues with the travel mode as IP address to determine location is unlikely to work well.

Just get in touch with our team some days in advance so that we can help you, under the condition that you share a photo with us of such a special place — we’d love to see it! :slight_smile:

9 Likes

More 4 places you can select.

1 Like

We already have,

• McMurdo Station
  • The Stars Village
  • O’Higgins

I see you created/edited the other two! :+1:

We will get them in Postcrossing on our next sync with the geonames database which should be in the middle of this year as we have done one not so long ago. We don’t do these very often as they are quite time consuming as at least part of the process needs to be done manually.

I think in these cases the Postcrossing team could also help by adding the place if it isn’t on the database.
There are many research stations around the world, (mostly on Antartica and remote islands) that don’t appear on geonames as a populated place.

Adding places directly in Postcrossing means they would get overridden/deleted on the next sync with do with geonames. It could also cause inconsistencies and duplicate places if we wouldn’t keep a close eye for every place we add locally when we do sync — which, as is, is already a time consuming process.

Hence, it’s best is for the changes/additions to be done in geonames and we get them on the following sync.