Card in envelope request

This is a great explanation.

I also utilize the entire card for writing and decorations when a recipient asks for an envelope. I treat the back of the postcard as if it were a piece of paper to write the letter, using stickers to cover stamp spots.

Unwritten I send with a note with any information the receiver may need to register (in a Round Robin) or let me know they’ve received it from a tag or direct swap. And I also include the date, as most members request it.

1 Like

I always use the postcard the normal way (unlike otherwise agreed), put the address and a stamp (used, low denomination or stamp like sticker). I do it this way, because otherwise it doesn’t feel as a postcard any longer and it’s the only way I enjoy cards in envelope. But preferences are different. I hardly ever send a single card in envelope any longer as it got more expensive with the latest raise.

4 Likes

I put the address and stamp on the envelope, then use the postcard for my message. The message often turns out to be letter length, as I have very small printing.

You know you’re a Post Crosser when you’ve perfected the art of tiny printing. :grinning:

1 Like

If I send a postcard in an envelope, I usually don’t include the address and a stamp on the postcard. I write it, and cover the message and stamp area with my message as well.

But if the receiver prefer so, I’ll write the address and affix a previously used stamp or a stamp of a very low value, and then put it in an envelope.

1 Like

I don’t think I have ever sent out an Official card in an envelope; I always send it by itself. Now…I have seen others make a suggestion that is useful if you wish to send a card in an envelope. You can enclose the Unwritten card in an envelope, but put the Postcard ID on a Post-It-Note and attach it to the card. The receiver gets your card and registers it.

I also have never sent an official card in an envelope because it’s more expensive, and postage is high already.

Hey, as the title suggests. I’m wondering if I start sending my postcards in an envelope. It’ll result in less damage and keep it dry till the reader receives it. Or are people against this?

Thank you

2 Likes

Well, it’s up to you. Postcrossing doesn’t have any rules specifically telling you to use or not use envelopes.

Personally, I’m doubtful of an envelope’s ability to keep a postcard dry. I’ve gotten postcards in envelopes before that were still completely soaked and/or damaged because of the weather. Some people like envelopes because they don’t want nosey people to read the messages–but again, I personally don’t see what the big deal is because you’re writing to a stranger anyway and it’s not like you’re going to reveal some big secret to someone you don’t know.

I would rather people not send me postcards in envelopes because I actually like to see the wear and tear of travel on the postcards. If I wanted a pristine postcard, I’d just buy it myself. However, I don’t specify this because I am more interested in how people reveal themselves by what they send to me rather than my own personal preferences. But I know not everyone has my philosophy. If anything, if you do get a profile from someone who specifically says not to send them a postcard in an envelope, I would suggest not using an envelope for them, out of courtesy.

14 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I’ll keep in mind peoples prefrences and if not specified I’ll use envelopes! Thank you! I’ve seen some people also want a letter with their post card and then the envelope is given.

Thank again

Welcome to the Forum Elgi!

I’d say you’ll clearly see 2 preferences in people’s profiles or here on the Forum - the biggest group that I see wants their postcard with a stamp & all the post office marks on it. You’ll see the phrase: “written & stamped please”, which means they also want you to write them a message on the card too.

And then there are folks who want them in envelopes, often so they can save the stamps. Sometimes to protect them because of long distances like from Canada to Australia, sometimes for privacy. They are generally clear about this on their profile.

3 Likes

Ill be sure to be careful when reading their wishes! Thanks for the enlightenment

3 Likes

When you get my address, please send me written and stamped :smile:
Isn’t it more expensive to use envelope?

1 Like

This depends on country. I don’t know about the postal rates in @Lervfo 's country, but here in the US, it’s the same cost with or without the envelope. So if I get someone’s profile requesting an envelope, I don’t mind doing that.

2 Likes

Ill be sure to remember that! :smiley:

There’s no additional cost to me sending with an envelope

1 Like

Welcome, @Lervfo
I moved this topic to #postcrossing:help category because it is about how to send cards for Postcrossing rather than postcards in general.
Thank you & hope you enjoy the forum :blush:

I have on my profile that I don’t mind, though I do like postcards written and stamped. For sending though I only send written and stamped as it costs 80cents more to send in an envelope.

I prefer the damage. It gives the card a story.

9 Likes

Without envelope is the default and I think most people would prefer it, but if not specified I guess people don’t feel strongly either way. I prefer without but it’s not such a problem to have to put it in my profile, when I receive with envelope I think it’s unnecessary but it’s not like it annoys me or anything.

When I lived somewhere where cost was the same, I would sometimes use an envelope if requested, but where I am now it costs twice as much so I usually don’t do it (it’s not a huge cost, but it’s still twice as much!)

From the FAQs (I kind of knew it was mentioned but had to go and check for sure):

https://www.postcrossing.com/help/should-i-send-my-postcard-in-an-envelope

We can choose if we want to use an envelope or not. But I want to mention that postcards are designed to be sent without an envelope. So I guess some (many?) expect the postcards to be sent without an envelope. They might get disappointed if the postcard is sent in an envelope. But as the FAQ’s says, it’s OK to send the postcards in an envelope as well.

I second that. The envelope is just paper anyway, so it wouldn’t give much protection from humid weather, rain or snow.

When it comes to other damage, an envelope can be helpful. But I haven’t received many damaged postcards. And most of them have had only minor damages. Others might have more problems with postal sorting machines “eating” their postcards, and/or more strongly dislike the travel scars. But it seems like those people often mention in their profile that they prefer envelopes because of the damage.

1 Like