Canada Post issues stamp and first day cover to support Ukraine - for charity

Direct from the Canada Post website, and to be released on July 7:
"This booklet of 10 PermanentTM domestic rate stamps is offered to our customers as a means of supporting humanitarian aid in Ukraine. A donation of $1 from each booklet of 10 stamps will go directly to the Canada-Ukraine Foundation.
The stamp features a sunflower – the national flower of Ukraine. It has become a symbol of peace and unity. The bright yellow flower, which has deep meaning for Ukrainians, can be seen throughout the country, including as adornment in the vinok, the traditional floral headdress. The yellow sunflower is shown against a blue-sky background, reflecting the country’s flag colours of yellow and blue.

This semi-postal fundraising issue offers Canadians an opportunity to support Ukrainians affected by the current humanitarian crisis.

Canada and Ukraine share a historic bond. The first wave of Ukrainian immigrants began to arrive in the 1890s, and Canada was the first Western country to recognize Ukraine’s independence in 1991. Today, nearly four per cent of Canadians can trace their roots to Ukraine."

The announcement was made May 19, 2022 - Vyshyvanka Day in Ukraine.
:sunflower: :sunflower: :sunflower:

40 Likes

I saw these earlier today, I’m glad Canada Post is doing something! And they’re such lovely stamps, I can’t wait to get a few booklets :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::sunflower::sunflower:

4 Likes

Welcome back @halflingstory ! Hope the end of the semester went well for you! :sunflower:

2 Likes

Thank you!! It went pretty well, but I’m definitely glad to be done. Especially with all the lovely new stamps coming out this summer, I’m excited to have more time for Postcrossing :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I am SO PROUD of Canada Post!!!

2 Likes

@Nique … Wish they also issued US and international denominations. But, of course, these stamps come from the occasional community charity series, so those are, I think, always domestic rates.

2 Likes

Oh yes wouldn’t that be so nice?!?!

1 Like

:heart_eyes: This is sooo beautiful! :sunflower: :ukraine: :dove:

I only hope we could get Ukraine support stamp here in Finland too :dove: :sunflower:

3 Likes

beautiful :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

I’m definitely putting in an order for a bunch of these. Can’t wait to start using them for PostCrossing later this summer when they come out.

4 Likes

I feel ya! I Wish Deutsche Post would relase one …

It’s a lovely stamp. :heartpulse:

2 Likes

You could just use one or two stamps and add extra postage.

Can someone explain the +10. I know that they cost more because a donation is being made with the purchase. However, if you use a single stamp, is it worth 92 cents or $1.02?

I guess it’s worth $0.92 cuz the extra 10 cents don’t go to Canada Post but Canada-Ukraine Foundation.

2 Likes

I would think so too. However, why would the +10 be written right on the stamp, which is currency if that wasn’t part of the face value. In 50 years, how will anyone know that it’s an imaginary 10 cents?

Because that is the way show peoples that is a Charity stamp.That is the routine.See here. @littlesthobo
图片

4 Likes

As @aegisW already answered, it is common way to publish a charity stamp.
For example this is the first ever Finnish charity stamp - issued on May 1922.
xFIN_Sc_B001.jpg.pagespeed.ic.2LDDLYLn07
This is a bit different to the Canadian one as we can see M and P which mean currencies of that time (markka and penni). But these ones from 1938 doesn’t show them as the Canadian one doesn’t either. :blush:

1 Like

The stamps you show is that the topic of Winter War or Continuation War @nnniiina

1 Like

They are from 1938, before the wars. They seem to be released for world championships in skiing. @aegisW

1 Like

I have no doubt you are correct. I just find it a confusing way to indicate that proceeds went to charity as they have indeed included it in the face value when that isn’t the actual face value.

1 Like