Can you give me some suggestions on my self designed postcards?

I’m thinking about creating my own series of postcards, for places I live / lived in and have been to.

This is the first one. Can you guys give me some suggestions? Thank you very much! :blush:

42 Likes

That’s beautiful! I am wondering about the background though. Will it be beige or white? It looks quite beige on my screen but I can’t decide if it’s a design decision or if it’s my screen. :slight_smile:

No notes in my opinion, it looks wonderful.

1 Like

Yes it’s beige! I think it’s kind of boring using white background so I’m using beige for this. Hope you like it :relaxed:

7 Likes

Love it! Keep up with the creativity :heart:
But I’m a bit confused with : Delicious Chinese food. It’s a boba :thinking: . Does boba count as food?

Or maybe it’s just me who thinks too literally :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

woow,I love it!

1 Like

That’s boba! I love it! When you see a Chinese restaurant you can always find a boba shop around it, or that restaurant sells it haha~

1 Like

Looks great :slight_smile:

I would maybe check the texts under the pictures. It feels like it is “jumping out” bit too much and taking attention from the drawings itself. Could it work with grey or brown font or with something more handwritten like style?

I have some difficulties to identify the object on “delicious Chinese food”. My first thought was that it is a mortar and pestle, but I have to admit I don’t know much outside of the things they sell in Europe (what I have heard is not even near authentic) Loving your way to draw trees and mountains! Also, what a wonderful way to memorize the places you have lived!

2 Likes

I like the idea very much! As for notes, maybe, make the word ‘Vancouver’ more colorful. I’m not sure though.

Just to be finicky, I would try switching places between the umbrella and the trees. Red colour attracts lots of attention and all that red column on the left side unevens the whole image… It’s heavier on the left side, if you know what I mean. I think placing one of the red spots on the right side would provide the image with a better balance.
Another balancing option, given that you’ve got one “round” and one “tall” shape of each colour, would be placing both red ones on the bottom line. That is, switching places between lighthouse and trees. Actually, I think that would be nicer, however, it is hard to tell without seeing it.

9 Likes

Re: “Snow-capped Mountain” … what about something like “Snow-capped Rockies” or “Rocky Mountain highs”? I’m thinking it would be nice to name the range.

5 Likes

I agree with @PatriciaOH about the positioning. For me, I see “red, left. green, right”, but that’s pretty minor. I think your concept is great. Showing the world what your city is to you personally is genius. It has so much more soul than a typical tourist view.

2 Likes

I would be confused, however, to receive a card from Vancouver that associates with delicious Chinese food. :wink:

6 Likes

I personally think Chinese food is significant enough to add to a card about Vancouver. Vancouver is known around the world for having the largest Chinatown in Canada (it’s probably one of the largest in the world) and the city has always had ties to the Chinese diaspora since the 1800s. Even now, the Chinese make up a large portion of the city–over a quarter of the population!

7 Likes

:rofl: yes “boba” DRINK ! Hum “cultural integration” :wink: Here in Braunschweig (Germany) we get also boba (awful sweet to mee :crazy_face::wink::rofl:) at the tea-shop. But… remind croissants are NOT a French invention despite everybody thinks oh-so-French :smiley:

1 Like

You are doing great! Continue your creativity!

1 Like

Don’t know if it would work when Vancouver stand alone in her line, filling all the space of that line, and the ‘is’ follows somewhere right also in a line of its own.

to me …
Vancouver
…is

It could also work with two lines only, something like
For me, this is …
Vancouver

As mentioned by others, the change of one red-green combo could be nice, though I have not recognized it at first glance.

But all in all: cool project! Have fun and success with it!

Sideline: Regarding the ‘chinese food’, one could discuss tons of socio-philosphical questions. Is the food we ‘westerners’ call Chinese Chinese? From which region of this huge country? What’s with authentic-vs-useful/creative-adaption? And if a Canadian/Vancouverite with Chinese grand-parents cooks these meals, is it Canadian or Chinese?

(of course, this goes with all topics in regard to ‘identity’, and I guess there is no single easy answer; no offense to anyone, anyway.
And yes, I’d (almost) always go for adaption, as adaption is movement (forward) while conservation is stagnation’)

To @Olive_Fang :clap: please keep beige colour, always white is … a little bit boring (to me) and yes @miriginger I would also make “Vancouver” more colourful (perhaps the flag colours of city Vancouver?) and … a little bit more snow on top of mountains ? On MY picture I see I only see darker beige !? Perhaps MY smartphone… So lovely @Olive_Fang it is obvious you love your town :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Yes that what I was thinking too! It’s a drink :see_no_evil:
I think today, boba drink isn’t exclusive to certain place (unless it’s the birthplace of the boba itself: Taiwan). That’s why it can be confusing to have boba drink representing Vancouver. I’ve never been to Vancouver, but if there’s specific flavour of boba invented in Vancouver or maybe other fusion dishes from Vancouver the design will be more representing!

2 Likes

@catchycat: may be globalisation reached Vancouver :wink: and… it is Vancouver-seen-loved-by- @Olive_Fang :heart_eyes: Original !

2 Likes