Can I have another name please

So I just drew the name of a gentleman who, in his profile, goes on about how the world is basically in a war state and to not send him various subjects which he perceives to be "enemy propaganda ". He then concludes with this zinger:
“You’re entitled to disagree with my political views, but it’s in your best interest to think twice before walking into the crossfire, which isn’t fun.”
Ok… I don’t care what his views are but this is the first time at Postcrossing where a profie makes me uncomfortable and I really want nothing to do with it. I don’t have any options for another name here do I?

4 Likes

Hello @cottontailfarm ,

You can contact the PC mainsite team HERE

Kind regards,
JetteLise

4 Likes

It isn’t possible to exchange an address or give it back - when drawing the address, you agree to send a card to this user… So you could just choose a card and send it with “standard” greetings.

Or you could ask the Postcrossing team for advice. Especially the profile’s last sentence sounds a bit menacing to me… :frowning: If I were you, I’d contact the Postcrossing team.

10 Likes

Wow that really sounds a little bit scary. The support team will definitely help you here. :slight_smile: just contact them asking for advice :slight_smile:

6 Likes

No…you don’t have other options here. You drew the address & you have to mail the card. The person whose address you drew doesn’t know anything about you; don’t be baited. That being so, select your card, write Happy PostCrossing and you are done.

1 Like

Honestly in certain situations I would just send them a basic card that says something like, “Happy Postcrossing” and move on. They’re being kind of threatening? I guess. They seem a bit aggressive as far as I can tell. I think you might want to contact the postcrossing help

4 Likes

Send him a card showing a pot/weed smoking hippie and tell him to cool down and relax.

Or something similar.

30 Likes

It’s probably at that point I would send a card with just ‘Happy Postcrossing’ on it. :rofl: (I hope I never have to do it though, I like to fill the card with writing but if there is someone so negative in theor profile I think I’d prefer to get it over with and get the count.)

2 Likes

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :100:

I’d send the happiest card I had and simply write, “I hope you have a joyous day.”

7 Likes

Thanks for the thoughts everyone. It’s just so off-putting to me to pull a profile like that after having so many wonderful experiences here. The first part of his profile (the list of "enemy propaganda ") I thought, hey, ok, maybe this is just about protecting himself from receiving certain types of mail in his country. But then it went off the rails a bit.
I think this is a good excuse to get rid of an ugly card and just write Happy Postcrossing. I’ve never even been tempted to do that before.

4 Likes

I can understand somewhat how you feel. I consider myself a Conservative and the majority of people on Postcrossing would probably lean more left than center on political and social issues. Many times I draw the address of someone who discusses a lot about what they feel they’re passionate about, and even though I don’t agree with them I just send the postcard anyways with a standard greeting and not try to pick a fight. As much as it irks me to see that they believe in things that I feel are damaging and oppressive to society, there’s nothing I can do about it. It’s so much easier just to be polite and never look back on it. That’s my two cents :wink:

2 Likes

Usually I would default to a “typical tourist postcard”. hope you like this card. This is a postcard of my city. And then briefly explain the card or write a little fact about the city not listed. Happy Postcrossing. Sign and send.

Another thing also is look through the person’s favorite album and see what they have favorited and if something you have can match up. Send the card. Sign and send.

2 Likes

That profile sounds vaguely familiar… If you feel like it, you could get in touch with the admins to ask them if they could help to make the profile more friendly and polite. If not, there’s nothing wrong in picking out a regular view card and writing down some general messages. Most people on postcrossing are just basically strangers at the end of the day.

3 Likes

I sent cards twice to this member. I will never forget his profile because of the statement you quoted above. What a very strong statement. And I am wondering which “enemy propaganda” he wrote that makes you feel uncomfortable. As far as I remember, he wrote that because of political issue in his country. You know what happen in his country, right?

Now I check his profile again and I am surprise that he has “enemy propaganda” number 3. I think this one that makes you feel uncomfortable. I don’t know if he’s added this list or I just missed it before. I also don’t understand why he wrote it. Does he have enough knowledge about this? I am not sure. I don’t know how media in his country wrote about issue number 3. Maybe there is also censorship.

Just send him a view card. He’s not that picky. As you can see, most of the cards in his favorite wall are view cards.
Not sure why he wrote number 3 as “enemy propaganda” but I know other people from his countries who feel the same about “enemy” number 1 and 2.

1 Like

I really do NOT care what this gentleman’s beliefs are or what movements he chooses to support/not support. That’s not my issue.
:
My issue is that:
“You’re entitled to disagree with my political views, but it’s in your best interest to think twice before walking into the crossfire, which isn’t fun.”
Makes it seem like he’s ready to harass anyone who sends a card he disagrees with.

Maybe I’ve made too much out of this in which case I truly apologize. I was very taken aback by that sentence considering all of the wonderful people I’ve met here.

Again, I’m sorry if I’ve made a mountain out of a molehill.

2 Likes

You should really contact the postcrossing support about this. The quote you’ve shown here is not appropriate and he should be informed about this by the “officials”.

2 Likes

@cottontailfarm Please get in touch with the team at https://www.postcrossing.com/contact if you haven’t done so yet.

I’m closing this topic because discussing profiles publicly isn’t the best approach here — we hope you understand.

3 Likes