Blocking Users

It’s even called ‘ignored’ :sweat_smile: I would never argue it’s important functionality to have.

I tried to explore it a bit as it looked to me personally a bit confusing of how everything will look like after muting/ignoring, so I hope now with screenshots not only the person who want to use that option will be aware of what will happen and what to expect but also people who might encounter being ignored can figure out how it looks like.

Muting will forbid a person to send you PMs (where most of invisible bullying might happen, since in public area messages are moderated) and you will not see any notifications from that user replying or @ you. IMO it’s good enough to avoid seeing someone’s messages. If you’re following a discussion thread and want to participate a discussion but choose to ignore in a dialog one of the opinions (which is not offensive if not removed by admins, right?). It feels a bit weird to me when someone expects to see only one type of opinion on public discussions, that ‘we’-thing @S_Tuulia mentioned (EDIT: Actually person who ignoring everyone who has different opinions doesn’t see any other, so using of ‘we’ is justified, since all opinions which don’t belong are hidden and community seems united and healthy :sweat_smile:)

3 Likes

I take your point, but not everyone is able to be civil or even particularly kind. Yes, we can flag up comments to the moderators, but if someone is abiding by the guidelines that won’t very much help.

In a perfect world, we’d all agree to disagree when it comes to trickier discussions, but this isn’t a perfect world. Plus there are always those who wish to poke the bear as it were for their own fun (every community has them).

Muting, therefore, isn’t enough. If you’re trying to read a 200 post thread and someone in that thread has been needling you, you can no longer take part in the discussion as a whole because you’ve been driven out and have no control over seeing that person’s messages.

It’s not about a “bubble” or only seeing opinions and ideas we agree with, it’s about understanding that some people will only ever argue with each other. There will always be personality clashes, and personally I’d prefer people to be able to “turn off” the conversation if they’re getting to the point of anger and possible abuse.

6 Likes

That’s either bullying (=reported to admins) or you can’t withstand other opinions (I can understand when the formulation of opinion is rude - then flag it and user receiving a flag can reformulate it).

This! Yes, I think I understood what you mean. It makes sense to use like ‘ignoring’ for a week/month option, and then discussion is not relevant anymore :woman_shrugging:

Let’s agree to disagree :+1: Because it seems we’re digging into personal nuances of understanding the issue, and it was said enough. And I feel like spamming the topic :see_no_evil:

3 Likes

This is sad, and so wrong, but will turn to their own disadvantage.
If they don’t send the cards, it will show, and if they don’t register, it will show too, and they will be blocked from sending cards, but I think only after some time.

But this is what I worry in the blocking as well. If they don’t like someone at all, and block them, they won’t probably register their card or send a card to them, because to them the person as a whole is bad (?).

1 Like

I tried notifying admins when I received several harrassing messages but they didnt help me

1 Like

I agree with you. The ignore feature is my favourite feature here and I wish it was even stronger. :slightly_smiling_face: I think it is healthy to walk away from people who are consistently argumentative or inappropriate, especially after you have given them chances and even tried to smooth things over in PMs but they continue on.

4 Likes

Agreed! I think we do broadly agree, it’s just the little details we’re getting stuck on.

1 Like

Same for me. I reported and never got an answer back from the admins. :disappointed:

1 Like

I’ve read through this thread (very helpful!). Does anyone know how these features (block, mute, ignore…) would affect old private messages…I don’t want those to disappear in case I need them if the person continues to bother me. Kind of proof that I’ve been trying to be reasonable and nice in this unfortunate situation :disappointed_relieved: And how will these features affect if I host a lottery and they post there? I’m hoping I never find myself in a situation where I need to mail to them again.

2 Likes

I’m not sure how they affect messages on the platform, but all PMs go to my email as well, and my guess is they would always be there?

I had forgotten about email! I don’t think the messages I send (responses I send) in PMs show up in my email, though - maybe I changed some settings when I joined the forum? I’ll check that out. Thank you, @beatriceh !

1 Like

If you’ve added someone to the ‘Ignore’ list, their old messages won’t disappear, the body of their message would be replaced with a text that says ‘Ignored content’. You can always remove the member from the Ignore list to view the text again. With the mute feature, the message content can still be seen.

Ignoring or Muting won’t stop a member from seeing or replying to your public posts on the forum. If an ignored member replies to your lottery for instance, it will show up as ‘View 1 hidden reply’. If you expand the view hidden reply, you can see what they’ve posted. If you’ve muted someone on the other hand, their replies would be visible just like any other reply.

3 Likes

Just to be sure, I would take screenshots of the messages.

And I hope if there’s something against Postcrossing, you let the admins know about this?
Because some members keep multiple profiles, there’s a chance you need to send them again. Or they will send to you. (That’s also why I think it’s always better to solve things and not mute/block, but of course I don’t know what your situation is.)

3 Likes