Black ink for post card ID

I tend to write the ID in the middle of my message, and draw a box around it. I use black ink, because that is the common colour of pen we have here. If I can I print it off and tape it onto the card, other times I just write it, it depends. I don’t place it anywhere near the address side, as sometimes I think it can be mistaken for a postal code. That’s what it suggests in the guidelines anyway.

But it was a learning process for me, it can be hard for people to get out of habit of way of doing something, especially when it is something like this. More so when you might have a lot to write.

-shrugs- just my thoughts.

3 Likes

I understand your point, but I read it over a few times before posting. I guess for Americans it can be interpreted as rude. If I was the poster I would have simply suggested to state that black ink is preferred and that is it. Pointing out it is the OP’s problem even if it is would be against the etiquette rules I grew up with. It is like saying “we don’t care”, at least the way I was taught.

Maybe I am wrong or just old fashioned or maybe etiquette rules vary around the world (we all know they do). I was also taught to use black ink only for both social and business correspondence which of course is very out of date. But my wife’s job actually prohibits any color but black for company documentation. Some US Government forms also require black only like passport applications.

3 Likes

I just sent a card out yesterday where I wrote the ID in thick, red ink. For me specifically, having the ID in a different color makes it stand out and easier to find. I have all different colored pens, and I typically switch them out every couple cards. With something like not wanting a particular color ink used due to vision impairment, I would suggest putting that into your profile bio, that way when someone gets your address and bio, they know you have a vision impairment and have a hard time seeing certain colored inks. Unfortunately, not every Postcrosser participates in the forum, so the majority of people who may send a card to you at one point or another may not ever see this request unless it’s put into your bio.

7 Likes

It’s not breaking etiquette pointing out someone is (somewhat) rude, in front of others/the audience they made the etiquette mistake in (and with possibility they use not their mother tongue, and come from different culture)?

(I’m actually interested in this, as I see someone is surprisingly “easily” called rude here.)

2 Likes

Interesting! In my country I think a blue pen is preferred because with it one can distinguish whether it is a document copy or not, and make sure the signature wasn’t printed. One can print a colorful signature too but it is easier to distinguish a printed version from the handwritten when it is in a color different from black.

Though the signature in a passport is black, a fountain pen is used here.

4 Likes

Some documents here also require blue for similar reasons.

1 Like

I always use black ink for the basic address, and blue to contrast the name of the country so it’s more obvious to USPS it’s international. I write the message in black also.

3 Likes

I think you can put that information to your profile, so people can write it like you prefer ^^

I have information that I am visually impaired and can’t really read light colours (like yellow or light green). I think it is helpful for those who write cards to me.

I usually write ID darker colour (black or dark Blue)

6 Likes

Must be a cultural faux pas on my part for which I apologize. Most Americans would call out someone in public who demeaned or made light of someone’s disability and so I just reacted.
I am trying to think of an example of what I meant in my original post. Ummmm…. I have a vision impairment myself but it is simply corrected by eyeglasses so I can still drive and work (except maybe as a pilot or locomotive engineer and so on). In my USPS career I can recall an example that might illustrate the alleged “rudeness”. One day a very arrogant businessman threw a letter in front of me to post. I subconsciously adjusted my spectacles to get a better look at the address and for this little motion he got mad at me. I apologized and said I only wanted to better see his letter. He told me my eyesight was not his problem and to get on with it etc etc etc. At least in the USA this last statement, however true, would be excessive and unnecessary. The initial rudeness can be forgiven but the extra comment of that sort can be heard as fighting words by some people (I did not) and I have seen it on the street and in American movies. I have seen it enough times to think there IS some extra rudeness attached, at least on the streets of New York City. And it’s not just personal issues. It is equally insulting if it were about money, transport, job, time, or just about anything. Never say one does not care, or worse that you DGAF (don’t ask what that stands for).

6 Likes

As I do print my labels with a label printer I have "PostcardID: DE- 1234567890 right above the address (the first line of the label) got no complaints about a missent in several hundred cards
(but once a “you had forgotten to write the ID” mail - which just can’t be the case as I’m using the same template since the beginning and as it’s on the same label ripped off or lost of only that part would be unlikely too)
I also have stamp for the ID meanwhile and if I do have space it also goes on the left border of the card just to be safe.

3 Likes

I always use black ink because it’s unambiguously dark enough to read (unlike some coloured inks which may not be as saturated), and also because it’s habit from working in government, where photocopiers cannot always render blue ink very well.

About the Postcrossing ID, I always have it twice as the guidelines recommend. Once framed by a cute rubber stamp, and then again written vertically along the side away from the address. Then I highlight both with yellow highlighting marker :laughing: Sometimes I include it on the address label, too, when I don’t just hand-write the address.

I think it’s supposed to be cut and not used over the address.

Here are the id writing rules:

"Where do I write the Postcard ID?

For a postcard you sent to be registered, the receiver must be able to read its Postcard ID.

If you put it in an area where it might be read by mail sorting machines, it could be confused for a post code, which would delay its delivery. And if you write it too close to the stamp area, it might be stamped over, causing the receiver some problems deciphering it!

Here are some do’s and don’ts for writing the Postcard ID:

DO:

• do write it clearly, and use large letters/numbers
  • do write it on the left half of the postcard (direction of text is unimportant)
  • do write it more than once on the postcard
  • do double-check that you wrote it correctly

DON’T:

• don’t write it under, above or to the right of the address
  • don’t write it next to the postage area
  • don’t write it with ink that smudges easily"
6 Likes

Ok. That was not at all the situation here though. (Or not even what I meant.
More like wearing wrong length dress, using a wrong word, wrong form of a question etc., do people really mention it aloud too, in front of others, and think it’s not uncomfortable to the dress wearer/mistake maker (and they themselves think they still are following the etiquette/good manners)). :smile:

And something about the topic too, I’ve noticed if it’s hard to see the id, sometimes tilting the card helps, or taking a photo and enlarging it.

The reason why I was pointing out the ‘you’ problem was that this threat was first posted in “Suggestions” and not in “General Topics”. This person was making a suggestion to make a rule for it, and that was not something I personally agreed with as it was a problem he was facing (aka the ‘You problem’) and not something the majority of Postcrossing was facing. So that’s why I said it was a problem for that person specifically. But I do agree with you that I might have to write it a bit more neatly, as it might come off as rude. English isn’t my native language and I have sometimes some difficulty wording things right.

5 Likes

I don’t use the PC print outs (don’t like the font and that frame around the ID find it hard to read when printed)
Would not cut it, can’t cut straight lines (visual and disability affecting motor skills) that would look ugly.
I would not put it at the bottom because too close to the zip code for my liking and I decided against only the ID and kept PostcardID in front so that it’s more clear it has nothing to do with the address.
And it seems to work pretty well for years now.

I think the majority understood, and all who liked your post, liked the thing that you suggested putting the info to their profile, and not that they thought you rudely say “it’s your problem” (and liked that :frowning: )
:hugs: at least I think this way :slight_smile:

Yes, print, write, etc. my point was that even though the id is presented on top of the address, it’s not the place intended to write it to.

2 Likes

I had a postcrosser suggest that we place IDs somewhere away from the postcard edges
as sometimes postcard edges don’t hold up under sorting machines, and another suggested we highlight IDs. So, I write my ID in two spots, one vertically, one horizontally and highlight both. While yellow highlighter hurts my eyes (don’t :joy:—I already do that to myself!), I take a hit for my fellow postcrossers!

I think you didn’t really understand my explaination or how it was meant by the person who wrote it.

Maybe it is, as you said, because you’re American (though I don’t think so because through my whole life I’ve had always contact with Americans and they know or use that phrase) or, what I believe, it is because you’ve met that really arrogant and outrageous businessman. But - if you compare your experience and how it was written / meant here you can see the huge different.

I don’t want to explain again (which does not lead to a goal if someone doesn’t see how it is meant, due to an unpleasant experience) just: If I have a problem with something (in that case red color), I have to tell others if I want it to be avoid.

I (Angelthecat) have a problem with (most of) dogs due to unpleasant experience so I ask on my profile to avoid dog cards. Which works for 99 %.
Is it your problem? No, it is mine.

I really can’t explain better, so I hope you now understand :blush:

2 Likes

I would be fine with: “I have trouble reading colors, so please write the ID# in black on my cards. Thank you.”

4 Likes