Birthday cards: before or after?

Hello dear postcrossers!

Lately I have sent some birthday postcards. Today I was reading the profile of a poscrosser who asked not to send birthday wishes in advance but only after the day and this got me wonder how people feel about this issue, and what the local traditions are.

Personally I don’t mind receiving my birthday cards before the day, actually I prefer it that way. But what do you think?

8 Likes

Honestly, I’d prefer that the birthday cards are sent before my birthday, so that they have a chance of arriving in time. If they arrive before the day, that’s fine. If the cards travel slow, that’s part of the deal.
Sending a birthday card several days after the birthday seems strange to me.

I think I’ve read that in some countries it’s bad luck or something if one gets birthday cards before the birthday. I might not remember it correctly, though.

4 Likes

In Germany it is said if someone wish you a happy birthday in either way before the actual day it brings bad luck.

I have though mixed feelings of receiving cards early, but I think it is fine to receive early wishes by mail. But if I can choose I prefere them on time or later, so rather send near the date than later.

5 Likes

Yes, e.g. in Germany it’s considered bad luck congratulating before the actual day. 1-2 days early for written birthday wishes are quite normal though, but in my family we would put those mail away until our birthday and only read it then.

6 Likes

I prefer before as well - especially if it needs time to travel in the mail.

But then I’m the sort to prepare well ahead of time. One year I bought presents in January. The birthdays were in May and August

As for after - well, better late than never I guess?

1 Like

And here me is just wishing to recieve birthday wishes before after doesn’t matter :sob::heart:

Ps. Shameless promotion; my birthday is on 19th August :grin: u can send me your postcards if u want ehehe. :sob::heart::grin:

5 Likes

I dont mind If i get them before , in time or after. ITS the thought what counts. I have in August 16th. Feel free when you Draw me :wink:

1 Like

@Tetsuko and @Cassiopheia maybe a solution could be to send the postcard in an envelope so the recipient can choose when to open it. It is so difficult to predict mail travelling times!

3 Likes

Personally I don’t mind too much tbh. At least for Postcrossing… I’m fully aware that stuff like this is handled very differently all over the globe :smiley: And I’m not superstitious :grin:

1 Like

I prefer birthday cards sent before or after, cause you don’t know when they’ll reach so it’s totally surprise element, and the real fun is, i collect and pile up all mails received before my birthday “tagged” as birthday mails/cards and keep them separate and open them on my actual birthday. And have a nice opening of the envelopes on my birthday.
About late birthday cards, i just love them cause through them i get to celebrate my birthday in October, November, December and sometimes (very late card) in March also haha :joy: that’s fun of Snailmailing :love_letter: you have birthday on any day!

3 Likes

Personally I don’t care. I do not believe in bad luck or any other superstition. As long as it isn’t mentioned anything I would handle it as you always do :slight_smile:

1 Like

In Lithuania, we also have a superstition that greetings before a birthday means bad luck. I don’t believe in superstitions and it makes me very sad when my birthday is on December 29, and my colleagues congratulate me in January - after all, it’s a completely different year…

6 Likes

Here in Germany, many people tend to think that getting birthday cards before the birthday gives you ‘bad luck’. Personally, I am not that superstitious, so I don’t really mind.

1 Like

I clearly mark that they are gor birthday on the outdide and only date for the month of the birthday when they are opened is up to the recipient.

Personally I like them before so I can displsy them for a while. :blush:

In the Czech Republic it is also a custom to wish after rather than before. Celebrating someting that hasn’t happend yet feels a bit weird, it still may not happen :sweat_smile: But of course it depends on your level of superstitiousness and I believe it is very low for most people. They just might be puzzled why you are wishing already.

I understand that you may not want a premature birthday greeting “live” - from a neighbor, from a classmate who lives nearby, and the like. But as soon as the post office gets involved, everything becomes different, more unpredictable. How can anyone want international mail to arrive on their birthday? It may happen happily someday, but it is not realistic at all.

5 Likes

When I received cards that I KNOW it’s for my Birthday, I received them with pleasure but read them the day of my Birthday.
If I receiveand read them early no problem. We never know with the delivery delays.

3 Likes

Agree with all the other German postcrossers - people say it brings bad luck when the greetings come earlier.
I’m also not superstitious and don’t care.
In Round Robin Birthday groups I prefer sending the cards in an envelope, so they can decide when to open it (except to people who don’t want to receive envelopes at all, so it’s their ‘risk’ if the cards arrive earlier)

1 Like

It is interesting to see that different countries, and different people, have different views. In Italy it’s quite normal to wish happy birthday in advance, whereas doing so afterwards looks like you have forgotten and usually one feels like apologizing.
But when it comes to the mail it’s an entirely different story! I think I’ll use envelopes from now on, unless otherwise specified.

3 Likes

In Italy it’s bad luck to wish Happy Birthday in advance, and people can take great offence if you do
I don’t really know about snail mail, it’s not that common anymore to be aware of etiquette