Belarus cards undeliverable

Same for me. I suspect Belarus addresses drawn during that interim period never actually departed for Belarus. The recipient is very active and has not received a postcard from the U.S. since before the first closed period. Mine has expired and I consider it lost for good, but maybe I will be pleasantly surprised one day with a registration message!

2 Likes

I sent a Belarus card during the open “window” which was received a week or so after it expired.

4 Likes

Maybe you can find a middle Country which can receive from US and send to Belarus.

If you need that kind of help,I think I am helpful

2 Likes

Yesterday I wanted to offer the same thing that @Yunlong put down, but I was embarrassed because everyone has a status “Not interested in direct swaps”.

I think this is a good solution if you have several signed postcards that have been returned to you: to send them in one envelope and then resend with Armenian stamps: it will take 5-6 weeks (approximately 4 weeks USA-Armenia, 1-2 Armenia-Belarus).

2 Likes

No. The postal stop is there for a reason, subverting it is inappropriate.

1 Like

Besides, we’re not allowed to share addresses we receive with anyone else (unless you ask the recipient in Belarus -or wherever), so asking someone else to forward a postcard for you is against the rules.

I do realise that this was suggested with the best of intentions, but the rules are there for a reason.

6 Likes

Thanks to all for your thoughtful and thought-provoking replies. I also learned that the US Postal Service will refund postal costs in these circumstances. I will try it next week. For now, a related question: How can I get notified of when the US has resumed first class mail to a particular country?

1 Like

See the mail monitor of this country

It’s there a way to get notifications?

https://www.postcrossing.com/postal-monitor
See here which countries the US ships to

I can not visit a web site daily for information about international mail suspensions. I do not see a way to receive updates. I feel certain that someone in the world of US business has set up a notification system…

You could potentially set this thread to Watching or Tracking and then you would get notifications when a new post was made. Not the most efficient, but may be your best bet.

3 Likes

I don’t think it will be necessary to visit the website daily.
I think it will be enough to have a look once a week or every fortnight :slight_smile:

4 Likes

The only way for now is to look up the international mail suspensions. The PC postal monitor links to the official USPS site which updates when suspensions happen. Also people from PC constantly update.

Usps site doesnt currently have an option to recieve notifications

I personally check PC suspensions and then click the link that leads me to the official USPS site.

2 Likes

I also drew an official address to Belarus on the 1st of July and it has expired also. But I did not use a return address so I will not have it returned. How do you receive a refund from the USPS if you have no proof you sent it? I don’t think my local PO would take my word for it considering how they operate here. My carrier knows the postcards I send and receive from my mailbox, but I don’t know how she could become involved in it. Perhaps my card will still make it. Does anyone know when the first suspension began?

1 Like

There is not a notification system set up on PostCrossing for service alerts. PostCrossing is a free service run by volunteer administrators in Portugal, and funded by donations and some advertising.
Adding a new feature to the PostCrossing website would require hiring someone to write the code, ensure it works properly, etc., which takes time and money.
Many of these mail delays and suspensions are due to a war, and a pandemic.
Perhaps you could program a reminder in your phone’s calendar to remind you to check for updates twice a week or so?
I have a card en route to Belarus as well, since early June, so the frustration is understandable.

3 Likes

Great suggestion! So many helpful solutions offered in this thread for this unusual situation regarding mail suspensions.

1 Like

The cards came back to me. I may go for the refund, just to see what happens, Journeyforth…

1 Like

Thanks, I will ask!

Pleasant surprises are the best. Adding my log onto the fire :crossed_fingers:

1 Like