Are your postcards taking longer to arrive to their destination?

russia is the country where a lot of my postcards get lost, but lately things are getting better: it often takes a month +/- for my sent and received postcards.
postcards to and from china are often faster: my latest sent postcard needed 15-20 days (best record 13 days in august), but there are some expired too.
i have a lot of expired postcards to usa too recently and today i received from netherlands after 74 days

I havenā€™t received from Spain lately, but my cards to/from Europe arrive pretty fast. May be Germany is a little slower than before.
Also cards to/from Russia seems arrive faster, some even in 7-8 days, but itā€™s neighboring country for us. Cards to USA and China take longer to arrive.

This is my sad realityā€¦ I just hope they eventually arrive!

6 Likes

I have 10 cards traveling, some over a month, and nothing arrives. From Germany to USA or Japan itā€™s unusual to take that long. I guess itā€™s because the worldwide situation plus christmas post overload. We just have to be patient :no_mouth:

More than half my postcards from Canada destined to places like Germany, China and Russia are still in travelling mode, and are approaching or surpassing the 30 day mark. Normally, Germany averages between 9 to 20 days of travelling from Canada.

Postcards already travelling to China and Russia from Canada are so slow already. Is there a reason why? Is there also a way of speeding up the travelling time too?

1 Like

Iā€™m from Russia. I sent a card to a person who lives in the same appartment house as me and it took eight days to arrivešŸ‘€ 10 or 12 days to another country sounds like a miracle. Cards to Germany take 3 weeks to arrive and itā€™s the fastest. All other countries are a lottery. My card to the USA expired and the card from the USA took 40 days to arrive. What I canā€™t understand is why cards to Finland take so long? Like 70 days and more. Arenā€™t we neighbours? And to the Netherlands too. Itā€™s not that Iā€™m complaining, Russian post moves in mysterious ways its wonders to perform and we are used to it. But I am an impatient person and new to postcrossing so it bothers me that I have to wait for so long. The good thing, Russian post rarely loses things, at least in my experience.

9 Likes

Yes, Iā€™ve noticed all my postcards are taking much longer to travel. Iā€™ve had a card to Germany time out, and they have always been one of the fastest places to send to. I currently have seven postcards traveling, two of which have now expired. I recently moved to Canada and the slow down coincided with when I started sending postcards again once I had found an apartment and had a mailing address again. So, Iā€™m not sure how much is the pandemic and how much is Canada Post. Things had slowed down a bit when I was still in the US, but nothing like it is right now.

1 Like

Hello Diana!

Yes, postcards and letters are taking ages both ways. Most of my Postcrossing cards are expired at this point, as well. In late November I received cards from Finland that had been sent in August!
So far, this is an unprecedent situation with Spanish Post, Iā€™d say. When I started to send postcards again through Postcrossing after a long break, mail was much faster (that was around July) -I cannot speak about the Spring lockdown as I did not send any mail at that time- But then, situation changed in late September/October and I have had problems ever sinceā€¦ Nothing from me is arriving to destinationā€¦

1 Like

I hope all of your cards will arrive!

2 Likes

Try 110 days from France to New Zealand which normally would have been two weeks. Most of the mail coming to New Zealand is viva ship. Some of those ships could not berth and have sailed on. Iā€™ve had several non postcrossing parcels and birthday mail never arrive. And my birthday was in August. So when I hear people say what once was seven days is now 15, realise how fortunate you are.

8 Likes

:pensive: Oh wowā€¦ yes, you are right. We need to put things into perspective. Thanks for your comment and welcome to the forum!

Today 11 January 2021 I had a postcard from Russia arrive. Looking at the postmark and date, 28 January. Thatā€™s quick I though before realising that we have had that date yet. The card was posted on 28 January 2020. A whopping 383 days to arrive. Over one year. Perhaps there is hope for my missing parcels and mail.

9 Likes

:flushed::face_with_hand_over_mouth: Oh my! I guess you are right, we need to be patient given the circumstances. Let us hope this does not entail cuts in postal services, as they are doing in Spain :pensive:

1 Like

Yup, mine are certainly taking longer to reach me or even oneā€™s I post, yesterday I recieved one from china dated Sep 2020ā€‹:sweat_smile: I posted 7 before Christmas all to European countries & none have been registered yet :cry::cry:

1 Like

Hello! Iā€™m new in Postcrossing.
For two months I have sent 13, 7 have already arrived and I have only received 2, very slow :disappointed:

1 Like

Between 6 November and 5 December 2020 my wife and I picked forty addresses. The thirty two that have been registered took between eight and sixty one days to reach their destinations. Overall average of around thirty two days, so yes, travelling times are slow. This does not matter to us as much as the fact that eight out of the forty cars have not been registered, though weā€™ve not given up hope on all of them, four are going to ā€œghostcrossersā€, newbies who seemed to quit shortly after they joined. So ten per cent of our cards had no chance of being registered.

Of course this is only a small statistical sampling and only time will tell if such a high rate of unregistered cards will become the new norm for us.

2 Likes

I had a few that didnā€™t get there. But only 2. I dismissed it and figured I just wrote the address wrong

1 Like

From Ireland here. Iā€™ve had a lot not make itā€¦ Was wondering what was going on. Maybe there has been more lost than usual.

3 Likes

Yes from Shanghai,China to Europe is longer than before around 4weeks now

3 Likes

I have several cards traveling for over 3 weeks now to the US and various European countries, and one to the Netherlands that will expire tomorrow. Canada Post has been affected by insanely high volumes during the holidays, plus the effects of the pandemic - outbreaks, absenteeism, and having to change protocols to protect staff. I expect this will continue for at least a few more weeks.

@AYates welcome to Canada!

2 Likes