Anyone have any mailbox horror stories?

Have you asked the building manager or management company about this? They should have duplicate or master keys to the mailboxes in their building. That’s frustrating, good luck!

1 Like

That’s good advice. I need to go to the manager’s office tomorrow anyway. I will ask them.
Thanks
April 8, 2024. The lunar eclipse must have worked some magic. My mail from freed from its dungeon today. But alas, my postage stamps were not in there. Oh well, its best to take your victories were you can find them.

3 Likes

One of my neighbors has an angry and unsocialized dog. Usually, the dog lives in the yard of its owner’s house and does not approach people. Sometimes, however, it breaks out and then “protects its home” at the street intersection. However, once the dog had come down the street to my house (I don’t have a fence around it). I have a mailbox in my yard, tied to an oak tree. And when I went to get the mail that day, that dog “marked the territory” there and started barking at me. In my yard! At my mailbox!!!

6 Likes

You should mark the oak tree with your perfume. The stupid dog won’t come again.

3 Likes

By now everyone has probably received a sailboat stamp on a card. I just got a new sheet of them to use (they fit nicely with lighthouse themes)

1 Like

Last summer, there was a wasp hive in the newspaper box directly underneath our mailbox. I got stung, and my toddler also got stung. Had to spray them out of there. I now check every day even though we don’t get newspaper, just to make sure that they aren’t building anything again!

3 Likes

:scream: :scream_cat: Oh my goodness, that’s pretty awful. I would be afraid to put my hand anywhere near there.

Believe it or not but I’m back again with another story of horror.
If you remember, I live in an apartment building that has those central mailboxes. I open mine up today to see that the mail worker has shoved my package into the mailbox and I can’t get it out. After struggling with it for several minutes, I go and get my scissors and start to open up the plastic bag and take as many times out as I can. Unfortunately, the biggest item won’t come out. I cut the cardboard away from it, but on my next tug the glass item breaks. I cut my finger a little getting it out.

I know the worker had to have really struggled to put it in there, so I wonder why they even did it. Maybe they thought it was a game or else couldn’t get it back out either.

The story doesn’t end here. Crammed in the mailbox behind the package was about 10 pieces of mail, one of which was a forwarded piece dated January 2024. Remember, I moved back in Oct 2023.

For the cherry on the top, I had another package that they put into the large package box. It was good ole #4, the one where my other package was trapped for 2 weeks. I was able to open it this time but I did have put some force behind it.

I swear to you. I am not making this stuff up. The mail service here in Atlanta is horrible. I never did receive my 5 sheets of international postage stamps. I am looking into how to file a complaint against my mail carrier. I feel they are doing this stuff on purpose now.

6 Likes

:scream: :scream_cat: :scream_cat:

This is horrible :pleading_face::fearful:

I would guess he/she thought that the parcel would be save in the box (so it could not be stolen), and that is why they struggled to fit it in. :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

They have larger boxes that are specifically made for larger packages.
That also brings up a question, do they no longer leave packages at the post office to be picked up?

Earlier this year, I tried sending mail to Russia via Germany. I thought it worked because it took a month. But a month later, it came back like this, dented and my German stamp was torn, crossed out and stamped to be returned to sender :")

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Someone told me if I write “via Germany” it should arrive safely, but mine didn’t either. Maybe it sometimes works but sometimes not?

2 Likes

I’m on holiday in Croatia and there are no mailboxes here to be seen. Looked for them in the cosy little streets in the old centre of Pula with a square here and there, nut nope… Yesterday we went to the city mall with quite a lot of bigger shops, cafés and restaurants. It had a kiosk where I could buy stamps, but no mailbox. You cannot buy stamps in shops, by the way, not even if they sell postcards. Stamps, apparently, can only be bought in kiosks and post offices. Pula has one post office. And hence, one postbox. (As far as I know). Unfortunately, this is not within a walking distance and there is no private parking. Street parking is nearby, but there’s hardly a spot available… Today, we are going to visit another town and hopefully, I will pass a post office or at least a mailbox. I’ve already sent off a first lot of postcards here, but technically, that wasn’t me. We were sightseeing in a place nearby, but again: no mailbox to be seen. I saw a camping and went to its recepion. I believed campings would at least have a mailbox for all their tourists. When I asked the receptionist where I could find one, he told me that he would take care of them. I made him pinky promise :smiling_face:. I guess he thought I was staying at the camping. Those were my official cards… I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the ones I still have for swaps, family and myself (yes, I also write to myself as a lasting memory of our holiday).

4 Likes

I think what works is to send the letter to someone in Germany. Then your German friend sends the mail to Russia from Germany might work

1 Like

Hi! I’ve got another problem. A couple of times the senders showed me their beautiful envelopes/cards with more than enough stamps on them. And that mail got lost on its way. It doesn’t always happen but I never know which one will arrive safely. I’m a bit afraid of arranging swaps now just because I don’t want senders to get upset.

2 Likes

Unfortunately today I had my first mailbox horror story. The postcard arrived in this state:

And this is after I tried to flatten it! In the beginning it almost had an angle of 135 degrees! :rage:
That made me really sad! All the postcards I received so far came in almost perfect conditions. This card was sent from Australia (my 3rd one), all other cards from Australia arrived without any damage on them…

3 Likes

Once a big postbox like this fell too after a storm across the street- it was a sight!

I am in my own horror story right now. I have done a swap of postcard for washi tape. They sent the postcard. I have sent the envelope of washi tape going on 3x’s now. And it keeps getting returned to me. I have heard three different reasons for this by my postal carrier, who is a wonderful friend, as a side note.
But, the envelope is currently on my desk right now waiting to go out on Monday for the 4th time. So, everyone say a prayer or blessings or whatever! I need it to make it to SIngapore without it coming back and having to spend a lot of money getting it through customs! Lol

7 Likes