Anyone have any mailbox horror stories?

Not my story, but looks terrible enough.

Luckily my local post office only put those disinfection stickers on envelopes.

9 Likes

Those aren’t very pretty, are they :sob:
But, they are part of postal history now… Not sure what I’d do, try to peel them off or keep them as they are.
Maybe they’ll be valuable in 50 years! :wink:

10 Likes

I sent a friend a postcard from vacation, moreover, that she came a month later, although she went inside the country, she came only part of it, on which were written the address, and the second part of it, where it happened, where I wrote to her wishes, so he did not imagine, but it’s a shame😔

3 Likes

Same tho! Granted the spider I found on my postcard wasn’t venomous.

3 Likes

Christmas 2019. I received about 30 postcards in one day (they were from several previous months). Every single postcard has my address crossed with a black marker and stickers all over the front page, stating that I don’t live in the building. The postal worker who was responsible for delivering mail was just lazy to read tags on mailboxes and thanks to her, almost all my mail was getting lost or stuck in the post office while she worked there.

Luckily, someone didn’t know how to return postcard with no sender address, so they bothered to find me.

I wrote a complaint that managed to get the worker fired. If it was an honest mistake, I wouldn’t mind that much, but she wasn’t doing her job at all. Several people from the post office confirmed that my mailbox was correctly labeled and that she was at fault.

17 Likes

I came home from dropping my daughter off the other day and found our neighborhood mailboxes like this. No idea what happened. They’ve now been repaired but it was very odd!

8 Likes

The sticker you below… They place it over the stamps in my case. I tried to tear it off…
Sadly I damaged the stamps in the process. I’m so sad about it… :frowning:

Filed a complaint… Really postnl… Why do this… the address was totally readable… :frowning:
If someone from Japan sees this and has monkey stamps, and wants to do a swap. Please message me!
I love monkeys… When I see this it makes me wanna throw up. Thanks Dutch PostNL.

2 Likes

Grrrrr

2 Likes

:cry: :crying_cat_face:

If I understood it correctly, PostNL staff manually attach these stickers to cards that are non-machinable (other than standard format, illegible handwriting etc.) so they can put it through the machine for sorting. Seems like the cards are the victims of technical improvement… :cry:

Here in Germany our mail is also sorted mostly by machines, but luckily there are no stickers attached — if a card can’t be sorted by a machine, it goes into manual sorting and is handled by humans :smiley:

4 Likes

It’s really stupid that PostNL does this… The cards are really lame, and hard to remove. I had a sticker on my card from another country, and that sticker peeled off without any problem. What I hate most about PostNL is the carelessness in which the sticker is attached. As if no one really cares about post. You shouldn’t be a post company, if you do not care about post.

I am really impressed witht the Deutsche post. I live close to the German border, and I either go to Tüddern or Isenbruch to send my post. And the German post really works well. Cards move quite fast, and I’m happy they seem to care about the post. I also like all the stamps and such. Yeah the Deutsche post is quite amazing. I don’t even want to buy Dutch stamps anymore.

4 Likes

Thanks everyone for sharing feedback on your mailbox horror stories! :scream: :scream_cat: I was really moved by posts from the following people who also received a lot of likes. I would like to send out Jetoy cat postcards to the following Postcrossers:

@Twinspot
@Florallle
@princeofasturias
@Cassisia
@journeyforth
@Kompis-Ninna
@Tara_Bell
@Snipe
@siobhan
@postcrossingbali
@aerobear

If you are one of the 11 people noted here, please message me with your address and I will mail you a random Jetoy cat postcard (as long as there is no postal restriction in place).

Thank you for participating. Feel free to continue sharing mailbox horror stories here, but today is the closing date for the jetoy cat postcard giveaway for the most liked stories.

:heart_decoration: :two_hearts: :sunny: :rainbow:

6 Likes

I came home from a lovely holiday to find my puppy had ripped apart one of my postcards, I managed to stick what I could back together but I was still upset.

3 Likes

the biggest horror is when the mailbox is empty :ghost::ghost::ghost::ghost:

23 Likes

I had a card arrive with about a third of it ripped off! :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Not using USPS blue boxes anymore. Just recently the one right in front of a big post office was broken into as well as the one near my wife’s work. I don’t know how as they are both in busy areas even at night.

3 Likes

This one arrived completely ripped apart a few days ago in a plastic bag. I’m also wondering what happend :sweat_smile: I’ll try to fix it soon.
Apart from that I also received quiet a few cards folded, with lots of ink on the front or with water damage on the back (which makes it hard or impossible to read).
Unfortunately, that’s part of Postcrossing as well :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

i have no horror stories in my mailbox, but something related to misdelivery.

some months ago i sent an envelope to china, but it has been missent to hong kong, where they decided it was easier to send it back to me on the other side of the world, instead of the real addressee.
luckily the stamps haven’t been marked, so i put a sticker on their missent sticker and tried my luck again: this time it arrived to its destination.

this week i received back an envelope i sent to usa in september, i thought it was strange because she already received other postcards sent by me, so i sent her a message and she told me about mail thefts in the zone where she lives and that probably at the mail office someone decided it was safer sending something back to the sender than risking other mail thefts from mailboxes.
stamps haven’t been marked this time too and now they are on a postcard on the way to malaysia :rofl:

in the zone where i live there’s not always the same postman, it’s often different: one comes in the morning, one shows up at lunchtime, another rings at mid afternoon and sometimes i receive something not for me; sometimes i received something for one of my neighbors in the building, sometimes i receive something for someone living not far from me and in this case i go and deliver to the right addressee.
last summer i didn’t want to deliver a postcard not for me because it was a long way up and it was hot, but i had to go to the mail philatelic office to buy some stamps so i explained what happened and the gentle employee said that postcard would be delivered to the right address, but much to my surprise some days later i found that postcard again in my mailbox, though names, road and numbers were totally different, so this time i surrendered and i delivered that postcard.

another time i could have unintentionally caused a mailbox horror story to someone else: i opened an envelope from russia i found in my mailbox, but when i started reading i realized it wasn’t for me, then i’ve read the address on the envelope, it was totally different than mine, and i went to deliver that envelope because it wasn’t far from where i live, but nobody opened when i rang, so i put it in advertising box on the outside

5 Likes

Today I was mailing postcards at a Canada Post mailbox. I pushed them through the slot, and then when I discovered that a person could also pull the chute to drop their mail, I decided to pull it open to see that the postcards fell into the collection area.

To my surprise, one postcard was still sitting in the chute area, and although my postcard fell to the bottom after a second try, underneath my postcard was someone’s letter! I had to open and close the chute again to make sure the letter fell to the bottom.

The moral of the story seems to be to always double check that your cards have fallen to the bottom of the mailbox.

4 Likes

A few days ago I was excited to receive a beautiful postcard in the mail. When I looked at the back, I realized it was meant for another Postcrosser situated in another Canadian city. Does anyone know how mail gets misdelivered to the wrong address in the wrong city?

I brought the postcard to the postoffice and they sent it on its proper journey.

2 Likes