[Closed] Any postcard-y must-dos / bookshops to see in Scotland?

Hi there, I’m going to travel in Scotland for 10 days (Stirling - Skye - Inverness - Edinburgh). Are there any must-see post offices or places to buy unique postcards you can recommend? I also like cute, unique or just mad bookshops, so any recommendation is highly appreciated.
Thanks in advance!

You could easily spend the full 10 days in great bookshops in Edinburgh… my son lives there so I shall ask him which are best to go to if nobody else knows first. Hope you have good weather for Skye, the only time I went it was thick fog, could only see a couple of meters around you!

… just remembered there is a shop called Paper Tiger which has a range of postcards - its in the Haymarket area of Edinburgh if I remember right. You also have a wide range of museums and art galleries right in the centre of the city that will probably have their own.

2 Likes

Great, thank you!
I’ve been to Skye twice, once with great weather and then my very last camping experience ever in the pouring rain :grin:. This time we’ll have B&B.

1 Like

It’s going to be a great trip @LisaMonsterken! I second @Eri9’s Paper Tiger recommendation in Edinburgh - it’s a lovely stationery shop and well worth a visit :yellow_heart: In Inverness, Leakey’s secondhand bookshop is the stuff of legend! I’ve never been but it’s on my list - Google it for some inspiration! In Stirling, there’s a lovely little museum/gallery called the Smith Gallery - it’s down the hill from the castle so it might not be on your route, but it is a great little museum, it has a nice cafe and surprisingly I found lots of random postcards in their shop - lots of Stirling art and history which might be quite niche, but quite a good mixture! And home to the oldest football in the world! :soccer:

I’ll put that on my list, thank you so much! I’m so happy to be back in Scotland :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

More books than postcards, but Toppings in Edinburgh is grand!

1 Like

Second Toppings - only been to their one in St Andrews, but if they’re similar, it’s definitely worth a visit!

There’s an oxfam in Stirling that might have good postcards, and opposite that, down the stairs to the left of FUBAR, is a proper secondhand bookshop. Otherwise, your most interesting postcards will likely be from the castle shop (there are, of course, a Waterstones and a w h smith in the Thistle shopping centre that will have cards – if you go in, make sure to check out the Thieves Bastion for a little bit of history)

And, of course, Made In Stirling! It’s on the main street up from the Thistle centre, and is full of goodies designed and made solely by people living in Stirling - plenty of unique postcards in there!

Also, if you like coffee and/or vinyl/cassettes/CDs, up the side street hill from the Oxfam is Unorthodox Coffee (v.good) next to Europa Music.

ETA: depending on how long you have in Stirling, if you want a day trip out, head over to Balmaha - the St Mocha’s coffee shop there sells a set of Loch Lomond-specific postcards and greetings cards based on local maps. Check out Conic Crafts in Drymen too (you’ll through there on the way to Balmaha) – no idea if they sell postcards, tbh, but it’s a newly opened locally owned craft store

When you’re heading north, see if you can go through Callander - there’s a proper secondhand bookstore, a toy museum, and a curios/antiques store

2 Likes

I’m in Scotland myself and if you are going to Loch Ness (close to Inverness) then the Loch Ness Clansman Hotel has a wonderful gift shop with lots of postcards!

2 Likes

Thank you all so much, these tips are great :grinning: :heartpulse:

Here’s my list with all of your great recommendations. Maybe someone can use it too.

Where to buy postcards & find cool places in Scotland

Inverness:
• Loch Ness Clansman Hotel - wonderful gift shop with lots of postcards
• Leakey’s secondhand bookshop is the stuff of legend!

St Andrews: Second Toppings

Edinburgh:
• Paper Tiger (a lovely stationery shop and well worth a visit)
• range of museums and art galleries right in the centre of the city

Stirling:
• Smith Gallery - lovely little museum/gallery, it has a nice cafe and lots of random postcards in their shop - lots of Stirling art and history (And home to the oldest football in the world!)
• Oxfam; opposite that, down the stairs to the left of FUBAR, is a proper secondhand bookshop
• castle shop (extra tip: Thieves Bastion in Thistle shopping centre for a little bit of history)
• Made In Stirling: on the main street up from the Thistle centre, and is full of goodies designed and made solely by people living in Stirling - plenty of unique postcards in there!
• Unorthodox Coffee (v.good) next to Europa Music: coffee and/or vinyl/cassettes/CDs

Balmaha - the St Mocha’s coffee shop there sells a set of Loch Lomond-specific postcards and greetings cards based on local maps.

• Conic Crafts in Drymen too (you’ll through there on the way to Balmaha): a newly opened locally owned craft store

Callander - there’s a proper secondhand bookstore, a toy museum, and a curios/antiques store

4 Likes

@bille, kannst du hier schließen? Danke dir!