Anecdotes with your mail carriers

12 posts were split to a new topic: Waterproofing postcards

Iā€™ve always wondered what my postman thought of all the postcards I send and receive, and today I finally got an answer! It made my day :slight_smile:

Iā€™ve been living in the same apartment for close to three years now, and have done Postcrossing for about a year. There are a few different people who deliver our mail, one of whom is an older gentleman I have met early on when he gave us our mailbox keys. I have occasionally chatted with him at the mailbox (which services many different people), but I donā€™t think he ever made the connection between me and the ā€œgirl who receives a bunch of mailā€.

Well today I received a package and he was the one delivering it. He made the connection and asked about the postcards! I told him about Postcrossing and he told me he really enjoyed seeing all the stamps from all over the world. It was a sweet conversation and I was so excited to share it with you all :slight_smile:

20 Likes

I used to talk with my old mail carrier. He always joked around with me. He had told me that the folks at the post office and he really enjoyed all the postcards I would get. Yes, they would sometimes read the messages LOL. With the old folks at the PO, I was extremely notorious for getting mail from other countries. Iā€™m the only Postcrosser in my city. Now I guess his route changed, I never interacted with the new person. Even at the PO, the folks are all different. I miss them a lot!

Most emotional moment is when he hugged me after learning that I graduated. He was telling me that he has seen me grow up. He knows how much I have been through in my life. Heā€™s the only person who hugged me upon learning about my hard earned degree. I had a gift for my mail carrier which I told him I would give when he retires (in 4 more years). He was really curious about what it is. I hope I get to give it to him!

23 Likes

What a heartwarming story! I do hope you run into him again before he retires.

4 Likes

Cool stories in this thread! Thank you all for sharing. Many things are similar here too.

I think post office workers are happy to see postcards getting sent and received. In their area, there is usually only one postcrosser. Everything is online, but hey suddenly they see someone still uses their old postcard service.

When I mention postcards to some people, they are surprised that they still exist. Then they are always happy to hear that postcards still work. I just got one arrive in Australia and that is a miracle. A piece of paper flew alone with no package, nothing, and reached a house on the other end of the world. Miracle.
Post carriers they appreciate that miracle too.

11 Likes

I send and receive at school.
The mailbox of my school is set up for students to write to friends in other schools or to family. So almost everyone just use it to send to (or receive from)people who also lives in my city. Sometimes there will be some travel cards from their friends in other places.
But there is at least 3 postcrossers in my school. It is easy to understand. In my opinion, most of postcrossers from China are students. (Maybe itā€™s because that we are more excited to communicate with people abroad and have more time to writešŸ¤Ŗ. In fact, there is little other people in China still using the POST system.)
I donā€™t know them really. But the mail carrier (In fact, she is a worker of my school. The mailman from the Post Office canā€™t enter the school from time to time, so he(or they) always just give the mails to her, with the magazines and newspapers my school ordered.) She usually put all of the ā€œPostcards With Foreign Letters on the Backā€ together and tie them with a elastic band.
So Iā€™ve done things like this: I go to the mailbox to look for my postcards among many letters and cards, and find a bunch of cards tied up by an elastic band. Then I take all of them to my classroom, read them, and realize that there are some cards to another person. So I go back to the mailbox and put them back.
In fact, there are still some elder people in my country conservative about receiving mails from other countries.

7 Likes

Our former postie retired and so of course there was a new one. He came up the driveway one day to deliver a parcel and saw the old Peugeot 504 in the garage, and asked my father what was happening with the car.

ā€œAh, well,ā€ said my father, ā€œI was going to restore it but I havenā€™t been well enoughā€
ā€œDo you want to sell it?ā€ said the postie.

So thatā€™s how our postie delivered a parcel and went home owning a car. Heā€™s got it almost running properly now, only a few weeks later, and is going to bring it back to show us which will be fun.

17 Likes

Now I live in a large city and have several different mail carriers such that I donā€™t see any one on a regular basis.

Before this I lived in a tiny village of about 450 people and our postmaster there was always quite interested in the mail I sent. There wasnā€™t much mail volume there period and most of it was business mail like from the local bank etc. or people paying bills. When I was younger I had many penpals from other countries (this was very much pre-internet) and I remember fondly many visits to the post office to purchase the correct stamps and the discussions about the countries far away. And later when I joined postcrossing he was always interested to see where I was sending and getting cards as well.

4 Likes

My postman was my lifesaver!!

My name is pretty famous in my post office because I am the only person who receives postcards from around the world constantly for many years.

There was a very important document that was sent to me with the wrongly typed street address. Luckily the postman recognised my name. So, he sent the letter to me. His action actually changed my life and I canā€™t imagine what would have happened if he sent it to the wrong address.

Kudos to the kind postman!

18 Likes

I actually never spoken to my mail person. I have never had a consistent person either. When I moved in, i remember seeing a lady deliever the mail and never again. During the pandemic, it was a skinny guy who wore an American flag bandana over his face. The closest interaction i ever had with him was handing him a letter. He was about my height. 5ā€™10" 178 cm. He had a beard. I knew because one time when he was far away, he took off the bandana. Then in 2021, he was replaced by another guy. This guy was short, maybe 5ā€™7". He was young. He had muscles and had a big butt. Lol. I know. That and the fact that he had a giant rose (not colored) tattooed on his neck were two features that stood out about him. I also handed him a letter and several postcards. As quickly as he appeared, he disappeared.
By 2022, we had a series of random and different carriers a day with whom I had no interaction with. Many of them coming at different times. The majority of carriers do not have a specific time to arrive. They pretty much have a window of when to arrive which is anywhere from 1pm to 4pm, in my area. The last time I saw a carrier was Thursday July 28 2022. I saw the mail truck on the corner and a not quite young but also not quite middle aged black woman with braids putting mail in the boxes. Ate you a mail person in San Diego reading this? Will you ever get North Park, San Diego as a zone? Will you be my next mail person? Time will tell.

I dont know if this counts, but when I would go to the coffeehouse to sit and write letters and post cards, I noticed the same mailman arrive all the time at 1pm. So the only interaction I had was handing finished mail to him. The only thing I remembered about him was he wore a giant straw hat to keep out the sun.

However, I have a somewhat consistent mail person at the post office. A clerk named Nina, but oddly enough, when i first met her, she had a name tag named Rene.

6 Likes

Since joining postcrossing and play on tags I get a lot of card. My mailman used to send me just 2 or 3 envelopes when I was still doing penpal. Now heā€™s delivering me 5 and sometime even 20 cards more frequently, it made him ask how many sack of postcards I have now as a hoarder :sob::sob::sob::sob:
(Itā€™s just a banter)

Iā€™m not even an old member :joy: , so I wonder what he will say after years later

4 Likes

Growing up, we had the same mail carrier for quite a few years. He would always say, ā€œoh hello young miss (my last name),ā€ as a greeting, and would have lollipops and other candy for us kids. At some point he was assigned to another route, but I ran into him years later and he recognized me and remembered my name. There is now a mural in his memory (he passed away a few years ago) not too far from where I grew up.

44 Likes

Wow, a mural in memory of a postman - he must have been very well liked then.

Please show it to all of us here in this topic too

5 Likes

What a nice gesture! He must have been a really great guy to have this done for him.

3 Likes

so interesting and heartwarming to read these stories about peopleā€™s mail carriers and postal workers! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

unfortunately, i found out today that both my favourite post office clerk and regular carrier are moving on to different routes/locations soon; so i thought i might share some stories (this post has been sitting in my drafts forever!):

• my regular mail carrier has flown under the radar ever since i moved to my current place because mail is typically delivered during my working hours. but the pandemic happened and i was home a lot more as i started working remotely - one day i came back from getting a coffee and ran into my carrier. i stopped him to ask a small question about a vacation hold and he asked me what unit i was and i told him. he goes ā€œyou have a lot of friends - you get all the postcards and envelopes, right?!ā€ me: ā€œ:see_no_evil:ā€ turns out i stick out like a sore thumb on his route lol so now we are very friendly and if i run into him, we chat for a bit before he moves to the next adress. i tell him about my life, work and postcrossing and he tells me about his kids and family or teases me when i dont get any mail that day :blush: also my carrier is very consistent so (without fail) will arrive within a 10 min window of when he delivered the previous day! it is so scarily consistent i can always tell when someone is subbing on his route haha
  • today my regular knocked on my door to let me know that his last day on this route will be next friday. omg i am still so sad about this; i am going to miss him alot :two_hearts: i was thinking of getting him something to say thanks for going above and beyond for me but i havenā€™t figured it out yetā€¦stay tuned?
  • special shoutouts to my favourite local post office clerks - i usually will pass my postcards over the counter so i can ask what stamps are in stock. sometimes they will say what they have on hand before i can ask or before i even get in line lol :sweat_smile: sometimes i will send them postcards when i am on vacation too!
  • i once walked into the post office that i usually dont go to and asked the clerk if i could buy a sheet of non-machinable stamps (usually used for the square envelopes but i like using them in combination as part of postage for international postcards). the clerk says ā€œi can tell that this isnā€™t your first time asking because nobody else knows that these stamps existā€ me: ā€œ:see_no_evil:ā€
14 Likes

It happened to me too :scream::joy::joy:

2 Likes

My apartment is a bit old and has 4 stairways to service only 6 apartments, so getting parcels delivered to the right door is a bit of a whack-a-mole (there are signs, but theyā€™re a bit confusing). Often when I hear a knock, Iā€™ll stick my head out the door, and look across to the opposite staircase and see the postie over there, and once we establish that Iā€™m the right person theyā€™ll roll their eyes and either leave it at that door, or pass it through the crack in the two stairways up to me. But I remember one postie who actually found the whole thing absolutely hilarious. I told him he could just leave the parcel at the other door and Iā€™d come get it but he refused and went all the way back down the stairs, around to the other side of the building and all the way back up the other side, chuckling all the way. We had a bit of a chat when he got here, talking about confusing old buildings, and my parrot, who likes to sit on my shoulder when I answer the door. And then by happenstance I had another parcel delivered the next day by the same postie. He came straight to the right door this time and left with a cheery ā€œsee you tomorrowā€ :joy: I havenā€™t seen him since, but the memory always makes me smile.

10 Likes

When I was 12 years old, a friendā€™s mother would take me home to my parents after college. I opened the door to get out, so I was standing in front of the car door when my friendā€™s mother asked me a question, so I sat down to answer herā€¦ At the same time, the mailman backed his car all the way back and smashed the window and the vehicle door. At a second ready I found myself sandwiched between the door and the postmanā€™s carā€¦
Luckily I got nothing.

I live in a very small town, and was pregnant during the height of the pandemic. Because we couldnā€™t have gatherings, a friend threw me a ā€œvirtualā€ baby shower, and many people shipped gifts to me. My mail lady knew I was having trouble walking at this time, so she put all of my packages (some very large!) and my mail in the car, drove them to my house, and even had her husband bring them inside for me. It is worth noting where I live, we do not have mail routes, you pick up mail at the post office only, so she did this in her personal vehicle, on her own time. This is just one of the many kind things our postmistress has done over the years! She also mails our daughter $100 on her birthday and Christmas. :heart:

16 Likes

So far, my mail people seem to be interested in why a relatively young person is visiting and mailing so often! I get the feeling that the post office being local and small means the majority of visitors are a lot older than me. They seem somewhat fascinated by postcrossing which makes me smile :smiley:

4 Likes