All on tips for faster postcard delivery

I’ve sent postcards 2 weeks ago with no update yet from one of them, which brings me to ask what I can do next time to make delivery faster. For example, should I write “air mail” for international delivery, or would it make no difference? And any other tips as well.

8 Likes

I don’t think writing airmail makes a difference, but you can certainly try

I think using the native language (Chinese, Cyrillic or Japanese etc) to write addresses can help speed up processing by the recipient country

6 Likes

Hello,

A lot of postal services use the bottom of the card for some “barcode” so I personaly try not to write Here (washitape seems ok here)

And as @Seracker said, I print the adresses in the local language when it is available.

In order to give me an idea of the travel time of the postcard, I look at the “stat” of the user, the received cards average travel time from my country. It gives an idea :blush:

7 Likes

Patience is the first tip. Post to and from some countries takes weeks and beyond the 60day expiry time. Definitely write the address as the recipient has stated especially if it’s their written language and leave the bottom 1cm to 1.5cm blank to accept the machine sorting codes.

The waiting was so frustrating at the start of my Postcrossing journey but I’m up to 12 travelling and have a nice flow of incoming and outgoing happening. :blush:

11 Likes

And it’s your anniversary on the Postcrossing forum, happy cake day @gailthesnail !

8 Likes

Patience is key.

I had a postcard take 119 days to arrive in China. The longest recieved one was 95 days from South Africa.

3 Likes

NO WAY!! Thanks for noticing! :grin::partying_face:

4 Likes

I think printing the address label helps my mail travel a smidge faster. I print mine using the Phomemo M220 label printer

3 Likes

I write the addresses with a black bic, which makes it stand out from the rest of my writing (red and blue). I like to think it makes a difference.

5 Likes

Happy anniversary @gailthesnail !

Also thanks everyone for the tips, I will definitely note them. If theres more tips, please share with me! :smiley:

4 Likes

Two weeks is not very long, for any cards sent, at least not for me. Occasionally if I am lucky, cards I send to Germany arrive in two weeks. Cards I send to Malaysia from the USA seem to average 4-6 weeks to arrive.
If you want to get an idea of how long it takes for cards to arrive for your recipients, go to their profile and look in the Received category. There you will see how long some cards traveled to reach them, which will give you an idea of how long your card might take to arrive as well.
It is slow starting out in Postcrossing. Hope you enjoy anyway!

4 Likes

I always write the address in block letters, using a blue pen (while I use cursive and colors for the text of the postcard) : this way I hope the card will be easier sorted by machines

1 Like

I write the name of the country in blue and the rest of the address in black.

1 Like

I’ve been told there is a point in using airmail stickers or writing it on the cards. I thought it was pointless because all mail from Norway would be sent by air, but apparently the stickers make sure it travels by air the rest of the way, when it reaches countries that perhaps send a lot of surface mail.

1 Like

I have no idea at which point in the ‘process’ this occurs, but if I mail a postcard to Germany with the round US global stamp (flower), it will take two weeks. If I put three beautiful Forever stamps (overpaying postage by $0.48) it gets there in about 7 days. I realize delivery times are affected by many different variables from world events, to how productive a single person is feeling on any given day :stuck_out_tongue: But it’s a trend I’ve seen for the last month!

1 Like

Thats very interesting! Such a huge leap…

Update My first ever postcard has been registered, and its to someone in the US! Took a total of 30 days.

6 Likes