All About "Repeated Countries" Option

Switched OFF since a few days.
I have 35 of 100 to Russia now, which is enough for me at the moment.

If all your cards travel to 2 or 3 countries and one or more get disrupted it takes a while before they expire and a slot opens up.

Edit: when travelling cards to Russia gets registered I switch Repeated on. Just that I want a max of 25 to 33 % to there.

1 Like

I keep the option off, and a country can still reach 1/3 of all sending and receiving. My point is not about a specific country/region, but the high proportion of any country/region partly determined by the scheme/algorithm. There might be a maximum proportion set in the system.

Hallo Postcrossers,

I am new on postcrossing and do not have much experience. In my settings I have the option, that I only have one traveling card to countries. How is it with expired postcards, when I have this option activ?

For example I have a traveling card to China but it expires, can I send an official postcard to China after the 60 days or must the card be registrated (or 1 year traveling) to send a card to this country again?

Even when you have this option active you can get several addresses from the same country, when there are many members from this country (such as DE, US, RU). Although I don’t think that this happens often to new members with only 5 slots.

I often get addresses from countries after a card from these countries has expired, so I guess expired cards don’t count as duplicates.

1 Like

Expired cards are still on your travelling list, so I suspect these countries are still counted. So if your postcard to China expires, I think you most likely won’t get a new Chinese address. But I might remember wrong.

But even when you have unchecked the option for repeated countries, repetitions can still occur. Especially when one can have many postcards travelling at the same time.

You might click on the i or the learn more link in the settings to learn more (marked with red arrows).

You can read more about this option here All About “Repeated Countries” Option and here Keeping getting the same countries

2 Likes

I got two “exots” :partying_face: with repeated countries and had to check if I accidentally unchecked repeated countries. (No, it´s still checked.)

Last time I sent to Poland and Japan was in December 2020, I think with repeated countries unchecked.

3 Likes

I just pulled a Japan address on repeated countries too! Nice surprise.

1 Like

I reactivated repeated countries a few days ago, hoping to get more German addresses (because they arrive quickly) and instead I got only Russian adresses (which often take a long time) :stuck_out_tongue:

Is it just bad luck, or are more Russian adresses assigned to me because other counties have suspended mail to Russia now? :thinking: :female_detective:

2 Likes

eh. not to discourage you but my traveling list looks like this. the usa today was a nice surprise. they don’t arrive as fast (two weeks) as they used to either. but! once in a while i get other countries like estonia, luxembourg, france, japan… so that’s quite nice.

2 Likes

I always had most of my addresses travelling to Russia. They recently started to arrive faster than they used to in the past few years. Althought there is always a portion that takes forever.

1 Like

Yes, that was my experience for a few months earlier this year. Then I switched repeated countries off, rarely get Russia, but frequently get Germany, which I’m pleased about, for the same reason as you - they generally get there quickly.

1 Like

I only have nine slots, but this is typical of variation for me…

2 Likes

Do you have repeated countries on, or off?

OFF, I suppose, that box has not been ticked/checked.

1 Like

I have a card travelling to someone who has sent 90% of his cards to just 2 countries, how is this possible, he has received from many countries. I thought who we sent to was random. Puzzled .

I think that it is caused by this option

4 Likes

I think @Risaikuru_Ichi is right.
If that option is checked, we most likely will get the same country many times (not always). Usually because there are so many members in that country.

1 Like

I have it turned off right now. I used to use it on my old profile and mostly got Germany, Russia and USA. Maybe after a little while of receiving/registering postcards (have not got any yet…) on this account, I’ll turn it back on.

Maybe it’s a country that has many restrictions when sending mail but not for receiving mail :woman_shrugging: