Addresses in two versions for printing

Hello dear admins,

would it be (technically) possible for Asian and Russian postcrossing addresses to be automatically available in two versions for printing? I noticed that a Russian address I drew in Cyrillic (printed out) was registered in 14 days. The address was provided in both Cyrillic script and Latin script.

Some Russian/Asian addresses in the Latin language either take forever or completely exceed the 60 days…

This is by no means a criticism but just a nice request.

Each of us knows that this project is a lot of work and of course lost postcrossing postcards are unfortunately also part of it…

3 Likes

Postcrossing can only provide the information that the user has given beforehand. So it’s up to each user to provide both options or only the latin letters one.

6 Likes

I’ve sent my first postcards to Russia with Addresses in Latin. They were faster than the postcard I’ve sent with the postcard with the Cyrillic address.

My postcard to China with a address printed out in Chinese took 60 days.

In Russia I think it depends on were the card is going. Big cities are faster than small cities

I have also had the experience that postcards that have a Cyrillic or Chinese address are delivered much faster. Once I was particularly struck when three postcards went to the same region. One address was only in Latin letters, the other two in Cyrillic. The difference was around 20 days between.

Of course it could also just be a coincidence, but I think it really matters. Maybe not in capitol cities but in little places in the countryside.

1 Like

For Chinese address, automatically is not good because it could be wrong.

There are translators in China Post to translate Latin version address to Chinese version.
It costs money to hire the translators because they can translate correctly. A free-of-charge translation system is unable to satisfy the needs of accuracy.

7 Likes

I’m afraid that automatic translation may make crucial mistakes.

For example: I tried to type in Google translator line “Krasnogorskaya str, d. 1, korpus 5”, but in Russian it appeared as “ул. Красногорская, д.2 1, корпус 5”.
Almost the same, but the number of the building has changed from “1” to “2 1”. Postman may think it should be 21 :frowning:

That’s why I filled two versions of my address in the settings myself.

8 Likes

Hello,

thanks very much.

That’s exactly what I meant with the two address options in the profile settings.

I probably expressed myself a bit unclear in the first post. I’m sorry for that :slight_smile: :blush:

When there is an address available in Chinese or Cyrillic, I use that address (I’ve learned a little bit of Chinese, so I’m able to copy the characters and write them the right way).
I know that in China in the rural areas, most people (postmen) can’t read languages other than Chinese. I assume that this will be the same in the rural areas in Russia.
If postcrossers only provided an address in Latin, I’ll use that. Automatic translation into Chinese is bound to go wrong, because there are too many characters that sound the same, but have completely different meanings. I’ve never tried automatic translation into Cyrillic, but that can also cause errors, see message from @Maria_Rus

3 Likes

Hello,
the thing with the double address versions in the profile settings is a great idea.
Hopefully, as many Asian and Russian postcrossing members as possible will change their addresses to the double address versions.

In my initial post, I didn’t mean automatic translation via Google Translate or other automatic translation tools, but that users provide their addresses in Latin and in their national language.

That would be a great idea, so that the postcards hopefully reach their recipients faster :slight_smile:

1 Like