🖼️ About Postcard Wall Images: Are these allowed✅ or not❌?

Hey everyone,

I like sending postcards from the place I’m writing from. And I thought: wouldn’t it be nice to take a picture of the postcard I’m about to send, with the actual place depicted on the postcard as the background of my picture?

In case that’s confusing, this is what I mean by that:

Credit: Picture by Dear Postal

The question is: are these types of images allowed on the Postcrossing image walls?

I think it would be nice for people receiving these cards to see that their postcard was actually at the place they’re depicting and sent from there. It adds a story and enhances the experience (IMHO).

If these were to be allowed, it would also be nice to be able to upload another picture of the postcard itself to show more of its detail. Basically, allowing a small “gallery” per postcard (2 or 3 pictures) instead of just one.

I’d like to know what experts, and everyone else, think about this.

Thank you!

Best to all,

Eric

36 Likes

There are quite a few postcrossers that only upload their cards in a similar way (e.g. holding the card themselves or similar). Of course you may upload them that way!

It might happen though, that the recipient switches out the picture to a scan.

25 Likes

There’s one postcrosser that takes pictures of themselves holding the postcard that they are going to send you, they have done it too all thousands of their sent postcards so I guess it’s ok to do that then​:woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2::woman_shrugging:t2:

5 Likes

I like it!

6 Likes

I’ve done it myself once (Turku Castle) and I like this type of picture. Go for it! If the recipient prefers scanned cards, they have the right to remove or change the picture, though.

20 Likes

I don’t know if that’s allowed but I like that photo and the idea. I don’t think the admins would have any reason not to allow photos like that🤔

7 Likes

Cool idea! If a recipient doesn’t like it, they can always re-upload the card themselves, but I think most of us would feel it adds interest to see the card “on location” like that :smiley:

I feel multiple photos per card would clutter things up a bit though, so I don’t really like that part of the idea. Also it doesn’t really seem necessary - if it’s well done like in the example shown, you can clearly see the card itself even though it’s part of a scene, so a second photo of just the card would be redundant.

8 Likes

I send a postcard in 2019 and the person who received it change the image I had uploaded to image of him holding my postcard sitting in front of the snow capped mountain.

I thought myself that kind of peculiar. I looked at his wall and he does that every postcard he gets.

If it makes him happy I don’t mind.

7 Likes

I don’t see any problem with upload such pictures. Recently a user sent me mail with some small goodies. I uploaded the photo that shows card and goodies.

4 Likes

A very nice idea. Attracts attention in a good way.

2 Likes

I had similar profile, and when I looked the received ones, I thought this person is the person in the cards, and thought who is this, obviously celebrity, that I don’t recognise, but most seem to have cards of :smile:

But, I like that style, were the card and reality are together :slight_smile:
but maybe not more images, as then I believe this increases the risk that some members think the “other” image places are reserved for the message side.

2 Likes

I could not disagree more! I love seeing the actual place and the card, it makes it much more real. But if the recipient doesn’t want this image on their wall they can delete or replace

5 Likes

I thought they meant the multiple images of a same card (is not intention of Postcrossing)?

2 Likes

Except that cards sometimes arrived scratched, etc. Perhaps I’m in error, but I thought the instructions indicate uploading the card, and only the card?

1 Like

Why can that bother you? Or for what reason should this not be allowed?
In my opinion, it is a sign of appreciation for the senders when the recipients show the received postcard in their way.
Btw - YES, I like it! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

The rule (stated in the FAQ) is to only upload the image side of the card and not the address/written side. So as long as only the image side is shown, uploaded pictures can include other things.

5 Likes

I have created collages for the two views of some holographic- type cards. See:

Globe US-8524804
Hot Air Balloons US-7664689
(If you tilt either of these cards, a second image appears - I don’t remember the term for that.)

I also try to do collages when I send or receive two cards. Sometimes it’s just not physically possible or the subjects are just too different. But I do try to put an image on my wall reflecting (especially) the wonderful things I’ve received.

5 Likes

This type of images is not explicitly excluded in the rules. And as long as no other rules are violated (e.g. by publishing sensitive data), I don’t think there is anything against it.

Personally, I have seen some wonderful images of this kind on Postcrossing.

However, you have to expect that the receipient maybe delete those images and upload their own.

4 Likes

I like it, I’d love to see such image on my received postcard. If a person doesn’t like them, they can always remove or replace it, no harm done.

1 Like

Actually, I find it a great idea, it would be awesome to create a topic on the forum about it!