Ability to delete postcard on sender’s end

@littlesthobo I think you were talking to me. People post the back side instead of the image side. I like to browse the gallery sometimes, and I stumble upon this quite often.

Yes. When you reply to the person directly above you, it does not come up as a typical reply does. Thanks for responding. I have not seen this yet. How bizarre. I don’t know why someone would do this.

1 Like

I think many are newbies who don’t know not to do it. In other postcard exchanging communities, it seems to be common practise to send a photo of the text side as proof that the card was sent. Maybe they think the upload function is something like that? I don’t know. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes

I had no idea @Feuerstuhl Gesa that other projects can postcard exchange. I thought Postcrossing was unique. What are the advantages of Postcrossing compared to others?

Apologies if a bit off topic…but helps to understand why new Postcrossers upload non image side.

Perhaps you’re right. I have heard of people sending proof. In fact, in some forum swaps I have had it happen. To me, it is unnecessary and ruins the surprise.

1 Like

I am not sure because I don’t participate in any others. From what I’ve heard, I think Postcrossing is unique in its randomness and surprise. In the other communities, you arrange swaps more like we do in the forum, where you know and can choose which cards are sent to you and by whom. But this is only guesswork.

And I probably exaggerated. It is not common to find the wrong side in the Postcrossing Gallery. But I’ve seen it more often than I am comfortable with.

3 Likes

Thanks to everyone who took the time to read this and/or reply!

Some people were asking why someone would leave an address, or couldn’t visualise what I meant by back of card / my message being scanned. I didn’t think about providing examples for clarity, so I guess it’s time to remedy it (even though it’s a little late, lol)?

Example 1 - thankfully the contents and my address are quite blurred, so I didn’t really bother…some sharp-eyed people might still be able to guess what’s written, though!

Example 2 - clear cut example of not scanning the front/picture side of the card :crazy_face:

Example 3- technically the “front” of the card, but with the addresses in full view…

Links to cards with addresses removed by moderator
Please report the images to the support team so that they can be removed from the wall.

I don’t know if by putting up these cards as examples, I’m actually breaking any rules - Moderators, please feel free to remove the links or cards if it’s against the rules posting them as examples.

Actually, I enjoy writing longer notes (or should they be called “letters” since they’re like 2 pages long?? haha) and sending little surprises in the mail, especially if it seems like the Postcrosser on the receiving end is welcoming of such exchanges.
Therefore, it’s a tad annoying when recipients post such images without blurring things. I get that they’re probably really happy to get something different in the mail, but…I mean, this is a private exchange… :sweat_smile:

The best part is when the photo they post shows a clear view of all the things I send, AND the contents of the letter, AND the back of the envelope with my full address and name on it. I really don’t know what to say :joy: :joy: :joy:

Showing the textside of a card is not okay and I would report those uploads via the contact button on the main page. But as long as they do not show more than their own address, it will be okay.

2 Likes

I really think you are supposed to send postcards as officials and not letters. In the case of example 3, I think the recipient was trying to show the front of the card, you just put an address on it for some reason? I’m not sure what else they could do in order to record the postcard via photo to upload. And isn’t it their own address they are showing? In that case, I’m not understanding the problem.

1 Like

There’s also the “from” address, they should cover it.

And to me looks like there is postcard but also letter and something extra, many people like to receive such. (It’s so weird to show the letter! )

1 Like

I always send a postcard even if it’s a “letter”. So, one postcard and maybe one or two pieces of paper :grin:

And about the card with the “to” and “from” addresses…Yup! Like what @S_Tuulia said, cover the “from” address :wink:

edit
Forgot to mention…I put the “from” address there as (1) I’ve seen other Postcrossers putting a return address and it’s not a bad practice, especially if the mail bounces, and (2) without a second speech bubble, the front of the card somehow looks quite empty and a little less cheerful :blush:

1 Like

Oh ok. I misunderstood and thought you were just sending letters.

I think that many people do not know how to edit photos. So I wouldn’t put your address on the part people are likely to photograph. You can always put it on the written side. I am confused. Are you saying the picture side of this postcard is just the person’s address?

No worries! Thought it was clear in the photo, guess it was too blur lol

Well, some people do it the old fashioned way and put a post-it/small paper over the addresses to block it off - have seen it done before! :grin:

Regarding the card with the address in the front - the front is decorated to look like the animal saying the addresses…and back has more decorations.

I love handmade cards. I’m sure it was appreciated. The problem might not be with the card itself so much as putting personal info on both sides. I think that does make it difficult to photograph. I agree that they should have covered personal information. However, in this case, there wouldn’t be much left to show.

1 Like