Ability to delete postcard on sender’s end

Not sure if such a suggestion has been raised before - didn’t see anything via a quick search - but maybe it’s a good idea to implement the ability on the sender’s end to delete uploaded photos of postcards?

Sometimes addresses are shown, or worse still the contents of my note / letter to the recipient AND address is shown!

Have no idea if those who upload everything wholesale have not read the guidelines, have no sense of danger, or just plain can’t be bothered lol. But it doesn’t feel right to so openly expose other’s addresses / private messages - even if it’s to them and they feel it’s ok to broadcast their own address to all and sundry, it ultimately involves another person who may not feel the same way.

The correct thing of course is to contact the recipient to ask for their help, but sometimes they just don’t respond, or become inactive.

In such instances, giving the sender the option to delete the photo would be good…

Thoughts? Or am I just being a sensitive strawberry/snowflake hahaha

4 Likes

No, you’re not overreacting, people should not be posting your address or the written side of the card and you should contact Admin to fix the situation here Contact us

Having said that, it’s been determined quite a long time ago, after exhaustive discussion, that once the card has been received, the image belongs to the receiver & only they or Admin can delete or change the image. I’ll try & find the link for you.

7 Likes

Ahh, thank you! Yes, I’m aware you can contact the admin, but I thought such an option would help cut down their workload :sweat_smile:

Thanks for your response and sharing that such a discussion took place! Didn’t see it at all

2 Likes

I do agree in a way with @LuserinaBarows. I don’t really understand why the image should belong to the receiver only. I sent a postcard (one of the postcards that I liked the most) to someone who decided to delete it, even if I explained to him in the postcard why I liked it so much. Of course, it’s just a picture, but I saw that this person decided to delete all the images of the postcards he recieved from a certain day on. And he didn’t answer me when I asked him about that… I know it’s just a picture, and that the postcard doesn’t belong to us anymore anyway, but still. Well, this message might be a bit out-of topic, but I think that receiver and sender should be more or less on an equal footage.
That’s it :blush:
Wish you all to receive many beautiful postcards :heart:

6 Likes

I once saw a profile where the member announces that she deletes all postcard photos upon receipt to address the issue of “global bandwidth.”

2 Likes

Really? But what does “global bandwith” mean?

My opinion is that there is no need to delete the recipient’s photo, for this there is the possibility to contact the admin, who is here if the photo is annoying or shows the written text. I would rather have the option under the photo to report the photo as inappropriate content so that it can be seen more quickly by the admin. If everyone could delete the photos as they wished, it could happen that none would remain on the profile.

4 Likes

I don’t know either, but she stated it as though bandwidth usage concern was a known “issue”!

2 Likes

It is curious… If someone understands, don’t hesitate to explain :blush:

Maybe they meant that they want to save space on servers where photos are stored

3 Likes

Oooh, interesting hypothesis! It would actually be true to know more or less Postcrossing’s carbon footprint… If it’s for this reason, I do completely understand then.
Thanks Lenka!
:recycle: :heart:

1 Like

Using the internet in general, and streaming services especially, requires much electricity (for example for various things related to the servers, including cooling them) which in turn is generated mostly from non-green sources still.

So yes, reducing the bandwidth usage (meaning in very simplified terms just using less internet) is a way to reduce the carbon footprint - even not uploading a photo counts in a minuscule way.

4 Likes

What is inappropriate to everyone?

1 Like

Not taking part in Postcrossing reduces this footprint even much more, for there would not be any postcrossing cards to need to be send to or from you.

3 Likes

I know :wink: I wasn’t suggesting we stop using the internet, it’s not possible anymore :smiley: However, the issue is there and it is being discussed as one of the fastest growing contributors to the CO2 generation.

5 Likes

I’m sorry, but why do you write your address? It’s absolutely unnecessary on a postcard.

1 Like

Some postcrossers include their own addresses just in case there’s sudden change in the mail routes (closed) or the address of the reciever isn’t clear, the mails can be returned

7 Likes

@RalfH
What violates the rules of postcrossing.

1 Like

Almost or maybe even all of my messages on the main site to the Postcrossing Team have been about images on Postcard Walls where the text side was shown. Adding a report button or adding this as a topic one can choose for contacting the team would be nice.

3 Likes

I’m not exactly clear on what’s happening… Are you saying people are posting the backside of the card instead of the image? Or are you saying you are writing on the image side of the card?