A profile without postcard preferences

I participated in art tags in the old forum. I sent a photo of artefact. I believe artefact is art but the receiver questioning my choice because he expected art painting.
On the other hand my tagger sent me cover of DC comics. Well, I didn’t expect comic art as “art” :sweat_smile:

It’s difficult to explain art because everyone has their own perspective on art.

7 Likes

If you write enough about yourself and your interests, there will be something to base card choice on. No need to make a list.

I’m always suspicious of people with entirely blank profiles. I check their sent cards and send something of a similar standard.

1 Like

I made the mistake once of mentioning the blank profile of someone. Turned out it was a 10 year old kid, and he’s never sent a card again…

Oh no!! :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Thank you all for your interesting replies.
I have changed my profile back to the way it was, but I have added the possibility to surprise with a card of choice.

2 Likes

I like it when there is some hint what the person might like, but if there is not, I just pick the card that first catches my eye when flipping through my blank cards.
I do not like when the wishes leave me with a narrow range of cards I “can” send. I’ll choose what fits best, but usually I’m not too happy with it as it always feels an insufficient compromise.

I left some hints of what I like on my profile but also that I’m absolutely okay with everything else.

2 Likes

If I have a profile that offers me no inspiration whatsoever, I try to find this person on Facebook. Sometimes I’m lucky and can still please the person. If not, I often send a Covid-related card. If they mention young children in the profile, I go for something child-friendly. I hope this does not make me look like a stalker :sweat_smile: I suppose I’m just a people-pleaser, like most of us.

2 Likes

There is a broader question here I think. I like the opportunity to please the recipient. If the profile offers some biographic data and interests, then even if no particular postcard preferences to go by, I have some idea of what to choose. If I have nothing to go by, I make a random choice and who knows what happens.

Having said that, perhaps that is the desire of the recipient; some will make bold random choices and some timid random choices, and what you get is luck of the draw.

I conclude there is no good answer here.

4 Likes

I love the fact that some Postcrossers are very easygoing and say simply “send anything”. If there is no clue to what they love most, I do worry that they may not find what I send interesting, but that speaks more about my perfectionism than it does about them! They obviously welcome serendipity in their lives (and their letterbox!)

As a rule of thumb, this is how I feel about profiles:

Suggestions for what to write :slightly_smiling_face:
I love this, especially if it’s something unique I would never have considered.

Preferences for the picture on the card, with details about interests and passions :slightly_smiling_face:
I have collected lots of different subjects now, so I enjoy picking a card someone will really appreciate. But it’s worth remembering this is just a bonus.

"Send anything" :slightly_smiling_face:
Lovely. I’ll probably send you something that shows off the landscape of my country, unless I can guess one of your interests from something else you’ve written.

Profile with strict demands :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
The only profile I find disappointing.

11 Likes

I drew an address yesterday for someone who hadn’t entered a profile. Nothing at all. They have been active for a little over a year and have sent and received a handful of cards. Last seen about four weeks ago.

I was a bit disappointed at first, but I ended up picking a somewhat generic, if pretty card, wrote something fairly straightforward and sent it today.

I sort of regret this now, not that I think I did anything wrong. But perhaps they have a good reason they are not more active, little money to spare, struggling with mental health, are very young or anything else. So next time I think I’ll try to put in a little extra effort, and perhaps I can make their day a little better.

7 Likes

I don’t have a problem with people who write “send me anything”. I personally prefer people who don’t have a exact wishlist but more a text about their interests, life etc. So you can be a bit creative and search for things you thibk they like or maybe looking in the favourites. But also some wishes are ok for me. I only hate the profiles who have some specific wishes and a looooong list of things they don’t want to get.

well that’s a great way to look at it! honestly sometimes when i stumble upon an empty profile i feel like sending my nicest card out would be a bit of a waste, maybe i can make someone else happier with that card. but then again i don’t believe i have ugly cards. and unless someone states they don’t like decorated cards, i love putting on some washitape and stickers. and writing a kind message doesn’t cost anything so i always try to do that.
though yesterday i got an empty hurray message from a card i quite loved myself but oh well, that’s only one person.

3 Likes

:flushed::flushed::flushed:
Now I’m very happy that I don’t use my full name in my postcrossing address, and I also have a modified name on Facebook…:flushed:
Okay, I guess being on Facebook means you’ve already given up your privacy, but it feels very awkward to think someone would search me like that.

I think profiles should be about the person and not the postcards (which, by the way, is what the guidelines say, I was shocked by wishlists when I first joined and as a newbie I had to consider whether I wanted to continue, or quit). I got used to wishlists but if they are not accompanied by something more, I’m not too fond of that. I am happy when I find profiles without wishlists.

5 Likes

I myself have a profile where you can find my hobby’s, what I like to drink, the work I do. I have no wishlist.
Still I get the most wonderfull cards with topics specially picked for me.
When I have to send a card to somebody who has a long wishlist I will try to pick a card they like. But sometimes the profile only excists with wishlist. Then I don’t know if I’m writing to a man, brother, father, carpenter?
That feels a bit empty

Jennemieke

2 Likes

I wouldn’t recommend putting “send me anything” because some people will dump junk on you. Just take some time and write something brief about you and your interests.

3 Likes

Reading this kinds of things makes me happy about the fact that I consider carefully what I join. Before I joined, I had already read some members profiles and looked at the postcards to get an idea what kind of persons here are. Also I had a look at the forum. I read everything I could before joining, the guidelines, faq etc. So, I think the only surprise was the popularity of food cards :slight_smile:

But to the topic, if there is no preferences, no problem, as while I’m reading the profile, I normally get an idea what card I’d like to send to her/him. If there’s no profile, I send something I like.
If it says “send anything you like”, I do it. Probably an illustration, because I love such cards.
But, often I look at her/his sent cards, if they only send photo type cards, I assume that is their favourite type, and might choose such kind. Of if they have favourite wall, something with similar style or theme they have there.

1 Like

Me too! It does sound a little stalky to me. (And I am not in Facebook, which again makes me happy.)
I prefer getting a card based and what one likes to send, or what they think I might like according to my profile here. Not anywhere else.

4 Likes

I once had someone send me a card with the message that they had looked up where I lived on Google street view which made me extremely uncomfortable. I don’t give much guidance on my profile, though, and I don’t have Facebook (even though I do have a blog online) so maybe they thought they had to resort to such extreme measures to find something to say to me.

1 Like

As said in my comment, I only do this when the profile is a total blank. I find these profiles the hardest to please, especially if there are no favourites on the wall. I suppose I take the extra step to try and please, but maybe I shouldn’t bother if the person doesn’t bother writing preferences or hobbies or whatsoever in the profile.

i’m very glad i don’t have facebook. i want people to send me cards and write things based on my postcrossing profile, not on anything else i’ve ever said on the internet. if people leave their profile blank i’m sure they have a perfectly good reason for that and i don’t think that reason is they want you to snoop around in their private life.

for the same reason i don’t like people registering a card and sending a thank you message after (or even ask to put your profile name on the card you’re sending). i’m sending this card and i choose to write this thing to you, why would you feel the need to react to something else?

3 Likes