9 November 2024 - Meetup & Book Exchange, Aurora, CO

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Aurora, CO
:round_pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: Aurora Public Library (Hoffman)
:calendar: DATE: 9 November 2024 (Sign up cutoff 23 October for book exchange organization)
:alarm_clock: TIME: 1200-1600
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN: As our group has gotten exponentially bigger from our very first meetup, this meetup will be at the Aurora Public Library (Hoffman Library, 1298 Peoria St, Aurora, CO 80011)! The plan for the November Meetup is to sign meetup cards and hang out with like-minded friends! Since this will be at the library (Room has been reserved as of 19 July, thank you Tyler with Aurora Public Library!), we will also be doing a… SURPRISE BOOK EXCHANGE! This will be similar to our gift exchange we did a couple years ago for Christmas; I will collect all of the answers and send you your book exchange partner’s name and answers late October, around 2 weeks before the meetup so we all have time to pick the perfect book. When you sign up to attend the meetup, please send me answers to the following:

1. What genre of books do you enjoy? (Yes, comic books count!)
  2. Hardcover or paperback?
  3. Would you be okay with receiving a gently used, secondhand book?
  4. If you could be a character in any book, who would it be, and why?

The Aurora Public Library (Hoffman):

The meeting room has a MAXIMUM allowance of 72 people, but I am limiting the meetup to 30. Food and drinks are not allowed in the room (if you would like to bring water, please make sure it is in a spill proof bottle and you can keep it in your bag while not drinking it), and the room will more than likely need to be set up prior- we have a maximum of 4 hours in the room including set up/tear down. The rental cost is $17 (But guess what? Tyler with Aurora Public Library was awesome, helped me reserve and waived the rental fee this time! So, the cost to rent the room is…$0!), so if we have 17 attendees, the cost would be $1 a person. I always try my best to keep meetup costs as low as possible, to include the meetup cards :slight_smile:

Meetup Cards!

Depending on quantity and sale (I always try to order them during a sale!), they are usually between $0.17 and $0.25 a piece.

Process of signing cards:

Prior to the meetup, I will separate card quantities for each individual person and put each bundle into its own envelope. The outside of the envelope will have who the envelope belongs to as well as a list of each person attending. These envelopes will be passed from left to right during the signing phase of the meetup, and after you have finished signing each card in the envelope, you will put a check next to your name to show that you have signed the cards in that envelope! :slight_smile: If all goes well, by the time you get your card back, all names will have been checked off of the list. If you are late, don’t worry about it- we will pass your bundle around the table as well, you will just have quite a bit of signing to do once you arrive! :joy: If something comes up, please feel free to send me a quick message through Postcrossing or a text (If you don’t already have my number, I will send it out with the Meetup reminder the week before the date)- I will be keeping an eye out for either, just in case!

What will we be doing?

• Spending time with awesome, like-minded people from our Postcrossing community!
  • Swapping postcards and signing our meetup cards!
  • Share our Postcrossing stories!

Items to bring to the meetup:

1. Postage stamps
  2. Postcards to exchange/send out after meetup
  3. Rubber stamps/pen/markers to sign meetup cards
  4. Washi tapes, stickers, fun decorations for your cards
  5. Envelope/folder to safely bring your meetup cards back home
  6. A jacket! (Just in case it’s chilly inside of the building!)

Those who attended our last meetup:

1. @snailmailkait
  2. @wanderfrolics
  3. @karissaplans
  4. @Mopothoper
  5. @Cachefan
  6. @Pstcrdldy
  7. @CrimsonKing
  8. @HoosierWyomingite
  9. @LeftyLydia
  10. @EJGorski
  11. @Musiclover79
  12. @jrowley
  13. @Tracy-CO
  14. @TabithaCO
  15. @munkymar
  16. @Highlander18
  17. @mteton
  18. @carried_away
  19. @ShadZ & Beth
  20. @yobriannas

Those who will be attending the November Book Exchange Meetup:

1. @snailmailkait
  2. @HoosierWyomingite (25 cards)
  3. @yobriannas (20 cards)
  4. @EJGorski (25 cards)
  5. @Highlander18 (20 cards)
  6. @PCBlue
  7. @karissaplans

Tentative:

1. @wanderfrolics
  2. @sending_serendipity (20 cards)
  3. @theadventuringheidi
3 Likes

Count me in, Kait! You did an awesome job with the May 25th meetup, and I’m excited to know there’s already another one in the works! I’ll PM you with my answers to the “bookish” questions …see you all again in November!

2 Likes

YES YES YES YES!!! SO EXCITED. Put me down for 20 cards, I’ll absolutely be there.

And I’d love to participate in the book exchange!

1. What genre of books do you enjoy? (Yes, comic books count!)
    Graphic novels, fantasy, sci-fi, romance, informational non-fiction
  2. Hardcover or paperback?
    Both!
  3. Would you be okay with receiving a gently used, secondhand book?
    Absolutely.
  4. If you could be a character in any book, who would it be, and why?
    I would want to be Karou from “Daughter of Smoke & Bone” - because she lives in Prague and her hair naturally grows as the color blue! No dye needed.
2 Likes

Hi Kaitlyn,
I will definitely be there for this awesome meetup! I would like 25 cards. I will answer the questions in the email you sent me. You are the best and I can’t wait for another great meetup!

1 Like

Woohoo! :smiley: Thank you for all your planning and hard work! I hope I can go but I will know later on :+1:t2:

2 Likes

Kaitlyn,

You are so awesome! Since it’s still quite a ways away — I’m not yet sure if I’ll be able to attend. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:t2: Either way, you can put me down for 20 postcards!

1 Like

May I please be added as tentative? It has become hard to plan my life too far in advance, and of course, never know what weather will do in November (I’m in Cheyenne). But I am interested!

2 Likes

Yes, I would like to attend. 20 cards, please.

1 Like

Hello Kait! I would love to do this. I have never been to a Postcrossing meet before, but totally look forward to it. So with that being said, you may have to explain what you mean by how many cards I need put down for, if you do not mind. I can hazard a guess, but would rather be certain.
As for the questions,

1. Sci-fi or fantasy. I also love a good comic book
  2. I would prefer paperback, but would not turn down a hardback. Sometimes surprises are more fun.
  3. A used or secondhand book is all good with me.
  4. As for a character that I would love to be? I would be Bink from A Spell for Chameleon, by Piers Anthony. If you want to know, you have to read the book! Only joking, he is a magician class character that does not know he is a very gifted magician.

I look forward to meeting some fellow Postcrossers!! Peace
Jimbo

2 Likes

I love it and I’m in!!

1 Like