7 October 2023 - Dubai UAE Meet Up

Hi Ruselina . Which one of the Meet Up cards would you like? (see top of thread)

Hello, I would like to swap the 2nd postcard. Below is my offer.

Can we swap?

Hi there! Yes, please private message your address and I’ll send mine. Best wishes,

PM sent

Dear Postcrosser,
My name is Meike and I live in Netzschkau, Saxony.
Who would exchange this Meetup card with me? In return, the person also receives a Meetup card from Germany.
Kind regards Meike

Hello Meike, Please private message your address and I’ll send mine. Is it the night view card you’d like? Best wishes, Rosslyn

Can you PM your address please

Good morning! Can you private message your address and I’ll send the card(s) you like. Looking forward to hearing from you. Rosslyn.

@Zandy @s1mon @Bavarian-Blues Good morning! Can you private message your address and I’ll send the card(s) you like. Looking forward to hearing from you. Rosslyn.

1 Like

Good morning! Can you private message your address and I’ll send the card(s) you like. Looking forward to hearing from you. Rosslyn.

On Saturday 7th October, UAE Postcrossers held a Meet Up at Al Khoory Courtyard Hotel in Dubai, in conjunction with the Emirates Philatelic Association; a natural partnership, as without stamps, where would we Postcrossers be?!

Although some of the philatelists are also Postcrossers, not all of them had heard of Postcrossing, so it was a perfect opportunity to give a short introduction, against a backdrop of the history of the postcard. We gained some new members from this too!

Mr Javaid Mohammed, who is both a Postcrosser and a philatelist, then gave us a great presentation on the History of the Postal Service in the UAE, beginning in the early 1900s, before the UAE, in its present form, was born. It was a fascinating and insightful address, from which we all learnt something new. It certainly made us appreciate the postal difficulties in the early days.

Finally, we were honoured and very privileged to meet our surprise guest; Mr Narain R Sawlani. A retired business man, his passion has always been photography, which he began at the age of 10. In 1958 Mr Narain arrived in Dubai as a young graduate and began photographing the every day scenes of a growing city. He was the first photographer in the area to use colour photography, and it is from his images that some of the earliest postcards, depicting scenes of Dubai, were produced.

Mr Narain regaled us with tales of borrowed photography equipment and how he had sent films to Europe and the United States for developing, long before studios here were able to develop film. Over 6 decades later, Mr Narain had amassed a huge collection of images and in 2005, published a book; “Dubai Creek Past and Present”. Mr Narain provided us all with autographed postcards of Dubai views taken in the 1960s, a treasured memento of a wonderful day.

While philately is about collecting, Postcrossing, as all know, is about connecting; but one doesn’t exclude the other, and I think our Meet Up proved that point very well. Connections were made, collections were discussed! We had a good balance of listening, talking, stamping, writing, a game and of course, eating a delicious lunch at some point in between! We all learnt something new, we all enjoyed ourselves, and that my friends, is surely the sign of a day well spent!

We now look forward to our next Postcrossing Meet Up on November 18th at the Sharjah 2023 Stamp Exhibition, held at Mega Mall Sharjah. Full details to follow and will be posted by Wafa who is kindly organising the Meet Up. SAVE the DATE! Looking forward to seeing you there!

Photo credits with thanks to Sam, Wafa, Sarah, Alina and Weny.

1 Like

More pics from the day! Photo credits with thanks to Sam, Wafa, Sarah, Alina and Weny.

3 Likes