28 October 2023 - Halloween Themed Meetup in Providence, RI

:world_map: CITY/REGION: Providence, Rhode Island
:round_pushpin: MEETUP PLACE: Rochambeau Library, 708 Hope St, Providence, RI
:calendar: DATE: Saturday, October 28th, 2023
:alarm_clock: TIME: 1pm to 3pm EST
:page_facing_up: MEETUP PLAN: Join Ashley and Maureen for a SWEET Halloween themed meetup in the community room of the library. We promise no TRICKS, just TREATS as we gather to share our love of Postcrossing. We will sign meetup cards (design is below), write out postcards, chat with our new friends, and play a few games!

POSTCARD ROULETTE:
Everyone please bring with you at least 3 “trash” postcards, or postcards you’d like to get “rid of.” We will be playing roulette with these postcards by choosing numbers!

RAFFLE PRIZE: One basket of postal related goodies will be given to the name pulled of members in attendance at the meetup. Included in the basket are: the brand new USPS Stamp Art 2024 Wall Calendar, a Boxed set of ocean themed photo postcards, one sheet of USPS Winter Woodland Animals stamps, 2.5 inch Die Cast Metal USPS Mail Truck Keychain, set of 5 hand drawn floral mail art envelopes (postcard size) plus a few other postal surprises.

HALLOWEEN COSTUMES (Optional):
Small prize for anyone showing up in a costume or Halloween t-shirt
Bonus prize for BEST Postal/Postcard/Mail related costume

Bring stamps, stickers, your best pens, signature ink stamp if you have one, etc. We’re still designing the official meetup card but we’ll probably order between 200-300 cards. If you haven’t been to a meetup before, everyone usually signs each card. It’s not required you have a signature rubber stamp with your Postcrossing username but it’s easier signing this many cards with one rather than by hand. Feel free to ask about websites & guidelines for ordering your own. Stickers with your username are also handy for the cards. Please just make sure they are not larger than 1 inch.

Hope Street has a wonderful array of little shops and restaurants near the library for you to have lunch either before or after the meeting. Frog and Toad https://www.frogandtoadstore.com/ is an eclectic gift shop that carries a selection of Providence postcards if you’d like some local postcards while you’re here. They are located at 795 Hope Street.

The Providence Post Office located at 24 Corliss St, Providence, RI is open 8am to 6pm on Saturdays if you need postage stamps. They are a 5 minute drive from the library, depending on traffic. There are several blue collection boxes on Hope Street if you have stamped your cards and want to mail them after the meeting.

If you are interested in meeting local postcrossers, please join us. Get in touch for more details

HOPE to see you soon in Providence!

Co-hosted by @snailmail_ashcubes and @WalkinMomma

:point_up: Please make sure to read the Meetup Guidelines before signing up for a meetup.

5 Likes

This sounds like a great time; count me in!

It will be great to see my Rhode Island postcrosser pals again and to make some new friends.

Thanks for hosting!

FionaT

1 Like

Tagging those who might be interested:

@evolving62 @Odie192 @GBliss @LisaSaurusRex @AmandaSC @AprilSun66 @kellymy

1 Like

@MailedByMsNik @kristencat @sarahaeyo @bluedecemberart @volvomom @dezelina51

1 Like

It’ll be great to see you again!

1 Like

Thank you for tagging me! I’m going to see if I can make it work!

@WalkinMomma - Can you send me the link for signature stamp guidelines? I’m trying to 3D-print one for 10/1 in Niagara Falls! :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi, I have links for a few online companies to purchase personalized stamps but i don’t have links for guidelines. Basically you don’t want it more than an inch. Preferably smaller in case there are lots of members at a meetup. When i ordered mine i want sure about the sizing so i ordered two sizes. The smaller one i use more often but the larger one is nice to have in case there aren’t too many members at a meetup.

I hope this helps!

2 Likes

Thanks for the invite but I have plans this day! Have fun!

1 Like

This post here has a few links and some good ideas about signature stamps.

https://community.postcrossing.com/t/custom-ink-stamps/242251

This looks like fun. Count me IN! And thank you for the tag. I had missed this one. Anyone here going to the October 1/World Poscard Day Meet Up in Boston?

Garry

2 Likes

Hi Garry,

Happy to hear you’ll be able to make our Halloween Meetup. I plan on taking the train up to Boston on the 1st for the WPD. I am excited for it. Also excited that Boston has a post office that will be open on the first to have my cards postmarked on WPD.

1 Like

Thanks for the invite. I’m going to try, now that I have my car back :smiley:
I’ll let you know as soon as I do.
I’m also interested in receiving info on the stamp? and any other info you think I’ll need. This will be my first meet-up! :star_struck:

Thank you,
Judi

2 Likes

Oh, just saw your post about the stamp! Thank you

1 Like

Hi! I’d love to attend, is it OK if I bring my daughter with me?

1 Like

Hi! Love your interest in our meeting. We would love to have you attend. Have you been to any Postcrossing meetups before? Generally at meetups the large majority of the time is spent signing the meetup cards. We’ll all be sitting around one large table signing/stamping cards and passing them to the next person around the circle. After all the cards are signed, we divvy up the cards amongst those who have purchased cards. Older children might be be okay for the 90 minutes or so it’ll take to sign cards. Younger children might get restless and/or bored during that time.

1 Like

Hi! Yes, I hosted a couple meet-ups in the area years and years ago (Salem, MA, Portsmouth, NH, and Boston). My kid is 2.5 - I think I could keep her entertained (especially if I can drag my husband to come along and bring her into the children’s room), but I don’t want to be annoying with a kid if that’s not the vibe of the group. I’ll check back in as the date gets closer - maybe if it’s a small group, would be more OK for us than a large group? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think checking back in closer to the date sounds like a great idea. Once we get a better idea of how many members will be attending it will be easier to make a decision. If your husband is able to come, she might have more fun in the children’s section of the library where there are more things to entertain a younger child.

1 Like

Count me in!

2 Likes

I look forward to this my first post crossing meet up! See you then. Susan

2 Likes

Rileyprint has a nice website to design and order custom stamps. Postcrosser Logicoverflow told me about them last weekend.

1 Like